help with morphic

Joseph Alotta
Greetings,

I am having trouble getting started with Morphic.  I tried the tutorial on squeak.org and found it too hard to follow.  Now I have morphs on my screen and I don’t know how to close them.

I looked for videos on Morphic and found only a technical comparison of changes.  Is there a video designed for beginners that someone not an egghead can follow?

Sincerely,

Joe._______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list

Re: help with morphic

Ben Coman
On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 4:43 AM, Joseph Alotta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am having trouble getting started with Morphic.  I tried the tutorial on squeak.org and found it too hard to follow.  Now I have morphs on my screen and I don’t know how to close them.
>
> I looked for videos on Morphic and found only a technical comparison of changes.  Is there a video designed for beginners that someone not an egghead can follow?

I think Steve Wessels LaserGame is a great general tutorial, which
also covers Morphic.
http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/

Re: help with morphic

Ben Coman
On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 7:38 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 4:43 AM, Joseph Alotta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am having trouble getting started with Morphic.  I tried the tutorial on squeak.org and found it too hard to follow.  Now I have morphs on my screen and I don’t know how to close them.
>>
>> I looked for videos on Morphic and found only a technical comparison of changes.  Is there a video designed for beginners that someone not an egghead can follow?
>
> I think Steve Wessels LaserGame is a great general tutorial, which
> also covers Morphic.
> http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/
(Sorry, darn keyboard shortcut sent that before I'd finished.  )

Best to regress to Squeak 3.9 while doing the tutorial, then if you
like, upgrade your game to current version.

cheers -ben

Re: help with morphic

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 19/05/16 22:43, Joseph Alotta wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am having trouble getting started with Morphic.  I tried the tutorial on squeak.org and found it too hard to follow.  Now I have morphs on my screen and I don’t know how to close them.
>
> I looked for videos on Morphic and found only a technical comparison of changes.  Is there a video designed for beginners that someone not an egghead can follow?

I have produced some material on Morphic with Pharo. There are of course
small differences with Squeak, but most of it should translate well. If
you tell me where it gets confusing, I can explain better and fix.

https://github.com/StephanEggermont/MorphicDraw

https://vimeo.com/130781061

Stephan

Re: help with morphic

Bert Freudenberg

> On 19.05.2016, at 22:43, Joseph Alotta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> I am having trouble getting started with Morphic.  I tried the tutorial on squeak.org and found it too hard to follow.  Now I have morphs on my screen and I don’t know how to close them.
>
> I looked for videos on Morphic and found only a technical comparison of changes.  Is there a video designed for beginners that someone not an egghead can follow?

Lawson English produced a series of tutorial videos. He covers Morphic starting at #18:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: help with morphic

Bert Freudenberg

> On 20.05.2016, at 10:35, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 19.05.2016, at 22:43, Joseph Alotta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am having trouble getting started with Morphic.  I tried the tutorial on squeak.org and found it too hard to follow.  Now I have morphs on my screen and I don’t know how to close them.
>>
>> I looked for videos on Morphic and found only a technical comparison of changes.  Is there a video designed for beginners that someone not an egghead can follow?
>
> Lawson English produced a series of tutorial videos. He covers Morphic starting at #18:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D
Btw, this and others are linked from:

        http://squeak.org/documentation/

but maybe that’s not visible enough?