filtered menu in 3.11

Chris Muller-3
I've quickly noticed, getting around the menus in 3.11 isn't as quick
and easy as I had become used to in prior versions.

The last line of MenuMorph>>#displayFiltered: was commented out.

Wow, I'm the one who actually lobbied for this change back in 2003!

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-March/055659.html

and had been accepted since then all the way to 3.10.

I appreciate that, having been commented out instead of deleted, that
the issue is still open for discussion, great!  :)  So is there good
reason for not highlighting the first-matching item as the menu is
filtered?  Is it reasonable to make it into a Preference?

 - Chris

Re: filtered menu in 3.11

Igor Stasenko
On 3 February 2010 22:07, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've quickly noticed, getting around the menus in 3.11 isn't as quick
> and easy as I had become used to in prior versions.
>
> The last line of MenuMorph>>#displayFiltered: was commented out.
>
> Wow, I'm the one who actually lobbied for this change back in 2003!
>
>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-March/055659.html
>
> and had been accepted since then all the way to 3.10.
>
> I appreciate that, having been commented out instead of deleted, that
> the issue is still open for discussion, great!  :)  So is there good
> reason for not highlighting the first-matching item as the menu is
> filtered?  Is it reasonable to make it into a Preference?

In method history i see it was changed by kb (Ken Brown i guess?) 11/20/2009.
But have no idea why.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: filtered menu in 3.11

Ken G. Brown
No, I am not the owner of initials kb, I use kgb.

Ken G. Brown
from my iPhone

On 2010-02-03, at 1:14 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3 February 2010 22:07, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've quickly noticed, getting around the menus in 3.11 isn't as quick
>> and easy as I had become used to in prior versions.
>>
>> The last line of MenuMorph>>#displayFiltered: was commented out.
>>
>> Wow, I'm the one who actually lobbied for this change back in 2003!
>>
>>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-March/055659.html
>>
>> and had been accepted since then all the way to 3.10.
>>
>> I appreciate that, having been commented out instead of deleted, that
>> the issue is still open for discussion, great!  :)  So is there good
>> reason for not highlighting the first-matching item as the menu is
>> filtered?  Is it reasonable to make it into a Preference?
>>

> In method history i see it was changed by kb (Ken Brown i guess?)
> 11/20/2009.
> But have no idea why.
>
>>  - Chris
>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: filtered menu in 3.11

Ken Causey-3
It's Balázs Kósi <[hidden email]>

based on info at

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7411

actual package version is Morphic-kb.241

Ken

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 13:29 -0700, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> No, I am not the owner of initials kb, I use kgb.
>
> Ken G. Brown
> from my iPhone
>
> On 2010-02-03, at 1:14 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 3 February 2010 22:07, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I've quickly noticed, getting around the menus in 3.11 isn't as quick
> >> and easy as I had become used to in prior versions.
> >>
> >> The last line of MenuMorph>>#displayFiltered: was commented out.
> >>
> >> Wow, I'm the one who actually lobbied for this change back in 2003!
> >>
> >>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-March/055659.html
> >>
> >> and had been accepted since then all the way to 3.10.
> >>
> >> I appreciate that, having been commented out instead of deleted, that
> >> the issue is still open for discussion, great!  :)  So is there good
> >> reason for not highlighting the first-matching item as the menu is
> >> filtered?  Is it reasonable to make it into a Preference?
> >>

> > In method history i see it was changed by kb (Ken Brown i guess?)
> > 11/20/2009.
> > But have no idea why.
> >
> >>  - Chris
> >>

> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: filtered menu in 3.11

Andreas.Raab
Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 3 February 2010 22:07, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've quickly noticed, getting around the menus in 3.11 isn't as quick
>> and easy as I had become used to in prior versions.
>>
>> The last line of MenuMorph>>#displayFiltered: was commented out.
>>
>> Wow, I'm the one who actually lobbied for this change back in 2003!
>>
>>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-March/055659.html
>>
>> and had been accepted since then all the way to 3.10.
>>
>> I appreciate that, having been commented out instead of deleted, that
>> the issue is still open for discussion, great!  :)  So is there good
>> reason for not highlighting the first-matching item as the menu is
>> filtered?  Is it reasonable to make it into a Preference?
>>

> In method history i see it was changed by kb (Ken Brown i guess?) 11/20/2009.
> But have no idea why.

The initials kb should be Balázs Kósi and the work was done in the
context of various menu changes/improvements (see Morphic-kb.228 through
Morphic-kb.244).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: filtered menu in 3.11

Balázs Kósi

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've quickly noticed, getting around the menus in 3.11 isn't as quick
> and easy as I had become used to in prior versions.
Should not happen! I uploaded a quick fix for the issue to the inbox:
Morphic-kb.317

Thanks, Balázs

ps:
> The last line of MenuMorph>>#displayFiltered: was commented out.
> I appreciate that, having been commented out instead of deleted, that
> the issue is still open for discussion, great!  :)  So is there good
> reason for not highlighting the first-matching item as the menu is
> filtered?
The quite lame reason for commenting those lines out was to prevent
the - that time - seemingly random image lockups. Now I identified the problem:
sending MenuMorph >> selectItem: item event: evt with evt being nil
causes an infinite debugger popping loop with my new implementation.