ensuring an image is running

cbeler
Hi

I'm also looking for a way to ensure that an image is running. Does
people know how to do that in Linux ?

Also, is there a way to detect if squeak is crashed but not closed ?
(As I'm actually using seaside, maybe there is a way to know that when
the web app return web error pages)...

if someone has an idea on to that ;)

Thanks in advance

Cédrick

--------------------------------
L'ENIT vous invite a sa journee portes ouvertes le 17 mars 2006 de 13h30 a 19h30

Enit , 47 avenue d'Azereix 65000 Tarbes
 Bus N°1, arret ENI

Re: ensuring an image is running

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno gio, 16/03/2006 alle 13.03 +0100, Cédrick Béler ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> I'm also looking for a way to ensure that an image is running. Does
> people know how to do that in Linux ?

The Daemontools are a good solutions to that:
http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html

        Giovanni

Re: ensuring an image is running

Yanni Chiu
Cédrick Béler wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm also looking for a way to ensure that an image is running. Does
> people know how to do that in Linux ?

The image running (as far as the OS is concerned) doesn't mean that
the image can respond to requests.

> Also, is there a way to detect if squeak is crashed but not closed ?
> (As I'm actually using seaside, maybe there is a way to know that when
> the web app return web error pages)...
>
> if someone has an idea on to that ;)

I posted on the seaside list last week, but didn't get any answers.
(The subject was: [seasidehosting] image frozen, with aside on /robots.txt).

I'm beginning to suspect that it is robot activity causing the
freeze up. Twice now, I looked at my seasidehosting log to find
a GoogleBot line near the end. My suspicion is that the robot is
hanging on to too many sockets, exceeding the file handle limit
on seasidehosting, leading to the freeze up. Anyway, I'm looking
for a solution too.

IIRC, there are some net uptime services which periodically
poll a URL to verify service - the kind that ISPs point to
to show that their servers are reliable. Something like this
could be a problem on a shared server like seasidehosting,
depending on how frequently the polling is done.