error "please insert disk" (windows vm)

Nicolai Hess-3-2

we have the following bug report
16928 "no disk in the drive" reply to World | Save As (and other places)

"On a clean Pharo4.0 #40618 image, on Windows 7
World Menu | Save As brings up a modal alert window, "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive <etc>"

On my system, it does this 4 times.

I'm assuming that each instance refers to one of the card-reader drives which are attached, but without a card inserted.

This is a pain to deal with every single time a File Browser or World | Save As dialog is opened.

Could the alerts either be
 - only raised when that specific drive is requested by a user action
or, less preferably
 - given by a non-modal window, and fading away after a period"

I was able to reproduce this error on squeaks and pharos window vm.
(insert a usb card reader, with card, wait some time , remove only the card,
every access on this drive, for example open a FileList and scroll to the drive letter).

The solution I found is to call SetErrorMode(SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS)

I would like to propose the following change to sqwin32directory.c
wrap the call to FindFirstFileW/FindNextFileW with

UINT prevMode = SetErrorMode(SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS);
call   FindFirstFileW/FindNextFileW
SetErrorMode(prevMode);

and call this functions in at least dir_lookup()
(the other file/directory methods are save).

Alternative solution, we could call the SetErrorMode function once at program start
but I don't know if there are other "useful" errors message that we don't want to disable.

I tested both solution, both seems to work fine.

What do you think?

Re: error "please insert disk" (windows vm)

Nicolai Hess-3-2

I opened another bug report at mantis - > http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7841

I can create a patch with the proposed solution.

[...]

I think this could be applied on pharo win32 source as well.
maybe with some small changes

[...]

Any chance to include this  ? Or is it already done, if so I can close the issue at pharo.fogbugz   and bugs.squeak.org

Re: [Pharo-dev] error "please insert disk" (windows vm)

EstebanLM

On 14 Jan 2017, at 14:44, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I think a regression occured in Pharo VM related to this, for example when I open the dialog

MorphicUIManager new fileSave: ''

In old win32 vm (Oct 12 2016) I am placed in the image directory and I see the whole hierarchy

<oldvm.png>

but with new VM (Jan 14 2017) I see just an empty tree with only hard drives available

<newvm.png>

My own FileDialog implementation doesn't suffer from this, so maybe the Morphic one is just accessing the data in a weird way?

Peter

I think is a regression in FilePlugin… no problem with morphic… but now I’m not sure anymore. You made me doubt :)

Esteban

ps: FilePlugin is having problems anyway… I was expecting to work on it next week.