evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

123

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
Thanks, Chris! I'll tuck this away until I get back to my presentation layer.

On 12/06/2015 02:03 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 5:15 AM, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just realized that the squeak version uses ReferenceStream while the Pharo version uses Fuel, so the binary serializations are different and they won't speak to each other. Any chance that Fuel is ported to Squeak?

Installer new merge: #fuel

Name change: Mushroom ( was Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto)

Robert Withers
I renamed the project to Mushroom and I also dumped the encoding work to
focus on shutdown, optimization and serialization. Here's the wiki:
https://github.com/SqueakCryptographySquad/Mushroom/wiki

thanks,Robert

On 12/06/2015 01:42 AM, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Robert Withers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 12/05/2015 09:24 PM, Ben Coman wrote:

>>> Great sounding name.  However some general advice for the community,
>>> since I see a lot of great sounding project names drowned out in the
>>> noise of our web-search-centric universe.  A litmus test for project
>>> naming is using google search to find which return low search results.
>>> Today, its more important to be unique than any other attribute of a
>>> name.  So in general, *dictionary* english words are not the best.
>>> One technique is to intentionally mispell the word you like.  Here are
>>> some comparative examples (note, the surrounding quotes are required
>>> to avoid google trying to be helpful and correct the spelling)...
>>>
>>> "maelstrom"    --> 7,480,000
>>> "maelstroom"  --> 6,200
>>> "maelstrum"    --> 2,280
>>> "maelstruum"  --> 7
>>>
>>> Lots of interesting other techniques can be found by searching on:
>>> techniques to generate brand names or domain names.
>>>
>>> cheers -ben
>>
>> I would be happy to change the names to something more unique, though it may
>> take a few. Are you suggesting "maelstruum"?
>>
>> cheers,
>> Robert
>>

> *Suggesting* yes, but the choice is yours ;)  You need to own it.
>
> I think maelstruum is certainly memorable with the double "u", but
> maybe jarring next the the "m".  I'm inclined to maelstroom, since I
> associate it with "zoom".  I wouldn't necessarily go for the absolute
> lowest results.  I have an entirely unsubstantiated belief that
> anything less than 10,000 gives a reasonable chance to compete once a
> user's browsing history is taken into account.  Finally you need to
> check existing results don't return something abhorrent (I didn't do
> this).
>
> I'd encourage to play around testing on google search.  Its quick and
> easy to generate and test alternatives. I've added a few more below.
> "maelstra" --> 3,560
> "maelstram" --> 504
> "maelstrim" --> 1200
> "maelstroon" --> 58
> "maelstroomi" --> 4
>
> btw, I wouldn't swap the order of the "ae" since that would be
> susceptible to real typing errors.
>
> cheers -ben

Re: Name change: Mushroom ( was Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto)

Ben Coman
I like it, but it seems you missed my point :)
mushroom --> 117,000,000 is two orders of magnitude more hidden.
Anyway, maybe I overplay its significance.
cheers -ben

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 11:11 PM, Robert Withers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I renamed the project to Mushroom and I also dumped the encoding work to
> focus on shutdown, optimization and serialization. Here's the wiki:
> https://github.com/SqueakCryptographySquad/Mushroom/wiki
>
> thanks,Robert
>

> On 12/06/2015 01:42 AM, Ben Coman wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Robert Withers
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I would be happy to change the names to something more unique, though it
>>> may
>>> take a few. Are you suggesting "maelstruum"?
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Robert
>>>

>> *Suggesting* yes, but the choice is yours ;)  You need to own it.
>>
>> I think maelstruum is certainly memorable with the double "u", but
>> maybe jarring next the the "m".  I'm inclined to maelstroom, since I
>> associate it with "zoom".  I wouldn't necessarily go for the absolute
>> lowest results.  I have an entirely unsubstantiated belief that
>> anything less than 10,000 gives a reasonable chance to compete once a
>> user's browsing history is taken into account.  Finally you need to
>> check existing results don't return something abhorrent (I didn't do
>> this).
>>
>> I'd encourage to play around testing on google search.  Its quick and
>> easy to generate and test alternatives. I've added a few more below.
>> "maelstra" --> 3,560
>> "maelstram" --> 504
>> "maelstrim" --> 1200
>> "maelstroon" --> 58
>> "maelstroomi" --> 4
>>
>> btw, I wouldn't swap the order of the "ae" since that would be
>> susceptible to real typing errors.
>>
>> cheers -ben

Re: Name change: Mushroom ( was Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto)

Huw Lloyd-2
It seemed to me that smalltalk has always had the opportunity to avoid the pitfalls of packaging that product-oriented projects are concerned with.  This seems tied up with the contradictory relation between the (democratically) relatedness of ideas and the (capitalist) constraints of money.

If you look at a page of text, there are no namespaces.  There are no use of words with arbitrarily assigned word-forms.  The spaces (relations) are between the words (and even between the letters).  The accessibility is largely subjective (knowing the meaning of a word), the accessibility is not a package.

It seems to me that the practice of giving a package a vivid or redolent name (which may have nothing to do with its etymology) is falling into the package mentality twice over -- not only is a package built, but it is then sold through the imitation of a viral meme.

So I would say that its "hidden" nature is of more magnitude than that.

But as Ben says.  Anyway, maybe I overplay its significance.

Best,
Huw

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I renamed the project to Mushroom and I also dumped the encoding work to
> focus on shutdown, optimization and serialization. Here's the wiki:
> https://github.com/SqueakCryptographySquad/Mushroom/wiki
>
> thanks,Robert
>

> On 12/06/2015 01:42 AM, Ben Coman wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Robert Withers
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I would be happy to change the names to something more unique, though it
>>> may
>>> take a few. Are you suggesting "maelstruum"?
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Robert
>>>

>> *Suggesting* yes, but the choice is yours ;)  You need to own it.
>>
>> I think maelstruum is certainly memorable with the double "u", but
>> maybe jarring next the the "m".  I'm inclined to maelstroom, since I
>> associate it with "zoom".  I wouldn't necessarily go for the absolute
>> lowest results.  I have an entirely unsubstantiated belief that
>> anything less than 10,000 gives a reasonable chance to compete once a
>> user's browsing history is taken into account.  Finally you need to
>> check existing results don't return something abhorrent (I didn't do
>> this).
>>
>> I'd encourage to play around testing on google search.  Its quick and
>> easy to generate and test alternatives. I've added a few more below.
>> "maelstra" --> 3,560
>> "maelstram" --> 504
>> "maelstrim" --> 1200
>> "maelstroon" --> 58
>> "maelstroomi" --> 4
>>
>> btw, I wouldn't swap the order of the "ae" since that would be
>> susceptible to real typing errors.
>>
>> cheers -ben

Re: Name change: Mushroom ( was Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto)

Robert Withers
Ben, Huw, Todd and Sven, thank you all for your feedback!  I suppose I
could call the project "CryptOCaps" but for some reason I glommed onto
mushroom as the name. Not grandiose and it is somewhat descriptive...a
network of secure sessions, each one a mushroom. Ceps are highly valued.
We can tag it for the catalog.

For sure, we have Seaside, Morphic, Nebraska, Fuel, Alien, Cog,
Monticello and that's just the squeak side of unusual naming of
projects. I hope that "mushroom" gains a wide reputation as a solid,
reliable, secure and performant session layer under the CryptOCaps
presentation...I am thinking of splitting the secure session layer from
the ocaps presentation layer, but this would require another name
choice, so I hesitate...perhaps "Risotto"? What are your thoughts?

Best,
Robert

On 12/07/2015 10:38 AM, Ben Coman wrote:

> I like it, but it seems you missed my point :)
> mushroom --> 117,000,000 is two orders of magnitude more hidden.
> Anyway, maybe I overplay its significance.
> cheers -ben
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 11:11 PM, Robert Withers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I renamed the project to Mushroom and I also dumped the encoding work to
>> focus on shutdown, optimization and serialization. Here's the wiki:
>> https://github.com/SqueakCryptographySquad/Mushroom/wiki
>>
>> thanks,Robert
>>

>> On 12/06/2015 01:42 AM, Ben Coman wrote:

>>> *Suggesting* yes, but the choice is yours ;)  You need to own it.
>>>
>>> I think maelstruum is certainly memorable with the double "u", but
>>> maybe jarring next the the "m".  I'm inclined to maelstroom, since I
>>> associate it with "zoom".  I wouldn't necessarily go for the absolute
>>> lowest results.  I have an entirely unsubstantiated belief that
>>> anything less than 10,000 gives a reasonable chance to compete once a
>>> user's browsing history is taken into account.  Finally you need to
>>> check existing results don't return something abhorrent (I didn't do
>>> this).
>>>
>>> I'd encourage to play around testing on google search.  Its quick and
>>> easy to generate and test alternatives. I've added a few more below.
>>> "maelstra" --> 3,560
>>> "maelstram" --> 504
>>> "maelstrim" --> 1200
>>> "maelstroon" --> 58
>>> "maelstroomi" --> 4
>>>
>>> btw, I wouldn't swap the order of the "ae" since that would be
>>> susceptible to real typing errors.
>>>
>>> cheers -ben

Re: Name change: Mushroom ( was Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Robert Withers wrote:
> Ben, Huw, Todd and Sven, thank you all for your feedback!  I suppose I
> could call the project "CryptOCaps" but for some reason I glommed onto
> mushroom as the name. Not grandiose and it is somewhat descriptive...a
> network of secure sessions, each one a mushroom. Ceps are highly valued.
> We can tag it for the catalog.

Though pretty old, the Mushroom Smalltalk computer was very well known
at one time:

http://www.wolczko.com/mushroom/

Though one is a hardware project and yours is software, there is still
the potential for some confusion.

-- Jecel

On 12/07/2015 07:26 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:

> Robert Withers wrote:
>> Ben, Huw, Todd and Sven, thank you all for your feedback!  I suppose I
>> could call the project "CryptOCaps" but for some reason I glommed onto
>> mushroom as the name. Not grandiose and it is somewhat descriptive...a
>> network of secure sessions, each one a mushroom. Ceps are highly valued.
>> We can tag it for the catalog.
> Though pretty old, the Mushroom Smalltalk computer was very well known
> at one time:
>
> http://www.wolczko.com/mushroom/
>
> Though one is a hardware project and yours is software, there is still
> the potential for some confusion.
>
> -- Jecel

Oh dear, that's a potential naming conflict. Perhaps this is where the
idea came from, as I have read about this Mushroom Project long ago. As
this hardware project is not longer active, repurposing the name may be
reasonable but I cannot say wityhout that authority. There are 2 layers,
session & presentation, so perhaps 2 names are needed and the one
project needs splitting. And there is the consensus issue. Perhaps I
should use technical names and be done with it: SecureSession &
CryptOCaps. Well, I will leave off changing again until agreed to names
are established, as I don't know what to do about it, but I welcome
suggestions...

Maelstrom, Mushroom, Crystalline & Phosphor, SecureSession & CryptOCaps,
pther suggestions?

Robert

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
Hey Chris,

I just tried this in my squeak image and it complains about not finding 'ConfigurationOfFuel' in a Monticello repository. Are there other pre-steps I need to take?

Robert

On 12/06/2015 02:03 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 5:15 AM, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just realized that the squeak version uses ReferenceStream while the Pharo version uses Fuel, so the binary serializations are different and they won't speak to each other. Any chance that Fuel is ported to Squeak?

Installer new merge: #fuel

Re: Name change: Mushroom ( was Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto)

Ben Coman
On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Robert Withers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/07/2015 07:26 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:
>>
>> Robert Withers wrote:
>>>
>>> Ben, Huw, Todd and Sven, thank you all for your feedback!  I suppose I
>>> could call the project "CryptOCaps" but for some reason I glommed onto
>>> mushroom as the name. Not grandiose and it is somewhat descriptive...a
>>> network of secure sessions, each one a mushroom. Ceps are highly valued.
>>> We can tag it for the catalog.
>>
>> Though pretty old, the Mushroom Smalltalk computer was very well known
>> at one time:
>>
>> http://www.wolczko.com/mushroom/
>>
>> Though one is a hardware project and yours is software, there is still
>> the potential for some confusion.
>>
>> -- Jecel
>

> Oh dear, that's a potential naming conflict. Perhaps this is where the idea
> came from, as I have read about this Mushroom Project long ago. As this
> hardware project is not longer active, repurposing the name may be
> reasonable but I cannot say wityhout that authority. There are 2 layers,
> session & presentation, so perhaps 2 names are needed and the one project
> needs splitting. And there is the consensus issue. Perhaps I should use
> technical names and be done with it: SecureSession & CryptOCaps. Well, I
> will leave off changing again until agreed to names are established, as I
> don't know what to do about it, but I welcome suggestions...
>
> Maelstrom, Mushroom, Crystalline & Phosphor, SecureSession & CryptOCaps,
> pther suggestions?

Grinding over your previous descriptions...

>> binary serialization to communicate over the wire

securewire --> 1900

secuawire --> 0

immunewire --> 2

wirymune --> 1  My overall favourite, if a little oblique ("wire immune").

tightwire --> 91200

>> substrate for distributed secure objects

obtransecua --> 0

obtransec --> 0 Equal favourite descriptive ("object transfer secure")

secuaobj --> 0

secushare --> 5880

kryptobj --> 4

kryptomesh --> 0  Equal favourite descriptive ("cryptographic mesh" of objects)

meshobsec --> 0

kryptnet --> 1220

cheers -ben

Re: Name change: Mushroom ( was Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto)

Robert Withers
Thanks for doing this research, Ben. I checked 'kryptocap' with 363
results. If not Mushroom, I kinda like this one since it is an OCap system..

Cheers,
Robert

On 12/08/2015 09:00 AM, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Robert Withers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Though pretty old, the Mushroom Smalltalk computer was very well known
>>> at one time:
>>>
>>> http://www.wolczko.com/mushroom/
>>>
>>> Though one is a hardware project and yours is software, there is still
>>> the potential for some confusion.
>>>
>>> -- Jecel
>>
>> Oh dear, that's a potential naming conflict. Perhaps this is where the idea
>> came from, as I have read about this Mushroom Project long ago. As this
>> hardware project is not longer active, repurposing the name may be
>> reasonable but I cannot say wityhout that authority. There are 2 layers,
>> session & presentation, so perhaps 2 names are needed and the one project
>> needs splitting. And there is the consensus issue. Perhaps I should use
>> technical names and be done with it: SecureSession & CryptOCaps. Well, I
>> will leave off changing again until agreed to names are established, as I
>> don't know what to do about it, but I welcome suggestions...
>>
>> Maelstrom, Mushroom, Crystalline & Phosphor, SecureSession & CryptOCaps,
>> pther suggestions?
>
> Grinding over your previous descriptions...
>
>>> binary serialization to communicate over the wire
> securewire --> 1900
>
> secuawire --> 0
>
> immunewire --> 2
>
> wirymune --> 1  My overall favourite, if a little oblique ("wire immune").
>
> tightwire --> 91200
>

>>> substrate for distributed secure objects
> obtransecua --> 0
>
> obtransec --> 0 Equal favourite descriptive ("object transfer secure")
>
> secuaobj --> 0
>
> secushare --> 5880
>
> kryptobj --> 4
>
> kryptomesh --> 0  Equal favourite descriptive ("cryptographic mesh" of objects)
>
> meshobsec --> 0
>
> kryptnet --> 1220
>

> cheers -ben

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Chris Muller-4
Ask Mariano.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 2:37 AM, Robert Withers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Chris,
>
> I just tried this in my squeak image and it complains about not finding
> 'ConfigurationOfFuel' in a Monticello repository. Are there other pre-steps
> I need to take?
>
> Robert
>
> On 12/06/2015 02:03 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 5:15 AM, Robert Withers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I just realized that the squeak version uses ReferenceStream while the
>> Pharo version uses Fuel, so the binary serializations are different and they
>> won't speak to each other. Any chance that Fuel is ported to Squeak?
>>

> Installer new merge: #fuel

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Tobias Pape
Hi,

On 08.12.2015, at 21:03, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ask Mariano.

That's uncommonly curtly…

Max Leske actually makes a huge effort that Fuel always runs in Squeak[1].
I want to thank him for that here.

So.
Robert, you should do:

(Installer monticello http: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/Fuel/')
        project: 'main';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfFuel';
        install.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) project version: #stable) load.

Fuel is loaded then. There are some development leftovers but they shouldn't affect
normal operation. If you find issues, please report them here and to Max (CC).

Best regards
        -Tobias

[1]: https://github.com/theseion/Fuel/blob/master/scripts/jenkins.sh#L43

I think he is German so I get it. :)

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
I threw that comment out there, but realized I forgot to thank you for
this great info. Thank you, Tobias. I am right there ready to dive in,
but will take a break. Bleiben moeglich, bitte...

On 12/08/2015 03:39 PM, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 08.12.2015, at 21:03, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ask Mariano.
> That's uncommonly curtly…
>
> Max Leske actually makes a huge effort that Fuel always runs in Squeak[1].
> I want to thank him for that here.
>
> So.
> Robert, you should do:
>
> (Installer monticello http: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/Fuel/')
> project: 'main';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfFuel';
> install.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) project version: #stable) load.
>
> Fuel is loaded then. There are some development leftovers but they shouldn't affect
> normal operation. If you find issues, please report them here and to Max (CC).
>
> Best regards
> -Tobias
>

> [1]: https://github.com/theseion/Fuel/blob/master/scripts/jenkins.sh#L43
>
>> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 2:37 AM, Robert Withers
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hey Chris,
>>>
>>> I just tried this in my squeak image and it complains about not finding
>>> 'ConfigurationOfFuel' in a Monticello repository. Are there other pre-steps
>>> I need to take?
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>
>>> On 12/06/2015 02:03 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

>>> Installer new merge: #fuel

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Max Leske

On 04 Dec 2015, at 17:41, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think that either Max or Martin did the Spur needed changes for Fuel.

Yes, Martin made those.

So likely it should be easy to make it work in latest Squeak.

I agree. The changes for Spur were minimal. I simply haven’t had time yet for Squeak 5.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Now I think you are right on with your observation. Additionally, the number of dialects could increase further with Fuel serialization, just port SecureSession and bits.

Alright, I came up with a name and it may border on the egregious ... presenting ...

"Maelstrom"

A new distributed metric will be established in Maelstrom to measure intra- & inter-vat activity: "Sanguinity".

Robert

PS. thanks for pointing out Fuel support for older squeaks.

Well, we support 4.6, which was released at the same time as 5. So we’re nearly up to speed ;)

Cheers,
Max

On 12/04/2015 10:25 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
Another suggestion: if you intend to make something cross dialect and hope to get traction, I would not use a project name which contains one dialect, but something more general like Cryptography, or some cool project name, like Seaside, Fuel, ...

On 04 Dec 2015, at 15:43, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:

I use squeak 5.0 and would want the Fuel support to customize for wire serializations and substitutions, such that Squeak and Pharo could talk to each other, and all other Fuel environments. The Fuel changes I made are in the Pharo port of SqueakElib in the SqueakElib-CapTP-Serialization category and consist of a Decoder, Materializer and a Materialization.

Robert

On 12/04/2015 09:35 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
which squeak version?
of what?

On 04 Dec 2015, at 12:15, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just realized that the squeak version uses ReferenceStream while the Pharo version uses Fuel, so the binary serializations are different and they won't speak to each other. Any chance that Fuel is ported to Squeak?

Regards,
Robert

On 12/04/2015 06:11 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
I am unable to import these files into SqueakSource, so it may be best done from inside Pharo with Monticello. Here are working Crypto and SqueakElib in Pharo, prior to SecureSession refactoring and Reed Solomon. I include the correct version of LayeredProtocol.

Regards,
Robert

On 12/04/2015 05:47 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
Best Regards

http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography.html
http://www.squeaksource.com/squeakelib.html

On 12/04/2015 05:44 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
After my password reset on squeaksource, I committed to both Cryptography and SqueakElib, project links below.

In the case of Cryptography, I had a version ported to Pharo ... I will organize Pharo ports of both after Reed Solomon is stable, and announce them to the Pharo list. This way both environments can be supported through this one repository.

Robert

On 12/04/2015 04:35 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:
On 03-12-15 23:06, Robert Withers wrote:
Are any of these used by both squeak and Pharo? That would be the right
move I think. I will ask about getting my password reset for
squeaksource, since that is where the old code resides.
All of them. Mostly timing of project start/high activity and who are
maintaining it decided on platforms. There was a time when squeaksource was not so stable and then many projects migrated, and I currently hear least about stability issues from ss3, but the load on smalltalkhub is much higher, I assume, as that is used for the pharo ci.

In the not so far future Pharo is likely to move to a git based infrastructure, using libgit2. Early adopters are already using it.
I haven't heard the squeak ideas about that.

Stephan

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Max Leske

> On 08 Dec 2015, at 21:39, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 08.12.2015, at 21:03, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ask Mariano.
>
> That's uncommonly curtly…
>
> Max Leske actually makes a huge effort that Fuel always runs in Squeak[1].
> I want to thank him for that here.

Thanks Tobias! It’s good to know that Fuel is appreciated in the Squeak community. I’ll try to get support for Squeak 5 out soon.

Cheers,
Max

> So.
> Robert, you should do:
>
> (Installer monticello http: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/Fuel/')
> project: 'main';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfFuel';
> install.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) project version: #stable) load.
>
> Fuel is loaded then. There are some development leftovers but they shouldn't affect
> normal operation. If you find issues, please report them here and to Max (CC).
>
> Best regards
> -Tobias
>

> [1]: https://github.com/theseion/Fuel/blob/master/scripts/jenkins.sh#L43
>

>> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 2:37 AM, Robert Withers
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hey Chris,
>>>
>>> I just tried this in my squeak image and it complains about not finding
>>> 'ConfigurationOfFuel' in a Monticello repository. Are there other pre-steps
>>> I need to take?
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>
>>> On 12/06/2015 02:03 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

>>> Installer new merge: #fuel

Re: [Pharo-users] evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 08:50:54AM +0100, Max Leske wrote:

> > On 08 Dec 2015, at 21:39, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 08.12.2015, at 21:03, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Ask Mariano.
> >
> > That's uncommonly curtly?
> >
> > Max Leske actually makes a huge effort that Fuel always runs in Squeak[1].
> > I want to thank him for that here.
>
> Thanks Tobias! It?s good to know that Fuel is appreciated in the Squeak community. I?ll try to get support for Squeak 5 out soon.
>
> Cheers,
> Max

It is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Dave

Re: Name change: Mushroom ( was Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Robert Withers wrote
Perhaps I should use technical names and be done with it
Yes, please! I have used Squeak and Pharo almost every day for 6 years, closely following the mailing lists, and still find the buffet of clever project names baffling. Unless we're not trying to take over the world with a particular project (like maybe Seaside, which could've blown Rails out of the water given a little luck), I don't see what we gain in trade giving up clarity.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Name change: Mushroom ( was Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto)

Robert Withers
Branding and marketing connected to mythology, perhaps. I really don't
know. There is something of value in a well-known name that brings
inspiration; this is typically false inspiration, though, so I do see
your point.

robert

. .. .. ^,^ robert

Re: Name change: Mushroom ( was Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto)

Robert Withers

On 12/18/2015 05:26 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> Robert Withers wrote
>> Perhaps I should use technical names and be done with it
> Yes, please! I have used Squeak and Pharo almost every day for 6 years,
> closely following the mailing lists, and still find the buffet of clever
> project names baffling. Unless we're not trying to take over the world with
> a particular project (like maybe Seaside, which could've blown Rails out of
> the water given a little luck), I don't see what we gain in trade giving up
> clarity.
What do you think would make a good name for what I am calling Mushroom,
which was SqueakElib, but is really the 6th presentation layer above
what are now SecureSession? It establishes a modified CapTP protocol (no
searchpath & not all working). It is the presentation layer for
distributed objects with promise pipelining : messages are sent to
future results, and distributed result continuations. It's pretty
neat.   5,   2.  I am not sure what name accurately names this, what it
does, where it is.

distributed object computer?

> -----
> Cheers,