fyi: CroquetCollaborative hacked

Howard Stearns
For what it's worth:

Someone broke into the Croquet Collaborative box and created a user
(f00bar) for running ircd (Internet Relay Chat).

I'm not aware of any consequences for folks connected to
www.croquetcollaborative.org or xrfb.croquetcollaborative.org, but
what do I know?

I've seen Croquet be intermittently unresponsive for no apparent
reason, and I suspect it might have been due to either this or to
attempts at entry such as the one that led to this. For example,
either IRC or hammering on a port to break in could have used up all
the available bandwidth.

-H

Re: fyi: CroquetCollaborative hacked

David P. Reed
What OS and patch level was it running?  I am genuinely concerned to
know how this might have happened.

Howard Stearns wrote:

> For what it's worth:
>
> Someone broke into the Croquet Collaborative box and created a user
> (f00bar) for running ircd (Internet Relay Chat).
>
> I'm not aware of any consequences for folks connected to
> www.croquetcollaborative.org or xrfb.croquetcollaborative.org, but
> what do I know?
>
> I've seen Croquet be intermittently unresponsive for no apparent
> reason, and I suspect it might have been due to either this or to
> attempts at entry such as the one that led to this. For example,
> either IRC or hammering on a port to break in could have used up all
> the available bandwidth.
>
> -H

Re: fyi: CroquetCollaborative hacked

Howard Stearns
At the time, uname -a produced:
   FreeBSD www.croquetcollaborative.org 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-
RELEASE #0: Sun May  7 04:42:56 UTC 2006

Call me naive.

I've since run freebsd-update and portsnap. Now uname produces:
    FreeBSD www.croquetcollaborative.org 6.1-SECURITY FreeBSD 6.1-
SECURITY #0: Wed Feb 14 15:48:51 UTC 2007

As a precaution, I'm also now logging connections to the Croquet
dispatcher, even (or especially) if they don't result in a Croquet
session. (#futureAcceptConnectionFrom:)

On Mar 10, 2007, at 5:08 PM, David P. Reed wrote:

> What OS and patch level was it running?  I am genuinely concerned
> to know how this might have happened.
>
> Howard Stearns wrote:
>> For what it's worth:
>>
>> Someone broke into the Croquet Collaborative box and created a
>> user (f00bar) for running ircd (Internet Relay Chat).
>>
>> I'm not aware of any consequences for folks connected to
>> www.croquetcollaborative.org or xrfb.croquetcollaborative.org, but
>> what do I know?
>>
>> I've seen Croquet be intermittently unresponsive for no apparent
>> reason, and I suspect it might have been due to either this or to
>> attempts at entry such as the one that led to this. For example,
>> either IRC or hammering on a port to break in could have used up
>> all the available bandwidth.
>>
>> -H

Re: fyi: CroquetCollaborative hacked

David P. Reed
Any relation to this: http://lwn.net/Articles/225947/  ?   I know
OpenBSD is different from FreeBSD, but...

Howard Stearns wrote:

> At the time, uname -a produced:
>   FreeBSD www.croquetcollaborative.org 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE
> #0: Sun May  7 04:42:56 UTC 2006
>
> Call me naive.
>
> I've since run freebsd-update and portsnap. Now uname produces:
>    FreeBSD www.croquetcollaborative.org 6.1-SECURITY FreeBSD
> 6.1-SECURITY #0: Wed Feb 14 15:48:51 UTC 2007
>
> As a precaution, I'm also now logging connections to the Croquet
> dispatcher, even (or especially) if they don't result in a Croquet
> session. (#futureAcceptConnectionFrom:)
>
> On Mar 10, 2007, at 5:08 PM, David P. Reed wrote:
>
>> What OS and patch level was it running?  I am genuinely concerned to
>> know how this might have happened.
>>
>> Howard Stearns wrote:
>>> For what it's worth:
>>>
>>> Someone broke into the Croquet Collaborative box and created a user
>>> (f00bar) for running ircd (Internet Relay Chat).
>>>
>>> I'm not aware of any consequences for folks connected to
>>> www.croquetcollaborative.org or xrfb.croquetcollaborative.org, but
>>> what do I know?
>>>
>>> I've seen Croquet be intermittently unresponsive for no apparent
>>> reason, and I suspect it might have been due to either this or to
>>> attempts at entry such as the one that led to this. For example,
>>> either IRC or hammering on a port to break in could have used up all
>>> the available bandwidth.
>>>
>>> -H

Re: fyi: CroquetCollaborative hacked

Howard Stearns
I don't think so. "[I]n order to exploit a vulnerable system an attacker needs
to be able to inject fragmented IPv6 packets on the target system's local
network. This requires direct physical/logical access to the target's local
network." Also, it looks like that vulnerability is a little older than my
initial installation.

By the way, I want to be clear that this box is running a lot of stuff besides
Croquet: apache/php/mySql/wordpress, vnc, ssh, sftp, etc. I don't feel there is
any reason to think the penetration had anything to do with Croquet itself. But
I think it's fair to share experiences as-is and timely-like with folks who may
be using that box via Croquet or xrfb.

Since updating the OS kernel and applications as described, I haven't seen any
further entry. And through my monitoring of dispatcher connections, I have seen
only one connection that failed to result in a Croquet session. (I have router
auto-create turned off, so the dispatcher correctly signaled an error that it
could not create a router for the requested island id. The dispatcher then
correctly terminated the connection. The "attacker" then gave up. This one
failed Croquet connection may well have been a Croquet user doing a perfectly
reasonable experiment.)  However, I continue to see examples of odd IP addresses
banging away (unsuccessfully) on non-Croquet ports. (mail, vnc, ssh, ...)

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison