image overload

Torsten Bergmann
I like the term "Dynamic Object system" since Smalltalk is more
than just the language.

But Dynamic Object System/Storage would lead to "DOS" which
is mostly negative in IT (Disk Operating System from M$
and Denial of Service ...)

Maybe DOP - "Dynamic Object Pool" ...

Bye
T.

Re: image overload

Nicolas Cellier
2010/3/12 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>:

> I like the term "Dynamic Object system" since Smalltalk is more
> than just the language.
>
> But Dynamic Object System/Storage would lead to "DOS" which
> is mostly negative in IT (Disk Operating System from M$
> and Denial of Service ...)
>
> Maybe DOP - "Dynamic Object Pool" ...
>
> Bye
> T.

Well, the snapshot is just a Frozen System State. You need to warm it
up to let Dynamic Objects live again.

Nicolas

Re: image overload

Bert Freudenberg
On 12.03.2010, at 20:58, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> 2010/3/12 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>:
>> I like the term "Dynamic Object system" since Smalltalk is more
>> than just the language.
>>
>> But Dynamic Object System/Storage would lead to "DOS" which
>> is mostly negative in IT (Disk Operating System from M$
>> and Denial of Service ...)
>>
>> Maybe DOP - "Dynamic Object Pool" ...
>>
>> Bye
>> T.
>>

> Well, the snapshot is just a Frozen System State. You need to warm it
> up to let Dynamic Objects live again.
>
> Nicolas

Now that's an idea. Is the .cryo extension taken? Though it looks like someone dropped a "pt" ...

- Bert -

Re: image overload

Travis Griggs-4

On Mar 12, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> 2010/3/12 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>:
>> I like the term "Dynamic Object system" since Smalltalk is more
>> than just the language.
>>
>> But Dynamic Object System/Storage would lead to "DOS" which
>> is mostly negative in IT (Disk Operating System from M$
>> and Denial of Service ...)
>>
>> Maybe DOP - "Dynamic Object Pool" ...
>>
>> Bye
>> T.
>>

> Well, the snapshot is just a Frozen System State. You need to warm it
> up to let Dynamic Objects live again.

I like Terry's ObjectSoup. In addition to freezing/thawing metaphors,
one that I had thrown at me about a year back, is the term pickling.
Supposedly (according to our resident Archeosmalltalker Steve Dahl),
back in the day, there was always talk about how to properly "pickle"
things across saves. So we could say we "pickle our objects", and
everyone knows pickles go in jars. There ya have it, it let's call 'em
jar files. :D

Other than that, I vote for referring to the image as the petri dish.
Or culture. Overloading culture would lead to all kinds of interesting
discussions.

"So, how's your culture?" "Oh, man, my culture's all messed up. I had
to restart my culture." Culture even works at some broader sense,
since cultures all about Behaviors, and that's what Smalltalk is all
about as well.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: image overload

Casey Ransberger
OMG. Okay, the yogurt thing takes the cake.

While we're having a spot of fun, I'd say: until we have better ways
of moving objects between images and architectures, we might as well
call the thing Hotel California:)

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

--
Casey Ransberger