install croquet on remote server

Kelly Rued-2
OK, I'm still stumped on this one. Can anyone walk me through installing croquet on a remote server using only shell access (Fedora 4).
After running croquet.sh I get the message:

could not open display '(null)'

Is this because my server doesn't have a graphics card in it? The linux docs I've found for croquet all assume you have a GUI and local access to the machine. I haven't come across anything yet that steps through remote installation on a typical LAMP server (no graphics card, monitor, etc.). I can still run croquet and the croquetcollaborative distro on my local computers but am eager to get a remote version up if possible.

Thanks,
Kelly

Re: install croquet on remote server

Bert Freudenberg
On Mar 9, 2007, at 20:40 , Kelly Rued wrote:

> OK, I'm still stumped on this one. Can anyone walk me through
> installing croquet on a remote server using only shell access
> (Fedora 4).
> After running croquet.sh I get the message:
>
> could not open display '(null)'
>
> Is this because my server doesn't have a graphics card in it? The
> linux docs I've found for croquet all assume you have a GUI and
> local access to the machine. I haven't come across anything yet
> that steps through remote installation on a typical LAMP server (no
> graphics card, monitor, etc.). I can still run croquet and the
> croquetcollaborative distro on my local computers but am eager to
> get a remote version up if possible.

What for? The default installation is not prepared for headless
operation.

- Bert -

RE: install croquet on remote server

Kelly Rued-2

> What for? The default installation is not prepared for
> headless operation.
>
> - Bert -

Ok, thanks for the info. Someone at the first Intermetaverse meeting in SL
had mentioned it being possible so I gave it a shot.

In a squeak-related note, I was able to admin and modify a seaside app using
the neato web interface so I'm curious if any web-based croquet admin panel
is possible (for initial installation)? Once it was up and running, it could
then be modified by replicating from connecting spaces (since it's main
purpose is to save a master copy of changes and just be "always on" for
people coming to my space).

As for the "what for?" part, I just wanted something permanent that I can
point collaborators to (and I haven't had success getting anyone hooked up
to my local croquet space, possibly due to router issues here). More to the
point, I use my home and office PCs for too many other processor intensive
aplications. I really can't be running croquet all of the time (rendering
and compiling sucks as it is without running a p2p 3D space application at
the same time). And aside from work... There's always my MMO habits and I
like to play with my graphics settings as high as possible. ;p

So I was hoping to set up a more permanent presence via my server. Is remote
'headless' operation on the roadmap for croquet?

Related question: In SL a LOT happens on my land when I'm not even there and
people need to be able to see my content and profile (and send me
messages/interact with my space) even if my personal computer is offline
completely. How do people see "always on" activities mapping to the croquet
p2p paradigm where so many spaces may be transient in nature?

-Kelly

On Mar 9, 2007, at 21:36 , Kelly Rued wrote:

>> What for? The default installation is not prepared for
>> headless operation.
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> Ok, thanks for the info. Someone at the first Intermetaverse
> meeting in SL
> had mentioned it being possible so I gave it a shot.
> [...]
> So I was hoping to set up a more permanent presence via my server.
> Is remote
> 'headless' operation on the roadmap for croquet?

Well, I wrote it's "not prepared for", not that it is impossible. But
*you* would have to prepare an image that runs a croquet router
without user interaction, and upload this to your server. To run it
headlessly, change the launch script to use the null vm display
module instead of the X11 module.

- Bert -

Re: install croquet on remote server

Eugen Leitl
On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:57:31PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> >Ok, thanks for the info. Someone at the first Intermetaverse
> >meeting in SL
> >had mentioned it being possible so I gave it a shot.
> >[...]
> >So I was hoping to set up a more permanent presence via my server.
> >Is remote
> >'headless' operation on the roadmap for croquet?
>
> Well, I wrote it's "not prepared for", not that it is impossible. But
> *you* would have to prepare an image that runs a croquet router
> without user interaction, and upload this to your server. To run it
> headlessly, change the launch script to use the null vm display
> module instead of the X11 module.
http://croquet.blagblagblag.org/

FYI, this is the router.st running on croquet.blagblagblag.org (you don't need this to connect):

id := TObjectID readHexFrom: '35396f525945454344427a696f436c4c'.

dispatcher := TExampleDispatcher new.
dispatcher listenOn: 8080. "fixed port"
dispatcher autoCreate: false.

router := TSimpleRouter new.
router addUserName: 'guest' password: 'guest'.
dispatcher addRouter: router id: id.

I run it thusly:

./squeak -headless ~/croquet/Croquet_SDK_1.0_beta/foo.1.0.10.image file:///home/jebba/croquet/router.st

ICBM: 48.07100, 11.36820            http://www.ativel.com
8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A  7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE

On Mar 9, 2007, at 21:59 , Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:57:31PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>>  To run it
>> headlessly, change the launch script to use the null vm display
>> module instead of the X11 module.
>
> ./squeak -headless ~/croquet/Croquet_SDK_1.0_beta/foo.1.0.10.image
> file:///home/jebba/croquet/router.st

This still requires the X11 runtime libraries to be installed. It
loads the X11 display module, it just does not open a window. In
contrast, you can run the null display module even on a machine
without any X.

- Bert -