getting an image file to work

John Guenther

I have a squeak VM that apparently works. When I click on squeak.exe it opens a window with all kinds of windows with titles like welcome to squeak 4.3, future directions, etc.

I also have an image file called mediatools-v6.image.

I thought that I just had to drag and drop this image file to the squeak.exe file and it would open and run the mediatools program, however when I do this I get the same window with all the other windows mentioned above inside it and I get an error message saying there is no content to install. In this dialog box there are lots of other commands (at least that’s what they look like). I guess a sort of log of what squeak was doing.

Can anyone help me out? I’m totally new to squeak. I was just trying to use the mediatools thing that was mentioned in a book.

Thanks in advance

John

Re: getting an image file to work

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 07:57:03AM -0400, John Guenther wrote:

> I have a squeak VM that apparently works. When I click on squeak.exe it
> opens a window with all kinds of windows with titles like welcome to squeak
> 4.3, future directions, etc.
>
> I also have an image file called mediatools-v6.image.
>
> I thought that I just had to drag and drop this image file to the squeak.exe
> file and it would open and run the mediatools program, however when I do
> this I get the same window with all the other windows mentioned above inside
> it and I get an error message saying there is no content to install. In this
> dialog box there are lots of other commands (at least that's what they look
> like). I guess a sort of log of what squeak was doing.
>
> Can anyone help me out? I'm totally new to squeak. I was just trying to use
> the mediatools thing that was mentioned in a book.

Hi John,

I was not familiar with mediatools, but I think it must be this:

  http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/mediaComp-teach/45

I tried downloading that image, and it does work for me (on Linux in my
case, but that should not matter).

>From your description, I think there must be something about the way you
are passing the image to your squeak.exe program that is causing it to
run your first Squeak image (the one with all the windows and tiles), and
then pass the second image (mediatools-v6.image) to it as if it were a
script file. I'm not sure why this is happening in your case, but maybe
someone using Windows can explain better.

In general though, if you start up the Squeak executable (squeak.exe) on
a command line with two parameters, the first parameter will be treated
as the image file to start, and the second will be treated as a script
file to be processed by the image. So if you think about running it
from a command line (rather than drag and drop), it is possible that
you are doing something like this:

  C> squeak.exe squeak.image mediatools-v6.image

When what you intended to do was this:

  C> squeak.exe meadiatools-v6.image

Sorry I can't say what is actually going wrong in your case, but maybe
this will point you in the right direction.

Dave

Re: getting an image file to work

Hans-Martin Mosner
Am 01.09.2012 13:57, schrieb John Guenther:

> I thought that I just had to drag and drop this image file to the squeak.exe
> file and it would open and run the mediatools program, however when I do
> this I get the same window with all the other windows mentioned above inside
> it and I get an error message saying there is no content to install. In this
> dialog box there are lots of other commands (at least that's what they look
> like). I guess a sort of log of what squeak was doing.

Dragging onto the exe file should generally work. However, it might be possible that when you already have a squeak
image running, a new image that you drag onto it is somehow interpreted as a dropped file that should be interpreted by
the currently running image. That would explain the behavior you describe.
So to be safe, quit whatever Squeak image you have running before you drag the image on top of the exe.
In addition, you might want to add a file type association so that .image file are opened by the Squeak executable. Then
you can just double-click images, which is in general much more comfortable.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

cbc

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 4:57 AM, John Guenther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought that I just had to drag and drop this image file to the squeak.exe
> file and it would open and run the mediatools program, however when I do
> this I get the same window with all the other windows mentioned above inside
> it and I get an error message saying there is no content to install. In this
> dialog box there are lots of other commands (at least that’s what they look
> like). I guess a sort of log of what squeak was doing.
>

> Can anyone help me out? I’m totally new to squeak. I was just trying to use
> the mediatools thing that was mentioned in a book.

If you could check in the folder where the .exe is, there should be a
file names Croquet.ini or Squeak.ini (similar to the .exe file name).
Open that file up with a text editor, and look for a line like:
ImageFile=AnotherImage.image
If that line is in the .ini file, the the VM will only open that image
(no matter what other file you drop on it, or how  you start that vm).
 If you want to just be able to drop an image on the executable, then
make sure this line isn't in the .ini file (it is not required).

-Chris