improving the quality of the image

12

improving the quality of the image

Ralph Johnson
One of my goals for 3.10 is to improve the quality of the image.  Our
first release (coming soon!) will have only green tests, and each
following release will have only green tests.  But there are many
other things that could be checked automatically.  For example, there
should be no unimplemented methods in the released image.
Unfortunately, there are a lot right now, so we can't make that rule.
But I would like to have all these fixed by the end of the 3.10 cycle
and to be able to enforce the rule that no release has any
unimplemented methods.

Jerome Peace has been working on getting rid of unimplemented methods
and has a lot of fixes.  You can find them at
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4544   This is the original Mantis
issue that he has been working on.  Most of the fixes are in "child"
issues, but you can find them from that page.

You can help by checking Jerome's fixes.  If you are familiar with the
code he is changing, read it and see whether you can spot anything
wrong.  If you can, post a note.  If you can't, please post a note
that, as far as you can tell, it looks good.  If you aren't that
familiar with the code, but are working on an application that uses
it, please file in the changes and try out your application.  Again,
report on the results!

If two or three people try out some changes and everybody thinks they
are OK, the release team will mark the issue as "resolved" and put it
in the next release.

We will make sure the code doesn't break any tests.  But if you don't
try out the code then we'll have to try it, as well, and that will
take a lot more time.  So, you can help us get more work done by
checking out these fixes.

Thanks!

-Ralph Johnson

Re: improving the quality of the image

Edgar J. De Cleene
El 1/26/07 10:10 AM, "Ralph Johnson" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Jerome Peace has been working on getting rid of unimplemented methods
> and has a lot of fixes.  You can find them at
> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4544   This is the original Mantis
> issue that he has been working on.  Most of the fixes are in "child"
> issues, but you can find them from that page.
>
> You can help by checking Jerome's fixes.  If you are familiar with the
> code he is changing, read it and see whether you can spot anything
> wrong.  If you can, post a note.  If you can't, please post a note
> that, as far as you can tell, it looks good.  If you aren't that
> familiar with the code, but are working on an application that uses
> it, please file in the changes and try out your application.  Again,
> report on the results!

I have to look again, but what I when discuss the subject with Jerome,
works.

Pavel have  few unimplemented in his Kernel, but I don't have his code.

Maybe all Pavel and Jerome work about unimplemented could give a cleaner
image.

Edgar

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Re: improving the quality of the image

Philippe Marschall
2007/1/26, Ralph Johnson <[hidden email]>:
> One of my goals for 3.10 is to improve the quality of the image.  Our
> first release (coming soon!) will have only green tests, and each
> following release will have only green tests.

How does removing failing tests improve the quality?

Cheers
Philippe

> But there are many
> other things that could be checked automatically.  For example, there
> should be no unimplemented methods in the released image.
> Unfortunately, there are a lot right now, so we can't make that rule.
> But I would like to have all these fixed by the end of the 3.10 cycle
> and to be able to enforce the rule that no release has any
> unimplemented methods.
>
> Jerome Peace has been working on getting rid of unimplemented methods
> and has a lot of fixes.  You can find them at
> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4544   This is the original Mantis
> issue that he has been working on.  Most of the fixes are in "child"
> issues, but you can find them from that page.
>
> You can help by checking Jerome's fixes.  If you are familiar with the
> code he is changing, read it and see whether you can spot anything
> wrong.  If you can, post a note.  If you can't, please post a note
> that, as far as you can tell, it looks good.  If you aren't that
> familiar with the code, but are working on an application that uses
> it, please file in the changes and try out your application.  Again,
> report on the results!
>
> If two or three people try out some changes and everybody thinks they
> are OK, the release team will mark the issue as "resolved" and put it
> in the next release.
>
> We will make sure the code doesn't break any tests.  But if you don't
> try out the code then we'll have to try it, as well, and that will
> take a lot more time.  So, you can help us get more work done by
> checking out these fixes.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ralph Johnson

Re: improving the quality of the image

Bert Freudenberg

On Jan 26, 2007, at 16:03 , Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2007/1/26, Ralph Johnson <[hidden email]>:
>> One of my goals for 3.10 is to improve the quality of the image.  Our
>> first release (coming soon!) will have only green tests, and each
>> following release will have only green tests.
>
> How does removing failing tests improve the quality?

Woa, where does that hostility come from? There is another way to
ensure all tests are green, besides removing the failing ones.

- Bert -

>> But there are many
>> other things that could be checked automatically.  For example, there
>> should be no unimplemented methods in the released image.
>> Unfortunately, there are a lot right now, so we can't make that rule.
>> But I would like to have all these fixed by the end of the 3.10 cycle
>> and to be able to enforce the rule that no release has any
>> unimplemented methods.
>>
>> Jerome Peace has been working on getting rid of unimplemented methods
>> and has a lot of fixes.  You can find them at
>> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4544   This is the original Mantis
>> issue that he has been working on.  Most of the fixes are in "child"
>> issues, but you can find them from that page.
>>
>> You can help by checking Jerome's fixes.  If you are familiar with
>> the
>> code he is changing, read it and see whether you can spot anything
>> wrong.  If you can, post a note.  If you can't, please post a note
>> that, as far as you can tell, it looks good.  If you aren't that
>> familiar with the code, but are working on an application that uses
>> it, please file in the changes and try out your application.  Again,
>> report on the results!
>>
>> If two or three people try out some changes and everybody thinks they
>> are OK, the release team will mark the issue as "resolved" and put it
>> in the next release.
>>
>> We will make sure the code doesn't break any tests.  But if you don't
>> try out the code then we'll have to try it, as well, and that will
>> take a lot more time.  So, you can help us get more work done by
>> checking out these fixes.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Ralph Johnson

Re: improving the quality of the image

Ralph Johnson
Some of the bugs got fixed, some of the tests were wrong and got
deleted, and the rest of the tests got moved to a to-do list.

It is important that people be able to run the tests to see if they
broke anything.  This cannot happen if tests that are known to fail
are mixed with tests that are supposed to succeed.

Perhaps you have never worked on a project in which all tests worked
all the time.  This is an important tool in achieving high quality
software.

-Ralph Johnson

2007/1/26, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> On Jan 26, 2007, at 16:03 , Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
> > 2007/1/26, Ralph Johnson <[hidden email]>:
> >> One of my goals for 3.10 is to improve the quality of the image.  Our
> >> first release (coming soon!) will have only green tests, and each
> >> following release will have only green tests.
> >
> > How does removing failing tests improve the quality?
>
> Woa, where does that hostility come from? There is another way to
> ensure all tests are green, besides removing the failing ones.

What hostility? I could not see why this improves the quality because
to me the first step to fix a problem is to admit that you have a
problem. Failing tests are pointer to problems for me. Removing
failing tests because they can not be fixed today or tomorrow looked
to me like an attempt to hide hide a problem. So I asked and now I
know the reason why it was done.

Philippe

> >> But there are many
> >> other things that could be checked automatically.  For example, there
> >> should be no unimplemented methods in the released image.
> >> Unfortunately, there are a lot right now, so we can't make that rule.
> >> But I would like to have all these fixed by the end of the 3.10 cycle
> >> and to be able to enforce the rule that no release has any
> >> unimplemented methods.
> >>
> >> Jerome Peace has been working on getting rid of unimplemented methods
> >> and has a lot of fixes.  You can find them at
> >> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4544   This is the original Mantis
> >> issue that he has been working on.  Most of the fixes are in "child"
> >> issues, but you can find them from that page.
> >>
> >> You can help by checking Jerome's fixes.  If you are familiar with
> >> the
> >> code he is changing, read it and see whether you can spot anything
> >> wrong.  If you can, post a note.  If you can't, please post a note
> >> that, as far as you can tell, it looks good.  If you aren't that
> >> familiar with the code, but are working on an application that uses
> >> it, please file in the changes and try out your application.  Again,
> >> report on the results!
> >>
> >> If two or three people try out some changes and everybody thinks they
> >> are OK, the release team will mark the issue as "resolved" and put it
> >> in the next release.
> >>
> >> We will make sure the code doesn't break any tests.  But if you don't
> >> try out the code then we'll have to try it, as well, and that will
> >> take a lot more time.  So, you can help us get more work done by
> >> checking out these fixes.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> -Ralph Johnson

Re: improving the quality of the image

Elod Kironsky
Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2007/1/26, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

>> > How does removing failing tests improve the quality?
>>
>> Woa, where does that hostility come from? There is another way to
>> ensure all tests are green, besides removing the failing ones.
>
> What hostility? I could not see why this improves the quality because
> to me the first step to fix a problem is to admit that you have a
> problem. Failing tests are pointer to problems for me. Removing
> failing tests because they can not be fixed today or tomorrow looked
> to me like an attempt to hide hide a problem. So I asked and now I
> know the reason why it was done.
>
> Philippe

Philippe, where did you read that failing tests will be removed? "First
release will have
only green tests" means, that all tests remain and will pass, not fail.
There will be no
test removal at all! I'm, pretty sure you misunderstood something.

Elod

Re: improving the quality of the image

Göran Krampe
Hi folks!

> Philippe Marschall wrote:

>>> Our

>>> Woa, where does that hostility come from? There is another way to
>>> ensure all tests are green, besides removing the failing ones.

etc etc.

Ok, IMHO this is all about classification of tests. Perhaps someone has
already proposed the following but how about:

- If there is a bug and someone authors a test to show it and it enters
the image (lets ignore *that* particular question for 3 seconds - many of
course argue that it should not enter the image unless accompanied with a
fix), why not mark it as "has never worked" - or something along those
lines?

That way we can keep all *working* (not marked) tests green and at the
same time have a list of non working tests (those marked) that typically
are all red. When something is fixed and turned green we remove the
marker.

Sure, this may be a daft idea :), just wanted to mention it.

regards, Göran

2007/1/29, Elod Kironsky <[hidden email]>:

> Philippe Marschall wrote:

> >> Woa, where does that hostility come from? There is another way to
> >> ensure all tests are green, besides removing the failing ones.
> >
> > What hostility? I could not see why this improves the quality because
> > to me the first step to fix a problem is to admit that you have a
> > problem. Failing tests are pointer to problems for me. Removing
> > failing tests because they can not be fixed today or tomorrow looked
> > to me like an attempt to hide hide a problem. So I asked and now I
> > know the reason why it was done.
> >
> > Philippe
> >
> Philippe, where did you read that failing tests will be removed? "First
> release will have
> only green tests" means, that all tests remain and will pass, not fail.
> There will be no
> test removal at all! I'm, pretty sure you misunderstood something.

http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5527

Philippe

Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2007/1/29, Elod Kironsky <[hidden email]>:
>> Philippe Marschall wrote:

>> image.  Our

>> > What hostility? I could not see why this improves the quality because
>> > to me the first step to fix a problem is to admit that you have a
>> > problem. Failing tests are pointer to problems for me. Removing
>> > failing tests because they can not be fixed today or tomorrow looked
>> > to me like an attempt to hide hide a problem. So I asked and now I
>> > know the reason why it was done.
>> >
>> > Philippe
>> >
>> Philippe, where did you read that failing tests will be removed? "First
>> release will have
>> only green tests" means, that all tests remain and will pass, not fail.
>> There will be no
>> test removal at all! I'm, pretty sure you misunderstood something.
>
> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5527
>
> Philippe

Sorry Philippe, then I have to agree with you and join to Goran's
proposition
to classify the test, removing them is not a good solution I think.

Elod

Re: improving the quality of the image

Ralph Johnson
Failing tests do not belong in the image.  They belong in Mantis.  If
you have a test that ought to run but does not then post it to Mantis.

We should not release an image with failing tests.  In general, the
3.10 release team will not accept changes that break tests.  If the
image contains failing tests then it is hard for people to tell that
their proposed changed breaks them.  It is crucial that there be NO
failing tests in the image so that anyone can easily check whether
their change caused any of the tests to fail.  Go to the test runner,
select all tests, run them, and make sure everything is green.

There is no need to make some new way of classifying tests.  The way
we classify tests is that tests that do not work are in Mantis as bug
reports.  If you want to work on them then you can easily file them
in.

-Ralph Johnson

Re: improving the quality of the image

Brad Fuller-3
Ralph Johnson wrote:

> Failing tests do not belong in the image.  They belong in Mantis.  If
> you have a test that ought to run but does not then post it to Mantis.
>
> We should not release an image with failing tests.  In general, the
> 3.10 release team will not accept changes that break tests.  If the
> image contains failing tests then it is hard for people to tell that
> their proposed changed breaks them.  It is crucial that there be NO
> failing tests in the image so that anyone can easily check whether
> their change caused any of the tests to fail.  Go to the test runner,
> select all tests, run them, and make sure everything is green.
>
> There is no need to make some new way of classifying tests.  The way
> we classify tests is that tests that do not work are in Mantis as bug
> reports.  If you want to work on them then you can easily file them
> in.

Is there not a difference between an image under development and a
released image? I think so. A released image should not have failing
tests but it should also not contain the code that the test failed on.
So, defect #5527 should read:

"Some of the tests in the final released 3.9 image fail. You should be
able to run all tests in a *RELEASED* image and get a green bar in the
TestRunner."

Also, what do you mean by this:

"... and I deleted some of them and moved the rest of them to subclasses
in a category FailingTests, which I then deleted. I have attached a
change file that makes all the tests green in the final released image."

Did you delete the tests AND the code that it tests? Just removing the
tests doesn't really help much if the code that it tests is still there.
I'm sure you agree with this, so that is why I'm a bit stumped.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: improving the quality of the image

Ralph Johnson
> Did you delete the tests AND the code that it tests? Just removing the
> tests doesn't really help much if the code that it tests is still there.
> I'm sure you agree with this, so that is why I'm a bit stumped.

You completely miss the point.  Leaving broken tests in the image does
not cause the tests to be fixed.  Broken tests have been in the image
for years and they did not help.

There are a lot of bugs in Squeak.  Squeak is, in general, of
"experimental" quality.  It is amazing to me that people actually
develop commercial products with it, but they do.  I would like to
raise the quality of Squeak.  Part of this is making sure that there
is a regression test suite that actually works, and preventing people
from breaking it.  There are lots of other parts, of course.  The
image should be smaller, it should have more tests, more bugs should
be fixed, there should not be any unimplemented messages.  No one
thing will improve quality, but a lot of little things will.

In general, it is not easy to find the code that a test exercises.
What you are asking does not  make sense.

Please run the tests in 3.9, look at the ones that are broken, and try
to figure out what code is bad and should be deleted.  It will be an
enlightening experience.

-Ralph Johnson

Ralph Johnson wrote:

>> Did you delete the tests AND the code that it tests? Just removing the
>> tests doesn't really help much if the code that it tests is still there.
>> I'm sure you agree with this, so that is why I'm a bit stumped.
>
> You completely miss the point.  Leaving broken tests in the image does
> not cause the tests to be fixed.  Broken tests have been in the image
> for years and they did not help.
>
> There are a lot of bugs in Squeak.  Squeak is, in general, of
> "experimental" quality.  It is amazing to me that people actually
> develop commercial products with it, but they do.  I would like to
> raise the quality of Squeak.  Part of this is making sure that there
> is a regression test suite that actually works, and preventing people
> from breaking it.  There are lots of other parts, of course.  The
> image should be smaller, it should have more tests, more bugs should
> be fixed, there should not be any unimplemented messages.  No one
> thing will improve quality, but a lot of little things will.
>
> In general, it is not easy to find the code that a test exercises.
> What you are asking does not  make sense.
>
> Please run the tests in 3.9, look at the ones that are broken, and try
> to figure out what code is bad and should be deleted.  It will be an
> enlightening experience.

I agree with you that there are a lot of bugs in squeak and they should
be fixed. I'm not suggesting that they should be left! I am thankful
that you want to raise the quality of squeak, I'm sure everyone does.
But, you are taking an active role. Thanks.

Forgive me for missing your point and please bare with me while I ask
another question. There's a difference between tests broken and the code
broken. You said:

"Leaving broken tests in the image does not cause the tests to be fixed.
 Broken tests have been in the image for years and they did not help."

So, you are only talking about removing tests that don't work correctly?
Not tests that work correctly and fail because the code is buggy.

Ok, that makes sense.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: improving the quality of the image

Ralph Johnson
> So, you are only talking about removing tests that don't work correctly?
> Not tests that work correctly and fail because the code is buggy.

If we know that a test is improper then we just delete it.  We did
some of that.  If we know how to fix it then we fix it.  We did a
little of that.  Sometimes it is not clear whether a test is correct.
Sometimes we know there is a bug but we don't know how to fix it.  In
both of those cases, we moved the tests to Mantis.

Moving a test out of the image does not mean it has gone forever.  A
test that fails is a bug, either a test that shows a bug in the code
or a buggy test.  Bug reports are supposed to be in Mantis.  The tests
in the image should all work so we can tell that if we run them after
we make a change and some of them fail then we made a mistake.

-Ralph

Re: improving the quality of the image

keith1y
Dear Goran,

I am with you on this one. Having broken tests visible, but correctly
categorised is key to getting things sorted IMHO. I dont think that
hiding things away on mantis is not visible enough.

You might like to try my improvements to TestRunner and SUnit which
implement these changes. You can try it by executing.

Installer fixBug: 5639.

best regards

Keith

> Ok, IMHO this is all about classification of tests. Perhaps someone has
> already proposed the following but how about:
>
> - If there is a bug and someone authors a test to show it and it enters
> the image (lets ignore *that* particular question for 3 seconds - many of
> course argue that it should not enter the image unless accompanied with a
> fix), why not mark it as "has never worked" - or something along those
> lines?
>
> That way we can keep all *working* (not marked) tests green and at the
> same time have a list of non working tests (those marked) that typically
> are all red. When something is fixed and turned green we remove the
> marker.
>
> Sure, this may be a daft idea :), just wanted to mention it.
>
> regards, Göran

Yahoo! Photos is now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo. http://uk.photos.yahoo.com

Re: improving the quality of the image

Howard Stearns
Ralph Johnson wrote:
>> ...[several excellent points]...
> There are a lot of bugs in Squeak.  Squeak is, in general, of
> "experimental" quality.  It is amazing to me that people actually
> develop commercial products with it, but they do.
> ... [more excellent points]...

Relative to what I'd like to see, there are indeed a lot of bugs in
Squeak. While I don't want to take anything away from the thrust of
Ralph's plan, I'd like the record to show that that there is not
necessarily consensus that Squeak is buggy relative to other platforms -
commercial or otherwise.

For example, I spend far too much time on the following technology stack:

          A financial application costing tens of $M
           and responsible for processing several $B each year.
       PeopleSoft
    Oracle
Windows

Relative to that, Squeak is of absolute perfect quality.

Cheers,
-Howard

Re: improving the quality of the image

Bert Freudenberg
I actually side with Ralph on this one. It is very satisfying to see
the test runner turn green. With tests in the image that you cannot
fix, you will never get this satisfaction.

You should get used to using the bug tracker. If you have a little
time to spare, go there, pick an issue that looks interesting or
easy, fix it. Or better yet, write a test for it if there is none,
run it, then fix it, and enjoy the soothing green of the test run.
It'll make you smile :)

- Bert -

Keith Hodges wrote:
> Dear Goran,
>
> I am with you on this one. Having broken tests visible, but correctly
> categorised is key to getting things sorted IMHO. I dont think that
> hiding things away on mantis is not visible enough.

Just to clarify, we will have the ability to release more than one
image, a 'refined', all tests green, and slimmed down image for public
consumption, and a 'this is what needs working on' image for  those
interested in fixing things.

Keith

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

Re[2]: improving the quality of the image

Herbert König
Hello Howard,

+1

just replace Oracle with other real big players in the software
market.

And to Ralph:
The plan that running the tests with the knowledge that *every* red is
introduced by me is very good!

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

12