glamorous theme :)

12

glamorous theme :)

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Over the past week I worked on a new theme for Pharo called the
Glamorous Theme :). The theme is developed in the context of the
Glamour project, and its goal is to create a look that:
- does not look like a specific operating system. In particular, the
icons should be operating system agnostic, because, for example,
people in Windows are confused by the red, yellow, green buttons of
apple.
- uses a limited amount of colors and effects.

It is still work in progress, but you can get the current version by
executing:

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'Glamour';
        package: 'Glamour-Morphic-Theme';
        load.
GLMUITheme defaultSettings: nil.
GLMUITheme beCurrent.
GLMUITheme setPreferredWorldBackground.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of
problem understanding."

Re: [SPAM] glamorous theme :)

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Hi Doru,

Nice indeed, clean & professional, x-platform. I see that you managed to get 'button with focus' (blue border) drawn correctly, even though you subclass 'Watery2' which has round buttons, which was a problem with the Pro theme. I tried to solve it, but I got lost. Maybe you can see what is wrong there ? (see my mail aug 30).

Regards,

Sven

On 04 Sep 2010, at 23:18, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Over the past week I worked on a new theme for Pharo called the Glamorous Theme :). The theme is developed in the context of the Glamour project, and its goal is to create a look that:
> - does not look like a specific operating system. In particular, the icons should be operating system agnostic, because, for example, people in Windows are confused by the red, yellow, green buttons of apple.
> - uses a limited amount of colors and effects.
>
> It is still work in progress, but you can get the current version by executing:
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'Glamour';
> package: 'Glamour-Morphic-Theme';
> load.
> GLMUITheme defaultSettings: nil.
> GLMUITheme beCurrent.
> GLMUITheme setPreferredWorldBackground.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: [SPAM] glamorous theme :)

Tudor Girba
Hi Sven,

I am not sure I understand what you are referring to. Could you be
more explicit?

The reason I chose square shapes is that as long as we do not have
proper and fast antialiasing, it requires images (like in the watery2
theme) which are time consuming to produce, or it just does not look
nice.

Cheers,
Doru

On 5 Sep 2010, at 08:23, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Hi Doru,
>
> Nice indeed, clean & professional, x-platform. I see that you
> managed to get 'button with focus' (blue border) drawn correctly,
> even though you subclass 'Watery2' which has round buttons, which
> was a problem with the Pro theme. I tried to solve it, but I got
> lost. Maybe you can see what is wrong there ? (see my mail aug 30).
>
> Regards,
>
> Sven
>
> On 04 Sep 2010, at 23:18, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Over the past week I worked on a new theme for Pharo called the
>> Glamorous Theme :). The theme is developed in the context of the
>> Glamour project, and its goal is to create a look that:
>> - does not look like a specific operating system. In particular,
>> the icons should be operating system agnostic, because, for
>> example, people in Windows are confused by the red, yellow, green
>> buttons of apple.
>> - uses a limited amount of colors and effects.
>>
>> It is still work in progress, but you can get the current version
>> by executing:
>>
>> Gofer new
>> squeaksource: 'Glamour';
>> package: 'Glamour-Morphic-Theme';
>> load.
>> GLMUITheme defaultSettings: nil.
>> GLMUITheme beCurrent.
>> GLMUITheme setPreferredWorldBackground.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of
>> problem understanding."

www.tudorgirba.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: glamorous theme :)

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 05 Sep 2010, at 09:08, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Sven,
>
> I am not sure I understand what you are referring to. Could you be more explicit?

Sorry: if you switch to the Pro theme (UIThemePro from the Polymorph-Themes-Pro package, PharoInbox) and do "UITheme exampleBasicControls." you get the following window:

The Default Button has an ugly blue border (well the blue border has the wrong shape). Every dialog has this ugly button that's why it is a pity because the Theme is otherwise quite nice.

I really got lost trying to fix this (I lack knowledge of all this drawing code). But you probably encountered similar problems.

> The reason I chose square shapes is that as long as we do not have proper and fast antialiasing, it requires images (like in the watery2 theme) which are time consuming to produce, or it just does not look nice.

Having a fast theme is also a definitive plus, sure.

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> On 5 Sep 2010, at 08:23, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> Hi Doru,
>>
>> Nice indeed, clean & professional, x-platform. I see that you managed to get 'button with focus' (blue border) drawn correctly, even though you subclass 'Watery2' which has round buttons, which was a problem with the Pro theme. I tried to solve it, but I got lost. Maybe you can see what is wrong there ? (see my mail aug 30).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> On 04 Sep 2010, at 23:18, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Over the past week I worked on a new theme for Pharo called the Glamorous Theme :). The theme is developed in the context of the Glamour project, and its goal is to create a look that:
>>> - does not look like a specific operating system. In particular, the icons should be operating system agnostic, because, for example, people in Windows are confused by the red, yellow, green buttons of apple.
>>> - uses a limited amount of colors and effects.
>>>
>>> It is still work in progress, but you can get the current version by executing:
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>> squeaksource: 'Glamour';
>>> package: 'Glamour-Morphic-Theme';
>>> load.
>>> GLMUITheme defaultSettings: nil.
>>> GLMUITheme beCurrent.
>>> GLMUITheme setPreferredWorldBackground.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

Screen shot 2010-09-05 at 09.28.50.png (153K) Download Attachment

Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

screenshots PLEASE!
On Sep 4, 2010, at 11:18 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Over the past week I worked on a new theme for Pharo called the Glamorous Theme :). The theme is developed in the context of the Glamour project, and its goal is to create a look that:
> - does not look like a specific operating system. In particular, the icons should be operating system agnostic, because, for example, people in Windows are confused by the red, yellow, green buttons of apple.
> - uses a limited amount of colors and effects.
>
> It is still work in progress, but you can get the current version by executing:
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'Glamour';
> package: 'Glamour-Morphic-Theme';
> load.
> GLMUITheme defaultSettings: nil.
> GLMUITheme beCurrent.
> GLMUITheme setPreferredWorldBackground.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

laurent laffont
I like it.

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On 05 Sep 2010, at 09:54, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> screenshots PLEASE!

http://homepage.mac.com/svc/Screenshots/Screenshot-20100905T111347.png

Doru,

I made the #baseSelectionColor almost black (I didn't like the blue, de gustibus non est disputandum ;-) by overwriting it:

baseSelectionColor
        ^ "Color r: 0.38 g: 0.64 b: 0.88" Color darkGray muchDarker

I could subclass as well I guess, or you could make it into a variable with a setter, what do you think ?

Anyway, very well done, it feels very fast, which was a goal I presume.

Sven

PS: the name is a nice pun too!

Re: glamorous theme :)

Tudor Girba
Indeed, I struggled with this, too, and I have no idea why it happens.
It should overlap with the normal border. It looks like some kind of
Morphic voodoo :)

Doru

On 5 Sep 2010, at 09:37, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 05 Sep 2010, at 09:08, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi Sven,
>>
>> I am not sure I understand what you are referring to. Could you be
>> more explicit?
>
> Sorry: if you switch to the Pro theme (UIThemePro from the Polymorph-
> Themes-Pro package, PharoInbox) and do "UITheme
> exampleBasicControls." you get the following window:
>
> <Screen shot 2010-09-05 at 09.28.50.png>
>
> The Default Button has an ugly blue border (well the blue border has
> the wrong shape). Every dialog has this ugly button that's why it is
> a pity because the Theme is otherwise quite nice.
>
> I really got lost trying to fix this (I lack knowledge of all this
> drawing code). But you probably encountered similar problems.
>
>> The reason I chose square shapes is that as long as we do not have
>> proper and fast antialiasing, it requires images (like in the
>> watery2 theme) which are time consuming to produce, or it just does
>> not look nice.
>
> Having a fast theme is also a definitive plus, sure.
>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> On 5 Sep 2010, at 08:23, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Doru,
>>>
>>> Nice indeed, clean & professional, x-platform. I see that you
>>> managed to get 'button with focus' (blue border) drawn correctly,
>>> even though you subclass 'Watery2' which has round buttons, which
>>> was a problem with the Pro theme. I tried to solve it, but I got
>>> lost. Maybe you can see what is wrong there ? (see my mail aug 30).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Sven

www.tudorgirba.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot
be done."

On 5 Sep 2010, at 11:23, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 05 Sep 2010, at 09:54, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> screenshots PLEASE!
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/svc/Screenshots/Screenshot-20100905T111347.png
>
> Doru,
>
> I made the #baseSelectionColor almost black (I didn't like the blue,
> de gustibus non est disputandum ;-) by overwriting it:
>
> baseSelectionColor
> ^ "Color r: 0.38 g: 0.64 b: 0.88" Color darkGray muchDarker

:) No comment.

> I could subclass as well I guess, or you could make it into a
> variable with a setter, what do you think ?

In my mind, the theme should be the entry point that attaches a name
to a consistent design. We already have ThemeSettings which already
introduce a lot of complexity and which leads to a mess. I would
actually prefer to have only a hierarchy of Themes without any, or in
exceptional cases very limited, parametrization options.

Perhaps the selection color could be made a parameter, but at the
moment I would still prefer subclassing.

> Anyway, very well done, it feels very fast, which was a goal I
> presume.

Thanks. Speed was a goal indeed.

Cheers,
Doru

> Sven
>
> PS: the name is a nice pun too!

:)

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

On 05 Sep 2010, at 12:02, Tudor Girba wrote:

> In my mind, the theme should be the entry point that attaches a name to a consistent design. We already have ThemeSettings which already introduce a lot of complexity and which leads to a mess. I would actually prefer to have only a hierarchy of Themes without any, or in exceptional cases very limited, parametrization options.
>
> Perhaps the selection color could be made a parameter, but at the moment I would still prefer subclassing.

OK, I understand, UIThemes are already complex enough. I'll subclass, the hooks are there (you made some extra elements explicit, so that is good).

Sven

Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

Igor Stasenko
On 5 September 2010 12:23, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05 Sep 2010, at 09:54, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> screenshots PLEASE!
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/svc/Screenshots/Screenshot-20100905T111347.png

No round corners! kewl! :))

> Doru,
>
> I made the #baseSelectionColor almost black (I didn't like the blue, de gustibus non est disputandum ;-) by overwriting it:
>
> baseSelectionColor
>        ^ "Color r: 0.38 g: 0.64 b: 0.88" Color darkGray muchDarker
>
> I could subclass as well I guess, or you could make it into a variable with a setter, what do you think ?
>
> Anyway, very well done, it feels very fast, which was a goal I presume.
>
> Sven
>
> PS: the name is a nice pun too!

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: glamorous theme :)

a bit too grey for me, I prefer anymorphic on that front.

Stef

On Sep 5, 2010, at 10:15 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> I like it.
>
> Screenshot: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/C8Psie5Q-msL2ZDAiIf3BQ?feat=directlink
>
> Laurent Laffont
>
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> screenshots PLEASE!
> On Sep 4, 2010, at 11:18 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Over the past week I worked on a new theme for Pharo called the Glamorous Theme :). The theme is developed in the context of the Glamour project, and its goal is to create a look that:
> > - does not look like a specific operating system. In particular, the icons should be operating system agnostic, because, for example, people in Windows are confused by the red, yellow, green buttons of apple.
> > - uses a limited amount of colors and effects.
> >
> > It is still work in progress, but you can get the current version by executing:
> >
> > Gofer new
> >       squeaksource: 'Glamour';
> >       package: 'Glamour-Morphic-Theme';
> >       load.
> > GLMUITheme defaultSettings: nil.
> > GLMUITheme beCurrent.
> > GLMUITheme setPreferredWorldBackground.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >
> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

tx
Doru don;t you want to put a bit of blue in the look instead of all this grey.

Stef

On Sep 5, 2010, at 11:23 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 05 Sep 2010, at 09:54, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> screenshots PLEASE!
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/svc/Screenshots/Screenshot-20100905T111347.png
>
> Doru,
>
> I made the #baseSelectionColor almost black (I didn't like the blue, de gustibus non est disputandum ;-) by overwriting it:
>
> baseSelectionColor
> ^ "Color r: 0.38 g: 0.64 b: 0.88" Color darkGray muchDarker
>
> I could subclass as well I guess, or you could make it into a variable with a setter, what do you think ?
>
> Anyway, very well done, it feels very fast, which was a goal I presume.
>
> Sven
>
> PS: the name is a nice pun too!

Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

Stephan Eggermont-3
Sven wrote:
> Sorry: if you switch to the Pro theme

The example basic controls shows the following issues:
- Default button looks smaller because the blue
  border is (imperfectly) written over the black outline.
- Selected Disabled Button is unreadable. The contrast
  between the gray text and the blue background is too low.
  It could be improved by using outline style.
- The gradient is blue is much stronger than that in black.
  I would say the black needs more lights. The buttons
  contrast too much with the light gray background.
- The disabled checkbox misses a line at the top
- Borders of button, checkbox and radiobutton should
  look similarly sharp. Now the button looks sharp,
  while the others look blurry. The same goes for
  drop lists, normal lists and text editor.
- Vertical spacing between the radiobuttons is inconsistent.
- Text Entry looks like it has more height when disabled.
  This is due to the top gradient of the non-disabled one.
- Disabled slider handle is too dark.
- Backgound color for Text Entry, Slider, List (s) and
  Text editor should be the same for disabled state.
  The same goes for disabled text foreground color.
  Why has disabled drop list a different text color than
  a disabled text entry?
- Lists should have the same corner as text entry.
- Drop list button has the V a-symmetrical.
- Difference between normal list and disabled list
  is too small.
- The border between scroll bar buttons and light gray
  background is not enough pronounced.

Stephan

Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

Tudor Girba
Hi Stephan,

Is this for Pro or for Glamorous?

Cheers,
Doru

On 5 Sep 2010, at 20:24, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> Sven wrote:
>> Sorry: if you switch to the Pro theme
>
> The example basic controls shows the following issues:
> - Default button looks smaller because the blue
>  border is (imperfectly) written over the black outline.
> - Selected Disabled Button is unreadable. The contrast
>  between the gray text and the blue background is too low.
>  It could be improved by using outline style.
> - The gradient is blue is much stronger than that in black.
>  I would say the black needs more lights. The buttons
>  contrast too much with the light gray background.
> - The disabled checkbox misses a line at the top
> - Borders of button, checkbox and radiobutton should
>  look similarly sharp. Now the button looks sharp,
>  while the others look blurry. The same goes for
>  drop lists, normal lists and text editor.
> - Vertical spacing between the radiobuttons is inconsistent.
> - Text Entry looks like it has more height when disabled.
>  This is due to the top gradient of the non-disabled one.
> - Disabled slider handle is too dark.
> - Backgound color for Text Entry, Slider, List (s) and
>  Text editor should be the same for disabled state.
>  The same goes for disabled text foreground color.
>  Why has disabled drop list a different text color than
>  a disabled text entry?
> - Lists should have the same corner as text entry.
> - Drop list button has the V a-symmetrical.
> - Difference between normal list and disabled list
>  is too small.
> - The border between scroll bar buttons and light gray
>  background is not enough pronounced.
>
> Stephan

www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

Tudor Girba
Hi Stef,

I am not sure what you are referring to (and I am not sure you are
looking at the right screenshot).

There is blue/lightblue to focus you on what is the current selection
(tab, button, selected text). I did not use it for embellishments
because that is much harder to get right, and I really wanted to get
as much as possible with only 2 base colors and 2-3 shades.

Cheers,
Doru

On 5 Sep 2010, at 19:10, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> tx
> Doru don;t you want to put a bit of blue in the look instead of all
> this grey.
>
> Stef
>
> On Sep 5, 2010, at 11:23 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>

>> On 05 Sep 2010, at 09:54, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> screenshots PLEASE!
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/svc/Screenshots/
>> Screenshot-20100905T111347.png
>>
>> Doru,
>>
>> I made the #baseSelectionColor almost black (I didn't like the
>> blue, de gustibus non est disputandum ;-) by overwriting it:
>>
>> baseSelectionColor
>> ^ "Color r: 0.38 g: 0.64 b: 0.88" Color darkGray muchDarker
>>
>> I could subclass as well I guess, or you could make it into a
>> variable with a setter, what do you think ?
>>
>> Anyway, very well done, it feels very fast, which was a goal I
>> presume.
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> PS: the name is a nice pun too!

www.tudorgirba.com

"Yesterday is a fact.
  Tomorrow is a possibility.
  Today is a challenge."

Re: glamorous theme :)

Gary Chambers-4
Nice work!

For buttons, the focus corner radius is controlled by the theme method:

#buttonFocusIndicatorCornerRadiusFor:

Regards, Gary

On 05 Sep 2010, at 09:08, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Sven,
>
> I am not sure I understand what you are referring to. Could you be more
> explicit?

Sorry: if you switch to the Pro theme (UIThemePro from the
Polymorph-Themes-Pro package, PharoInbox) and do "UITheme
exampleBasicControls." you get the following window:

The Default Button has an ugly blue border (well the blue border has the
wrong shape). Every dialog has this ugly button that's why it is a pity
because the Theme is otherwise quite nice.

I really got lost trying to fix this (I lack knowledge of all this drawing
code). But you probably encountered similar problems.

> The reason I chose square shapes is that as long as we do not have proper
> and fast antialiasing, it requires images (like in the watery2 theme)
> which are time consuming to produce, or it just does not look nice.

Having a fast theme is also a definitive plus, sure.

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> On 5 Sep 2010, at 08:23, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> Hi Doru,
>>
>> Nice indeed, clean & professional, x-platform. I see that you managed to
>> get 'button with focus' (blue border) drawn correctly, even though you
>> subclass 'Watery2' which has round buttons, which was a problem with the
>> Pro theme. I tried to solve it, but I got lost. Maybe you can see what is
>> wrong there ? (see my mail aug 30).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> On 04 Sep 2010, at 23:18, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Over the past week I worked on a new theme for Pharo called the
>>> Glamorous Theme :). The theme is developed in the context of the Glamour
>>> project, and its goal is to create a look that:
>>> - does not look like a specific operating system. In particular, the
>>> icons should be operating system agnostic, because, for example, people
>>> in Windows are confused by the red, yellow, green buttons of apple.
>>> - uses a limited amount of colors and effects.
>>>
>>> It is still work in progress, but you can get the current version by
>>> executing:
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>> squeaksource: 'Glamour';
>>> package: 'Glamour-Morphic-Theme';
>>> load.
>>> GLMUITheme defaultSettings: nil.
>>> GLMUITheme beCurrent.
>>> GLMUITheme setPreferredWorldBackground.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

Re: glamorous theme :)

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply.

On 06 Sep 2010, at 12:20, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Nice work!

The 'Pro' theme is not mine, it was written by [hidden email].
I am just playing with it, trying to make it work for me.

> For buttons, the focus corner radius is controlled by the theme method:
>
> #buttonFocusIndicatorCornerRadiusFor:

Yeah, I found that too, but although a radius around 6 comes close, it does not seem to fit exactly...

Sven

Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

Alexandre Bergel
>> http://homepage.mac.com/svc/Screenshots/Screenshot-20100905T111347.png
>>
> No round corners! kewl! :))

I would prefer round corners.

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

Adrian Lienhard
So, so now we have 2 themes that appear to be better than the one we use now... I suggest to choose one, maybe adapt it slightly, and integrate it into Pharo 1.2.

Personally, I prefer Glamorous over the Pro theme [1] (I just miss the round corners like Alex :). The dark buttons of the Pro theme look cool at first, but they are very dominant.

How do we proceed?

Cheers,
Adrian

[1] Polymorph-Themes-Pro package in the PharoInbox repositrory

On Sep 6, 2010, at 16:41 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>>> http://homepage.mac.com/svc/Screenshots/Screenshot-20100905T111347.png
>>>
>> No round corners! kewl! :))
>
> I would prefer round corners.
>
> Alexandre