"image format not recognized"

haggai

In croquet-collaborative - On Windows, loading an image to the kat demo is just
superb! but When I try to load a video, I get this error:
"image format not recognized"

I tried various mpeg formats, quicktime, wmv

anyone had better luck?

Re: "image format not recognized"

Joshua Gargus-2
The video support is very limited.  It is based on LibMPEG, which
decodes MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video, and MP3 audio.  Furthermore, it
won't decode MPEG video that is in a container format like AVI,
Quicktime, or Ogg.

Josh

On Feb 18, 2007, at 12:47 PM, haggai wrote:

> In croquet-collaborative - On Windows, loading an image to the kat
> demo is just
> superb! but When I try to load a video, I get this error:
> "image format not recognized"
>
> I tried various mpeg formats, quicktime, wmv
>
> anyone had better luck?

Re:

haggai

In that case, if .mov .mpg .wmv .avi won't work, what would be an acceptable
file format extension? Can I convert to it somehow?
I found a korean KMPlayer that suppose to be able and handle this codec but I
am not clear on what files I need. Or is there a sample movie file I can find
somewhere?

(also, The collaborative intro is saying that it should be possible...)

Re:

Howard Stearns
KMedia class>>mediaClassFor: hardcodes three extensions to use for
KMPEGMovie: .mp3, .mpeg, and .mpg.  That's crummy coding in several
ways:
   - Separate people wanting to expand this list will have changes
that overwrite each other.
   - We ought to look at the file itself, not the extension.
   - We're treating mpeg 3 and mpeg 1 as the same format as far as
Croquet is concerned and letting the player sort it out.

The KMPEGMovie class itself is an example of a Croquet wrapper that
Josh wrote for ONE particular mechanism - John McIntosh's MPEGPlayer.
It would be nice to support more formats, maybe using this as a
model. John's been doing some Quicktime work for Sophie that would be
fun to have...  Part of the magic that Josh did in the wrapper is to
be able to cache media independently of any island, and share it
between islands.  I would encourage anyone writing new code to do the
same.

Another option is to convert the media BEFORE it ever gets to Croquet
or Squeak. I once spent a day finding open source programs that would
convert from one format to another given the codecs, and a separate
black market in codecs. But now I can't seem to find it on my disk.
Maybe the thought police came and cleaned up...

I didn't follow what you mean by "sample movie file" and "saying that
it should be possible."  But the world with the big movie ticket on
the portal cover contains a number of .mpeg format movies that were
just dragged into the Collaborative from my desktop.  We don't
directly distribute the original movie .mpeg files because the whole
point is that you shouldn't need to have the media on your computer
before playing the media in a world. (At one point, there was an MPEG
demo in Croquet that wasn't really collaborative -- each participant
had to separately arrange to have the media in the right place on
their hard disk. I don't know if that's been fixed.)  However, when
you play a movie in the KAT demo, it does put the media in your cache
so that you don't have to wait for it the next time you want to play
it.  Let's say you play the short movie with a picture of some grey
shorts on the cover. If you explore that player (cmd/alt-click on it,
and select Explore), you can drill down to myValue>player>movie>sha
and see that the secure hash is RTKA4R... etc. If you look in your
Croquet cache directory, you'll see a file there with that name.  You
can rename a copy of that file to sample.mpeg and you'll see that it
is a normal MPEG file.  (By the way, other files in the cache are
normal .jpeg, .pnp, etc.)

On Feb 18, 2007, at 3:55 PM, haggai wrote:

> In that case, if .mov .mpg .wmv .avi won't work, what would be an
> acceptable
> file format extension? Can I convert to it somehow?
> I found a korean KMPlayer that suppose to be able and handle this
> codec but I
> am not clear on what files I need. Or is there a sample movie file
> I can find
> somewhere?
>
> (also, The collaborative intro is saying that it should be
> possible...)

Re:

haggai
Aha, I see... I will have to try that when I get a connection again to CC.

Yes it would be great to handle the dominant format and have it 'transparent'
as much as possible.

I just meant:
 "...and try dragging pictures, and mpeg sounds/movies from your operating
system desktop into Croquet..."
led me to think i could possibly drag any movie file, (which would be nice) and
I was trying it in "Embedded App"

Thank you!

Re:

Karl-19
Howard Stearns skrev:

> KMedia class>>mediaClassFor: hardcodes three extensions to use for
> KMPEGMovie: .mp3, .mpeg, and .mpg.  That's crummy coding in several ways:
>   - Separate people wanting to expand this list will have changes that
> overwrite each other.
>   - We ought to look at the file itself, not the extension.
>   - We're treating mpeg 3 and mpeg 1 as the same format as far as
> Croquet is concerned and letting the player sort it out.
>
> The KMPEGMovie class itself is an example of a Croquet wrapper that
> Josh wrote for ONE particular mechanism - John McIntosh's MPEGPlayer.
> It would be nice to support more formats, maybe using this as a model.
> John's been doing some Quicktime work for Sophie that would be fun to
> have...  Part of the magic that Josh did in the wrapper is to be able
> to cache media independently of any island, and share it between
> islands.  I would encourage anyone writing new code to do the same.
>
> Another option is to convert the media BEFORE it ever gets to Croquet
> or Squeak. I once spent a day finding open source programs that would
> convert from one format to another given the codecs, and a separate
> black market in codecs. But now I can't seem to find it on my disk.
> Maybe the thought police came and cleaned up...
There is a internal Squeak jpeg movie format with the extension .jmv
that you can create from the Squeak movie player. Click on the menu
button and select the advanced option and you can choose to convert a
mpeg, a Squeak movie(a legacy format) or a folder full of numbered
frames to a jpeg movie. These films are cross platform, but suffers in
size because of the way the compression works.
karl

karl skrev:

> Howard Stearns skrev:
>> KMedia class>>mediaClassFor: hardcodes three extensions to use for
>> KMPEGMovie: .mp3, .mpeg, and .mpg.  That's crummy coding in several
>> ways:
>>   - Separate people wanting to expand this list will have changes
>> that overwrite each other.
>>   - We ought to look at the file itself, not the extension.
>>   - We're treating mpeg 3 and mpeg 1 as the same format as far as
>> Croquet is concerned and letting the player sort it out.
>>
>> The KMPEGMovie class itself is an example of a Croquet wrapper that
>> Josh wrote for ONE particular mechanism - John McIntosh's MPEGPlayer.
>> It would be nice to support more formats, maybe using this as a
>> model. John's been doing some Quicktime work for Sophie that would be
>> fun to have...  Part of the magic that Josh did in the wrapper is to
>> be able to cache media independently of any island, and share it
>> between islands.  I would encourage anyone writing new code to do the
>> same.
>>
>> Another option is to convert the media BEFORE it ever gets to Croquet
>> or Squeak. I once spent a day finding open source programs that would
>> convert from one format to another given the codecs, and a separate
>> black market in codecs. But now I can't seem to find it on my disk.
>> Maybe the thought police came and cleaned up...
> There is a internal Squeak jpeg movie format with the extension .jmv
> that you can create from the Squeak movie player. Click on the menu
> button and select the advanced option and you can choose to convert a
> mpeg, a Squeak movie(a legacy format) or a folder full of numbered
> frames to a jpeg movie. These films are cross platform, but suffers in
> size because of the way the compression works.
> karl
And I teste it and found that JPEGMovieFile was broken... Here is a fix.
Karl

'From Croquet1.0beta of 11 April 2006 [latest update: #2] on 19 February 2007 at 1:39:17 am'!

!JPEGMovieFile methodsFor: 'file ops' stamp: 'kfr 2/19/2007 01:37'!
isBufferBased
        ^false! !

Re: "image format not recognized"

haggai

here is some feedback on testing uploading movies/images feature -

       EmbededApp   MPEGDemo     KAT

Images   OK      OK      OK
(jpg)

Movies
("CASTLE") NO      NO      OK
other mpg  NO      NO      NO

(so currently I could only upload the CASTLE clip from the content directory to
KAT)

hope this helps.

Re: "image format not recognized"

Howard Stearns
Right. The MPEG stuff I described is only in KAT, not any of the other demos.

KAT should handle .mp3, .mpeg, and .mpg, and has done so for the five mpeg and
four mp3 in the cineplex and drumkit worlds. Can you pst a URL to a mpeg file
that didn't work for you? (Don't send the file!) Maybe it's mpeg-4 (which I
don't think we handle)?

haggai wrote:

> here is some feedback on testing uploading movies/images feature -
>
>        EmbededApp   MPEGDemo     KAT
>
> Images   OK      OK      OK
> (jpg)
>
> Movies
> ("CASTLE") NO      NO      OK
> other mpg  NO      NO      NO
>

> (so currently I could only upload the CASTLE clip from the content directory to
> KAT)
>

> hope this helps.

Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Division of Information Technology
mailto:[hidden email]
jabber:[hidden email]
voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re:

haggai
how about this:

http://home.in.tum.de/~paula/mpeg/index.html

I tried the first one (Grommit) it downloads as mpeg-1.