etoys sound

Steve Horsfield
I'm running squeak etoys in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat and I have no sound output.

1. Is this the right forum for this enquiry?
2. Is their a fix for the problem?

Steve Horsfield

Re: etoys sound

Bert Freudenberg
On 07.10.2011, at 11:40, Steve Horsfield wrote:

> I'm running squeak etoys in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat and I have no sound output.
>
> 1. Is this the right forum for this enquiry?

Yes.

> 2. Is their a fix for the problem?

Probably. Does Etoys-To-Go work better?

- Bert -

Re: etoys sound

Steve Horsfield
Bert

start etoys.sh in the Etoys-To-Go 4.1.1.app directory is giving me the notoriously unhelpful Unknown job error.

Steve

On 7 October 2011 10:47, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07.10.2011, at 11:40, Steve Horsfield wrote:

> I'm running squeak etoys in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat and I have no sound output.
>
> 1. Is this the right forum for this enquiry?

Yes.

> 2. Is their a fix for the problem?

Probably. Does Etoys-To-Go work better?

- Bert -

Re: etoys sound

Bert Freudenberg
I just downloaded Ubuntu 10 LTS and Etoys-To-Go. Ran it in Virtual Box. Works just fine. Including sound.

Not sure what's different in your Ubuntu 10?

(I also tried installing etoys from Ubuntu Software Center but it can't resolve some dependency, and the error was unhelpful)

- Bert -

On 07.10.2011, at 14:22, Steve Horsfield wrote:

Bert

start etoys.sh in the Etoys-To-Go 4.1.1.app directory is giving me the notoriously unhelpful Unknown job error.

Steve

On 7 October 2011 10:47, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07.10.2011, at 11:40, Steve Horsfield wrote:

> I'm running squeak etoys in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat and I have no sound output.
>
> 1. Is this the right forum for this enquiry?

Yes.

> 2. Is their a fix for the problem?

Probably. Does Etoys-To-Go work better?

- Bert -

Re: etoys sound

Bert Freudenberg
Ah. Tried in Ubuntu 11. Had to install Squeak first from software centre, then it would let me install etoys. It's Etoys 4.0, nice (Ubuntu 10 LTS offered only Etoys 3, I think). Works, including sound. Etoys-To-Go works fine with sound, too.

Guess I need to download 10.10.

- Bert -

On 07.10.2011, at 16:12, Steve Horsfield wrote:

Thank.. The version from Ubuntu software centre was the one I was using, it appears to be ok apart from the soun.d

Steve

On 7 October 2011 14:47, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just downloaded Ubuntu 10 LTS and Etoys-To-Go. Ran it in Virtual Box. Works just fine. Including sound.

Not sure what's different in your Ubuntu 10?

(I also tried installing etoys from Ubuntu Software Center but it can't resolve some dependency, and the error was unhelpful)

- Bert -

On 07.10.2011, at 14:22, Steve Horsfield wrote:

Bert

start etoys.sh in the Etoys-To-Go 4.1.1.app directory is giving me the notoriously unhelpful Unknown job error.

Steve

On 7 October 2011 10:47, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07.10.2011, at 11:40, Steve Horsfield wrote:

> I'm running squeak etoys in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat and I have no sound output.
>
> 1. Is this the right forum for this enquiry?

Yes.

> 2. Is their a fix for the problem?

Probably. Does Etoys-To-Go work better?

- Bert -

Re: etoys sound

Bert Freudenberg
Sound works fine on the 10.10 I freshly downloaded. So I guess you have changed your system from the default configuration in a way that breaks the sound. No idea how to help with that.

- Bert -