graduated fill

Sholom Eisenstat-2
How does one fill a morph with a 'graduated fill' ?
It's easy enough to do with the halo button on a playfield but filling a morph eludes me!!

Sholom Eisenstat

Re: graduated fill

Markus Gälli-3
Hi Sholom,

> How does one fill a morph with a 'graduated fill' ?
> It's easy enough to do with the halo button on a playfield but
> filling a morph eludes me!!

Which halo button of the playfield? If the one as explained below I
(again...) did not understand your problem.

So if you are not talking about SketchMorphs ;-) (and if you are not
already doing the following)  then use the pipette-halo (purple,
left, second from bottom).
In the upcoming dialog deselect "solid fill" and then you can define
the second gradient on the right, including origin and direction.

Hope that helps,

Markus

Re: graduated fill

Markus Gälli-3

On Mar 3, 2006, at 2:06 AM, Sholom Eisenstat wrote:

> so, more playing.....
>

> If I take a morph from the supplies tab, what I want to do can be
> done, but why can't I do the same thing with a morph I create with
> the graphic tools?
Hi Sholom,

I have experienced that many starters of EToys think of sketches as
rectangles.  But a sketch can be any graphical object.

The best mileage you can get from a sketch is to make it a compact
one - like the classical red car. Then it is easy to think of it as
an object.
But the space to do the gradient fill in is not be well defined in a
sketch - shall it fill the tires or the body of the car?

So:
If you need to draw an arbitrary closed surface with a gradient fill
try Curve or Polygon.
If you need a rectangular filled background with some sketch on top
just stick to Playfield.

And please:

Sholom: reply to all, so that others can participate in the discussion
or
Listmaster: set the default to reply to list as it is in Squeak-dev
;-)

Cheers,

Markus

Re: graduated fill

Sholom Eisenstat-2
With some experimenting in class, we've determined that a morph created with the draw tools does not have the same set of color/border tiles that a morth grabbed from the supplies tab has. The latter's tiles enable the fill stuff whereas the former's don't.

So, that appears to be the end of that thread though I don't understand why the difference is programmed in as such.

Markus Gaelli <[hidden email]> on Friday, March 3, 2006 at 4:27 AM
wrote:

>On Mar 3, 2006, at 2:06 AM, Sholom Eisenstat wrote:
>
>> so, more playing.....
>>

>> If I take a morph from the supplies tab, what I want to do can be
>> done, but why can't I do the same thing with a morph I create with
>> the graphic tools?
>Hi Sholom,
>
>I have experienced that many starters of EToys think of sketches as
>rectangles.  But a sketch can be any graphical object.
>
>The best mileage you can get from a sketch is to make it a compact
>one - like the classical red car. Then it is easy to think of it as
>an object.
>But the space to do the gradient fill in is not be well defined in a
>sketch - shall it fill the tires or the body of the car?
>
>So:
>If you need to draw an arbitrary closed surface with a gradient fill
>try Curve or Polygon.
>If you need a rectangular filled background with some sketch on top
>just stick to Playfield.
>
>And please:
>
>Sholom: reply to all, so that others can participate in the discussion
>or
>Listmaster: set the default to reply to list as it is in Squeak-dev
>;-)
>
>Cheers,
>
>Markus

Sholom Eisenstat

Re: graduated fill

Alan Kay
Hi --

 07:44 AM 3/3/2006, Sholom Eisenstat wrote:
With some experimenting in class, we've determined that a morph created with the draw tools does not have the same set of color/border tiles that a morth grabbed from the supplies tab has. The latter's tiles enable the fill stuff whereas the former's don't.

So, that appears to be the end of that thread though I don't understand why the difference is programmed in as such.

Yep, it shouldn't be. The plan for the new system is for everything 2D to be made from polygon/curves, and that bit-map painting will essentially be a texture. We have also been experimenting with freehand painting that results in vector graphics objects on the fly ...

Cheers,

Alan

wrote:

>On Mar 3, 2006, at 2:06 AM, Sholom Eisenstat wrote:
>
>> so, more playing.....
>>

>> If I take a morph from the supplies tab, what I want to do can be
>> done, but why can't I do the same thing with a morph I create with
>> the graphic tools?
>Hi Sholom,
>
>I have experienced that many starters of EToys think of sketches as
>rectangles.  But a sketch can be any graphical object.
>
>The best mileage you can get from a sketch is to make it a compact
>one - like the classical red car. Then it is easy to think of it as
>an object.
>But the space to do the gradient fill in is not be well defined in a
>sketch - shall it fill the tires or the body of the car?
>
>So:
>If you need to draw an arbitrary closed surface with a gradient fill
>try Curve or Polygon.
>If you need a rectangular filled background with some sketch on top
>just stick to Playfield.
>
>And please:
>
>Sholom: reply to all, so that others can participate in the discussion
>or
>Listmaster: set the default to reply to list as it is in Squeak-dev
>;-)
>
>Cheers,
>
>Markus

Sholom Eisenstat

Re: graduated fill

Bob Arning
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:44:49 -0500 "Sholom Eisenstat" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>With some experimenting in class, we've determined that a morph created with the draw tools does not have the same set of color/border tiles that a morth grabbed from the supplies tab has. The latter's tiles enable the fill stuff whereas the former's don't.
>
>So, that appears to be the end of that thread though I don't understand why the difference is programmed in as such.

Sholom,

Simplicity is probably as good a reason as any - simplicity of implementation and simplicity of understanding. Things you get from the supplies bin, like rectangles and ellipses, have a rather obvious border and color, both of which can easily be changed and the user understands what will happen. When you create something with the draw tools, this is much less clear. If you drew something complex, with multiple colors, possibly disjoint regions, and convex/concave edges, where/how would a border be drawn? Would a fill replace the entire rectangle enclosing the drawing, or only parts that had been "drawn", or only one/some colors? It's possible that what you want could be achieved by embedding the sketch in a rectangle and then filling/bordering the rectangle.

Cheers,
Bob