getting the avatars (*.obj and *.bvh)

Bugzilla from m.krueger@digidrops.de
Hello list,

i am interested if the obj-bvh import like it show in videos tutorials
still work in the actual distribution. I tried it with poser 6  and
Poser 7 on a Linux-machine via wine. The after importing I got a really
empty avatar. So I tried it several time but without success.

greeting from berlin,

m.

Re: getting the avatars (*.obj and *.bvh)

Paul Sheldon-2

Mathias Krüger wrote:
Hello list,

i am interested if the obj-bvh import like it show in videos tutorials
still work in the actual distribution.
These sorts of files were presented as an "Easter gift" in post with contacts that you might directly contact :
http://www.nabble.com/an-early-surprise-from-the-Easter-bunny-tf3534132.html
In particular, Liz Wendland, University of Minnesota, posted most recently with e mail address :
Liz Wendland [hidden email]

Somehow, at the time I looked at them, long ago, the videos scared me off. I had to build a slower confidence with Americo's step by step course. I just didn't choose to do that path and want to see where the path I am on leads. She might answer whether the current image of croquet could use the Spanish language teaching avatars.
 I tried it with poser 6  and
Poser 7
So, I infer that Poser exports obj and bvh files. I started researching to check this hypothesis and came up with what a bvh is :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounding_volume_hierarchies
a daunting amount of information which I scanned.

I had some familiarity with scene graphs, I believe, in maya. I couldn't imagine such mathematical complexity would be used by an artist, but I had been constantly surprised since in the profound mathematics involved in a text "Interactive Computer Graphics" and the beginning of above reference says the idea is general (not something "owned" by poser corporation). This makes me wonder whether this is known by blender.

Yes!
cf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biovision_Hierarchy

This brings me to the post to the developer list of Americo :
http://www.nabble.com/BCG-again--tf1530690.html#a4158370
which mentions utility for Linus and export from blender "stuff"

What I am wondering is how is bvh associated with blender, eg. can I open such a file with blender?
I have myself, on a mac, exported into croquet from a *.blender file. Liz Wendland is probably much more clear on this stuff,
but may be very very busy, since it is her work, not her play, as this is mine.

So, I hammer away with my big hammer :
google BCG bvh croquet
and took the first hit to dig deeper in Wisconsin list with their own search field on BCG bvh :

articles long ago, (2005-12-20), by the fellow who posted the Easter avatars evidenced he has a lot of savvy you might ask, but no explicit mention of BCG making
a *.bvh an *.ASE file.
https://lists.wisc.edu/read/messages?id=563184#563184

I tried opening a *.bvh file in blender illustrating that I didn't know what wikipedia reference above meant, sorry. He does.
[hidden email]
but, again, he works at this and doesn't play like us
on a Linux-machine via wine.
wine sounds familiar.

I googled wine mac

and boy does it sound very very hot. Darwin stuff porting windows to mac. Open source. Geez.
 The after importing I got a really
empty avatar.
I have experience putting textures on objects in dumb worlds with floors and cubes with arrows, but I think the collision avoidance in bvh might be the AI Americo alludes to as transcending mere graphics and maybe that is the quadtree stuff and graph theory allusions of bvh.

Empty is figurative for without mere applied textures, just wireframe, or as in post by McCahill, without prana? I suspect you want something filled with the breath of life.

It is the second Americo course where I become such a wizard. You want to see if you can get the help of these other people who are probably very busy with other wizards.

I have no hard and cold answer to your question, but perhaps someone else with have the prana to pick it up from where I left off.

Re: getting the avatars (*.obj and *.bvh)

Bugzilla from m.krueger@digidrops.de

Thank you, I took a short look over the example avatars. Especially
Mike. I could import it. They came as very big Giants :) Had to put the
y-Translation to -10. The scale Factor seems to do nothing yet.

But, nice to see something, for first :)

bye,

m.

quoting Paul Sheldon, 22.08.2007 13:10:26:

Mathias Krüger wrote:

>Thank you, I took a short look over the example avatars. Especially
>Mike. I could import it. They came as very big Giants :)

How did you import them? I couldn't figure that out. I just read them to
get a feel of what was in an avatar. Would it be hard to tell how?

>Had to put the
>y-Translation to -10. The scale Factor seems to do nothing yet.
>
>But, nice to see something, for first :)

Re: getting the avatars (*.obj and *.bvh)

Bugzilla from m.krueger@digidrops.de
In SimpleDemo or in Sailing, there is a Menu which support some avatar
actions. There you go to "Load avatar with bvh Motion" and load f.e.
The Mike.obj file and the MikeStandNEW1.bvh and MikeWalkCylceNEW1.bvh.
Set the y-Translation to -10. Ok, and wait a little. (Loading needs
time). Then you should go and you see the legs. If there is a mirror
somewhere you can see your avatar.

quoting Paul Sheldon, 22.08.2007 22:19:42:

Mathias Krüger wrote:
In SimpleDemo or in Sailing, there is a Menu which support some avatar
actions. There you go to "Load avatar with bvh Motion" and load f.e.
The Mike.obj file and the MikeStandNEW1.bvh and MikeWalkCylceNEW1.bvh.
Set the y-Translation to -10. Ok, and wait a little. (Loading needs
time). Then you should go and you see the legs. If there is a mirror
somewhere you can see your avatar.

Wow, I was in first person view mode with SimpleDemo(Master), I had to enlarge the mirror to see a giant fly on a pair of jeans. Like you said in the original post these are giants.

The wait for the load is signified by the clouds stopping motion.

I need a mirror because no switch to gamer point of view that would see my own avatar from first person with invisible avatar that I seem to be in with this sort of import.

SimpleDemo(Master) imported the walking animation somewhat in my intuitive control. I enlarged the mirror and could see the arm swing, but I couldn't get the whole picture, eg. the head. Maybe that is where the y=-10 comes in.

Looking to get gamer point of view I used the pressme world. A dangerous world use because Wisconsin/Duke/etc doesn't know all about Minnesota code and Minnesota is transitioning away from this *.obj and *.bvh stuff into another version.

I went to the Wisconsin world press me button (not in Wisconsin) with a dialogue cancel to keep my local fast feedback rather than internet latency obscuring my intutions.

Saw option button stuck down for incessant travel with mouse pointer. Before getting motion out of control, I had, with controllable rabbit, tried all existant portals and found they weren't mirrors. I didn't see recurse on the goto menu and don't even know whether that is making a mirror. The motion isn't handled by the Wisconsin world code and is out of my control. Andrea keeps moving, too.

On quitting, I saw an indicator that a file was still loading, though I believe the clouds had started moving. I made the window of croquet bigger after world appeared so I could get the halo size handle accessible and saw no hidden file load indicator sliding around the inner world display. So, maybe the screen graphics just hadn't refreshed.

Now, I'm going to check if I can get another viewpoint. 3rd person perspect got me the seat of a giants pants and tail chase got me his hand dragging subterraneum.

Hey, am I actually being a beta tester. I got the energy again to be a croquet user rather than a reader of Americo waiting to become a wise croquet wizard.

This is good. A phone call indicated there is a bug reporter place and I might write this up even better there.

I am happy to have observed something for first myself! Congratulations all around! I am happy to have collaborated and will look for this bug reporter thing as a whole new place to write stuff up. I would suspect what might be reported there is beyond my level to understand, but I think they there might understand the stuff above means as far as code changes.

Admittedly, this stuff needs work and that is why I like to be here. I get the conversation of hopefully friends working out things with me. I get response from wise people here.

I never got response from Maya PLE on integration of passive and active objects (choreographed vs. those under influence of simulated gravitation).