how do I get Seaside up on my Squeak?

Alistair Cockburn
It seems none of the tutorials start far enough at the back for me...

Lukas Renggli wrote me:
<<
I suggest that you start with the Squeak-Dev image of Damien.

    http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/

Open -> Universe Browser -> Web Development -> Seaside

After evaluating "WAKom startOn: 8080" you should have running
Seaside on "http://localhost:8080/seaside".

I downloaded the file
        sq3.9-7067dev07.10.1.zip
from that site and unpacked it.
The package contains no "squeak.exe", only the image and the changes.

So I downloaded
        Squeak3.9-win32.zip
from somewhere else I found, and it contains a "squeak.exe"

I can open the .exe file, but I don't know how to get it to use Damien's image.

Actually, I can't follow Lukas' next instructions, because I have no idea what
    Open -> Universe Browser -> Web Development -> Seaside
means. Are those classes inside Damien's image? or subdirectories somewhere I can't find? or totally-obvious-to-someone-else shortcut descriptions of commands?

I hope someone has the patience to help me through this.
p.s. I'm running Windows XP

thanks

Alistair Cockburn, Humans and Technology, Inc.
801.582.3162     1814 Ft Douglas Cir,  Salt Lake City, UT 84103
http://alistair.cockburn.us/   | acockburn@aol.com

Re: how do I get Seaside up on my Squeak?

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno mer, 10/10/2007 alle 23.59 -0700, Alistair Cockburn ha
scritto:

> It seems none of the tutorials start far enough at the back for me...
>
> Lukas Renggli wrote me:
> <<
> I suggest that you start with the Squeak-Dev image of Damien.
>
>     http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/
>
> Open -> Universe Browser -> Web Development -> Seaside
>
> After evaluating "WAKom startOn: 8080" you should have running
> Seaside on "http://localhost:8080/seaside".
> >>

> I downloaded the file
>         sq3.9-7067dev07.10.1.zip
> from that site and unpacked it.
> The package contains no "squeak.exe", only the image and the changes.
>
> So I downloaded
>         Squeak3.9-win32.zip
> from somewhere else I found, and it contains a "squeak.exe"
>
> I can open the .exe file, but I don't know how to get it to use Damien's
> image.
>
> Actually, I can't follow Lukas' next instructions, because I have no idea
> what
>     Open -> Universe Browser -> Web Development -> Seaside
> means. Are those classes inside Damien's image? or subdirectories somewhere
> I can't find? or totally-obvious-to-someone-else shortcut descriptions of
> commands?
>
> I hope someone has the patience to help me through this.
> p.s. I'm running Windows XP

Hi Alistair,

the easiest thing is to copy the squeak.exe and the SqueakFFIPrims.dll
files in the same folder as Damien's image. Then drag and drop
the .image file over squeak.exe. This should be enough to run the image
(I'm on Linux, so I can't check).

Once the image is running, it will show you the Squeak desktop window.
There's also an option for running the image "headless", so don't worry
about it if you're planning to run that image on a server.

Damien's image will show up with two Morphic windows already open: the
Script Manager and the Preferences Browser. Close them by left-clicking
on the 'X' button or minimize them by left-clicking on the 'O' button.

Once you've cleared the desktop, left-click anywhere on it to bring up
the main menu. From there, select "Open..."->"Universe Browser". Once
the universe browser window is open, select "Web Development" and the
select the Seaside version you want to install (for example, Seaside
2.7.227). Click on the "Select package" button to select it for
installation, the click on the "Install selections button" at the bottom
of the window.

Once the system has finished loading, you will have a working Seaside
installation.

        Ciao,

                Giovanni

Re: how do I get Seaside up on my Squeak?

Alistair Cockburn

Giovanni Corriga wrote
scritto:

the easiest thing is to copy the squeak.exe and the SqueakFFIPrims.dll
files in the same folder as Damien's image. Then drag and drop
the .image file over squeak.exe. This should be enough to run the image
(I'm on Linux, so I can't check).
Interesting --- I had tried that, but since I hadn't worked out the rest of the instructions, I didn't notice anything different from starting ordinary Squeak.

The rest was all very explicit, thanks... here's the sort of thing I'm running into (this is now-solved, but I imagine there are others following me who will make similar mistakes. It took me 5 minutes to work out how to do

Giovanni Corriga wrote
select "Web Development" and select the Seaside version you want to install (for example, Seaside 2.7.227).
The difficulty was understanding how the selection business works in Squeak. I kept clicking and double-clicking the text "Web Development" (the Windows habit) and all that would happen is the text would highlight and un-highlight. To my Windows-adapted eyes, the "buttons" don't look like buttons, they look like they could be anything. I clicked around on everything I could anyway.

In the end, almost by accident, as I was giving up, I double-clicked on the little solid triangle to the left of the phrase "Web Development" and there was a flash of text on the screen as the list opened and closed, and something happened in one of the "button" areas ... and from that I was able to work out to go back and fiddle with the little triangle some more.

After that, it all worked as described, including loading a bunch of stuff, getting my name and password for "config" and I now have run config inside Firefox locally, and have something that says "Seaside" showing on Firefox.

The only reason I belabor this is to indicate the area of confusion a person (I can't be that atypical) will have coming to Squeak. I used Digitalk Smalltalk for 10 years (1987 - 1996), but that doesn't help me understand all the little visual conventions that are known to practiced Squeak users, let alone the Morphic interface (which I will have to face up to someday).

In all cases, many thanks for taking the time to be so explicit. It would of course be much simpler to find someone to sit and do this with - I only wish there were such a person here in Salt Lake City. (If any of you know such a person, let me know!)

Alistair Cockburn