hi

Hans Schueren
hi fellows.

Let x = 100

RE: hi

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi Hans,

|x|
x := 100.

|x| defines a temp x.  | x y | defines both x and y as temps.

The assignment operator is :=

If you use = or == you are asking for a comparison of x and 100.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: hi

Chronos
Hans,

Here's a complete program which will print the numbers from 1 to 10 on the console (each on its own line):

index := 0.
[index < 10]
    whileTrue:
        [index := index + 1.
        Transcript
             show: index printString;
             cr]

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hans,

|x|
x := 100.

|x| defines a temp x.  | x y | defines both x and y as temps.

The assignment operator is :=

If you use = or == you are asking for a comparison of x and 100.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

"Over it is not, until over it is." -- Yoda Berra

Re: hi

Casey Ransberger-2
Hi Hans. Hello world:)

> On Oct 30, 2014, at 10:51 AM, Hans Schueren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hi fellows.
>
> Let x = 100

Re: hi

Herbert König
Just think of your reply. He won't bother to read the mailing list. :-))

Cheers

Herbert

Am 31.10.2014 um 11:38 schrieb Casey Ransberger:

> Hi Hans. Hello world:)
>
>> On Oct 30, 2014, at 10:51 AM, Hans Schueren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> hi fellows.
>>
>> Let x = 100

RE: hi

Ron Teitelbaum

> From: Herbert König
> Just think of your reply. He won't bother to read the mailing list. :-))

I thought the same thing but figured, this is a friendly group that
encourages people to write in with newbie questions.  Someone else might
read it and say, "Hey cool group".

:)

Ron

> Cheers
>
> Herbert
>
> Am 31.10.2014 um 11:38 schrieb Casey Ransberger:
> > Hi Hans. Hello world:)
> >
> >> On Oct 30, 2014, at 10:51 AM, Hans Schueren <werbung@hans-
> schueren.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> hi fellows.
> >>
> >> Let x = 100

Re: hi

Casey Ransberger-2
In some places, weirdly enough, it's considered rude not to say "hello" when passing through. At first I thought I'd ignore the message. Then I thought about translating it (as someone else has done [|x| x:=100]) and then I thought about the implications of all that and just decided to say hello...

So hello? Is there anyone out there? This is England calling? Hallo?

:D

Hello.

> On Oct 31, 2014, at 9:48 AM, "Ron Teitelbaum" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> From: Herbert König
>> Just think of your reply. He won't bother to read the mailing list. :-))
>
> I thought the same thing but figured, this is a friendly group that
> encourages people to write in with newbie questions.  Someone else might
> read it and say, "Hey cool group".
>
> :)
>
> Ron
>

>> Cheers
>>
>> Herbert
>>
>>> Am 31.10.2014 um 11:38 schrieb Casey Ransberger:
>>> Hi Hans. Hello world:)

Re: hi

Casey Ransberger-2
So uh... what kinda stuff are you into. Do you like parsing things? I enjoy parsing. Among other things. And some friends have put me onto some fantastic tea.

Hi? Are you a robot? It's okay if you are, I definitely won't judge you for it.

Your pal,

Casey

> On Oct 30, 2014, at 10:51 AM, Hans Schueren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hi fellows.
>
> Let x = 100

RE: hi

Ron Teitelbaum