font dependent error message? More than 256 literals referenced.

font dependent error message? More than 256 literals referenced.

Squeak - Dev mailing list
Hi Folks
"More than 256 literals referenced.
You must split or otherwise simplify this method.
The 257th literal is: 13055 ->"x
Its funny, in one image, I have the method and all works fine.

I spun up another image for Fonts work, installed the unifont and tried to us monticello to load the package and I get that message.

The only difference I see is the installed/selected fonts.

Is this assumption of mine true?

Re: font dependent error message? More than 256 literals referenced.

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 02:37:20PM -0500, gettimothy via Squeak-dev wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
> "More than 256 literals referenced.
>
> You must split or otherwise simplify this method.
>
> The 257th literal is: 13055 ->"x
>

> Its funny, in one image, I have the method and all works fine.
>

> I spun up another image for Fonts work, installed the unifont and tried to us monticello to load the package and I get that message.
>

> The only difference I see is the installed/selected fonts.
>

> Is this assumption of mine true?

Try evaluating "CompiledCode useSista: true" in the image that is
giving you problems. Afterwards your method will compile without error.

The error that you are seeing is the result of a limitation of the
traditional bytecode set used in Squeak. Eliot et al have provided
the new Sista bytecode set that has a number of advantages, including
this one. Squeak trunk has been using the Sista bytecode set for quite
a while, but due to some glitches in the trunk update stream there
are probably a few images (maybe including yours) that accidentally
are using the other bytecode set.

I think this will take care of your problem, but note that if you
are writing something that needs to run on older images, you may
want to reorganize your method so that it does not hit the old
limit for literals.

Dave