how to get the stack from the debugger?

Chris Muller-3
Sorry if this belongs on the beginners list...   what is the best way
to get a textual copy of the stack from the Debugger window?

I used to use "mail out bug report", which annoyed me with interim
prompts but otherwise allowed me to copy the stack text.

But that's broken in trunk right now, so I'm finding no easy way to
get a text-representation of stack I have here in this debugger
window.  Someone help me out..

Re: how to get the stack from the debugger?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Chris,

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 1:36 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry if this belongs on the beginners list...   what is the best way
to get a textual copy of the stack from the Debugger window?

I used to use "mail out bug report", which annoyed me with interim
prompts but otherwise allowed me to copy the stack text.

But that's broken in trunk right now, so I'm finding no easy way to
get a text-representation of stack I have here in this debugger
window.  Someone help me out..

Mail out bug report... should give you an editor on a mail message containing the full stack, with a chance to edit before sending. Alas for me it crashed with the following ;-) (and of course one can extract from within the ensuing debugger)

Subject: [BUG]UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #mimeDecode:as:

here insert explanation of what you were doing, suspect changes you''ve made and so forth.

17 April 2018 3:29:06.654644 pm

VM: Mac OS - Smalltalk
Image: Squeak6.0alpha [latest update: #17884]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /Users/eliot/Cog
Trusted Dir /foobar/tooBar/forSqueak/bogus/
Untrusted Dir /Users/eliot/Library/Preferences/Squeak/Internet/My Squeak/

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #mimeDecode:as:
Receiver: nil
Arguments and temporary variables:
aMessage: mimeDecode: a ReadStream as: String
exception: MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>mimeDecode:as:
resumeValue: nil
Receiver''s instance variables:
nil

MailMessage>>initializeFromString:
Receiver: <<error during printing>>
Arguments and temporary variables:
<<error during printing>
Receiver''s instance variables:
text: ''From: [hidden email]
...etc...
body: MIMEDocument (text/plain, 1 bytes)
fields: a Dictionary(''from''->an OrderedCollection(a MIMEHeaderValue: eliot.mira...etc...
parts: nil

MailMessage class>>from:
Receiver: MailMessage
Arguments and temporary variables:
aString: ''From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]...etc...
Receiver''s instance variables:
superclass: Object
methodDict: a MethodDictionary(#addAttachmentFrom:withName:->(MailMessage>>#add...etc...
format: 65540
instanceVariables: #(''text'' ''body'' ''fields'' ''parts'')
organization: (''access'' name setText:)
(''fields'' canonicalFields fieldNamed:ifAbsent:...etc...
subclasses: nil
name: #MailMessage
classPool: nil
sharedPools: nil
environment: Smalltalk
category: #''Network-Url''

[] in Debugger>>mailOutBugReport
Receiver: a Debugger
Arguments and temporary variables:
messageStrm: a WriteStream
Receiver''s instance variables:
dependents: nil
contents: a Text for ''processEvents
"Process user input events from the local ...etc...
currentCompiledMethod: nil
contentsSymbol: #source
multiWindowState: nil
interruptedProcess: nil
interruptedController: nil
contextStack: nil
contextStackIndex: 5
contextStackList: an OrderedCollection(''EventSensor>>processEvent:'' ''EventSenso...etc...
receiverInspector: nil
contextVariablesInspector: nil
externalInterrupt: true
proceedValue: nil
selectingPC: true
savedCursor: ((CursorWithMask
extent: 16@16
depth: 1
fromArray: #(
2r0
2...etc...
isolationHead: nil
failedProject: nil
errorWasInUIProcess: true
labelString: nil
message: nil
untilExpression: nil

BlockClosure>>ensure:
Receiver: [closure] in Debugger>>mailOutBugReport
Arguments and temporary variables:
aBlock: [closure] in CursorWithMask(Cursor)>>showWhile:
complete: nil
returnValue: nil
Receiver''s instance variables:
outerContext: Debugger>>mailOutBugReport
startpc: 237
numArgs: 0

CursorWithMask(Cursor)>>showWhile:
Receiver: ((CursorWithMask
extent: 16@16
depth: 1
fromArray: #(
2r0
2r11000000000000000000
...etc...
Arguments and temporary variables:
aBlock: [closure] in Debugger>>mailOutBugReport
oldcursor: ((CursorWithMask
extent: 16@16
depth: 1
fromArray: #(
2r0
2r1...etc...
Receiver''s instance variables:
bits: a Bitmap of length 16
width: 16
height: 16
depth: 1
offset: -1@ -1
maskForm: Form(16x16x1)

[...]

[] in MenuItemMorph>>invokeWithEvent:
Receiver: a MenuItemMorph(1176928)''mail out bug report''
Arguments and temporary variables:
<<error during printing>
Receiver''s instance variables:
bounds: 2158@1055 corner: 2300@1069
owner: a MenuMorph(4147752)
submorphs: #()
fullBounds: 2158@1055 corner: 2300@1069
color: Color black
extension: a MorphExtension (168638) [other:  (layoutProperties -> a LayoutProp...etc...
font: a StrikeFont(Bitmap DejaVu Sans 9 14)
emphasis: 0
contents: ''mail out b...etc...
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: how to get the stack from the debugger?

Tim Johnson-2
Hi Chris,

On Apr 17, 2018, at 1:36 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

> Sorry if this belongs on the beginners list...   what is the best way
> to get a textual copy of the stack from the Debugger window?
>
> I used to use "mail out bug report", which annoyed me with interim
> prompts but otherwise allowed me to copy the stack text.
>
> But that's broken in trunk right now, so I'm finding no easy way to
> get a text-representation of stack I have here in this debugger
> window.  Someone help me out..

An alternative method...

menu-click the list and choose "fullStack (f)"
meta-click twice in the list so you've got halos over PluggableListMorphPlus
red-halo (menu) -> copy & print... -> copy text   (or copy to paste buffer, I suppose)

...voila, full stack on your clipboard.

Cheers,
Tim

Re: how to get the stack from the debugger?

marcel.taeumel

Am 18.04.2018 04:23:06 schrieb Tm Jhnsn <[hidden email]>:

Hi Chris,

On Apr 17, 2018, at 1:36 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

> Sorry if this belongs on the beginners list... what is the best way
> to get a textual copy of the stack from the Debugger window?
>
> I used to use "mail out bug report", which annoyed me with interim
> prompts but otherwise allowed me to copy the stack text.
>
> But that's broken in trunk right now, so I'm finding no easy way to
> get a text-representation of stack I have here in this debugger
> window. Someone help me out..

An alternative method...

menu-click the list and choose "fullStack (f)"
meta-click twice in the list so you've got halos over PluggableListMorphPlus
red-halo (menu) -> copy & print... -> copy text (or copy to paste buffer, I suppose)

...voila, full stack on your clipboard.

Cheers,
Tim

Re: how to get the stack from the debugger?

Chris Muller-3
Ha!  I love that widget power!   :)
This is my new way over mail out bug report.

Thank you.