#installExtraPackages - fails on new install

jrm

#installExtraPackages - fails on new install

jrm
First install of Squeak on a new R.Pi. After going through the setup a window pops up and asks me if I want to install extra packages. I check them all (but 1) off but I can' save them. The Save button says "Please check your internet collection". I know I do have internet connection because I just downloaded the installation.

This is a neat feature and I would like to use it. I don't know if the problem is with me or in the stars.

I explored the morph using the halo and found the method to #installExtraPackages and ran it from  an explorer window but that killed the image w/o installing the packages.

I tried to run the method from the workplace, but that failed too.

--
John-Reed Maffeo

Re: #installExtraPackages - fails on new install

marcel.taeumel
Hi John-Reed,

hmmm... So "TestCase new ensureSecureInternetConnection" does not work in your image? Maybe SqueakSSL is not working on that R.Pi.

Best,
Marcel

Am 20.10.2020 00:49:59 schrieb John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]>:

First install of Squeak on a new R.Pi. After going through the setup a window pops up and asks me if I want to install extra packages. I check them all (but 1) off but I can' save them. The Save button says "Please check your internet collection". I know I do have internet connection because I just downloaded the installation.

This is a neat feature and I would like to use it. I don't know if the problem is with me or in the stars.

I explored the morph using the halo and found the method to #installExtraPackages and ran it from  an explorer window but that killed the image w/o installing the packages.

I tried to run the method from the workplace, but that failed too.

--
John-Reed Maffeo

Re: #installExtraPackages - fails on new install

timrowledge

> On 2020-10-21, at 8:33 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> hmmm... So "TestCase new ensureSecureInternetConnection" does not work in your image? Maybe SqueakSSL is not working on that R.Pi.

Works ok on my Pi4 so should have some chance of working on any other Pi.

tim
Strange OpCodes: IOP: Insult OPerator

Re: #installExtraPackages - fails on new install

Squeak - Dev mailing list
IIRC, I had these symptoms when SmalltalkHub.com was down.

I just checked smalltalkhub, and it is up, so retry?

---- On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 11:33:40 -0400 Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote ----

jrm

Re: #installExtraPackages - fails on new install

jrm
Runnin g on a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4

I did a new install, starting with download from www.squeak.org to verify that my internet was working.

/home/pi/Squeak/Squeak5.3/Squeak5.3-19435-32bit-202003021730-ARMv6/shared/Squeak5.3-19435-32bit.image
Squeak5.3
latest update: #19435
I went through the PreferanceWizard and got through 6 panes and selected Done.
The install pane came up and the install button said "Please check your internet connection..."

I poked around and found the method hasInternetConnection in class PreferenceWizardMorph which invokes "TestCase new ensureSecureInternetConnection". I ran that method and received "Error: primitaveSSLCreate failed". I have no idea how to debug the primitive.

I tried to update the image to see if that would help and a got a seg fault.

"Segmentation fault Mon Oct 26 09:36:22 2020

/usr/lib/squeak/5.0-201610101924/squeak
Squeak VM version: 5.0-201610101924  Wed Oct 12 14:50:05 PDT 2016 gcc 4.9.2 [Production Spur VM]
Built from: CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.1950 uuid: b4089b49-1494-49d2-8966-57cba5c92194 Oct 12 2016
With: StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.1950 uuid: b4089b49-1494-49d2-8966-57cba5c92194 Oct 12 2016
Revision: VM: 201610101924 [hidden email]:Documents/Squeak/Rasbian-VM/vm $ Date: Mon Oct 10 12:24:25 2016 -0700 $ Plugins: 201610101924 [hidden email]:Documents/Squeak/Rasbian-VM/vm $
Build host: Linux Goldskin 4.4.21-v7+ #911 SMP Thu Sep 15 14:22:38 BST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
plugin path: /usr/lib/squeak/5.0-201610101924 [default: /usr/lib/squeak/5.0-201610101924/]"

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 10:09 AM gettimothy via Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
IIRC, I had these symptoms when SmalltalkHub.com was down.

I just checked smalltalkhub, and it is up, so retry?

---- On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 11:33:40 -0400 Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Hi John-Reed,

hmmm... So "TestCase new ensureSecureInternetConnection" does not work in your image? Maybe SqueakSSL is not working on that R.Pi.

Best,
Marcel

Am 20.10.2020 00:49:59 schrieb John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]>:

First install of Squeak on a new R.Pi. After going through the setup a window pops up and asks me if I want to install extra packages. I check them all (but 1) off but I can' save them. The Save button says "Please check your internet collection". I know I do have internet connection because I just downloaded the installation.

This is a neat feature and I would like to use it. I don't know if the problem is with me or in the stars.

I explored the morph using the halo and found the method to #installExtraPackages and ran it from  an explorer window but that killed the image w/o installing the packages.

I tried to run the method from the workplace, but that failed too.

--
John-Reed Maffeo

--
John-Reed Maffeo

Re: #installExtraPackages - fails on new install

timrowledge

> On 2020-10-26, at 9:59 AM, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I tried to update the image to see if that would help and a got a seg fault.
>
> "Segmentation fault Mon Oct 26 09:36:22 2020
>
> /usr/lib/squeak/5.0-201610101924/squeak
> Squeak VM version: 5.0-201610101924  Wed Oct 12 14:50:05 PDT 2016 gcc 4.9.2 [Production Spur VM]
> Built from: CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.1950 uuid: b4089b49-1494-49d2-8966-57cba5c92194 Oct 12 2016
> With: StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.1950 uuid: b4089b49-1494-49d2-8966-57cba5c92194 Oct 12 2016
> Revision: VM: 201610101924 [hidden email]:Documents/Squeak/Rasbian-VM/vm $ Date: Mon Oct 10 12:24:25 2016 -0700 $ Plugins: 201610101924 [hidden email]:Documents/Squeak/Rasbian-VM/vm $
> Build host: Linux Goldskin 4.4.21-v7+ #911 SMP Thu Sep 15 14:22:38 BST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
> plugin path: /usr/lib/squeak/5.0-201610101924 [default: /usr/lib/squeak/5.0-201610101924/]"

OK, it looks like you somehow ended up running a *very* old VM that I built (in 2016!) for the NuScratch install in Raspbian. That might explain this.

This is actually an artefact of the completely broken way we are bundling and installing linux VM packages, exposded by the Pi having an already installed VM in the 'proper' place but the package you downloaded relying on a VM in a completely different place!

There's a bunch of different ways to fix this, many of them far more unix-expert than I can handle.  The simplest I can think of *for Raspbian* is to edit the file properties of an image file to pint to the newer vm.

Start by opening the file browser and finding an image file. Select it and r-click->Properties. In that dialog you should see (about halfway down) 'open with' and a pulldown menu. At the bottom of that should be 'Customize' - click on that.

Next comes a 'Choose Application' dialog and you could slelct from a wide variety of incorrect choices. Do not click on 'Games->Minecraft Pi' and try running Squeak in Minecraft. It only leads to Fear, and Fear leads to Eating Too Many Biscuits.

Instead, click on the 'Custom Command Line' tab. Now you see a way to enter an actual command line (duh!). I always use the 'Browse...' button to open a file finder, locate the 'Squeak' shell script and choose that. The shell script will be in some fairly deeply buried directory within the package you downloaded.

Once you have found it and selected it and clicked on the 'OK' button in the file finder the path will appear back in the 'Choose Application' dialog. Almost done!

Now in that 'Command line to execute:' text field, add %f at the end (with a space after the final bit of the filename!) so that the name of the image file you click on will be passed to the squeak shell script. I always put sometihng hopefully helpful in the 'Application name' text field as well. Finally, click on the OK button.

One last step I almost always have to do is to to set the permissions of the image file(s) to have 'nobody' for the 'Execute:' permission. No idea why.

With all that done, you should find that a d-click on the image file will run the latest VM for you.

Like I said, broken.

tim
Programming is an art form that fights back.

jrm

Re: #installExtraPackages - fails on new install

jrm
Tim,
Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I will give it a try.

My OS skills on any platform are pretty basic so it may take me some time to sort it out. I have one other application that I have to install on the pi and it is giving me fits as well.

BTW,  the phrase in your signature was most appropriate :-)

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 10:33 AM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

One last step I almost always have to do is to to set the permissions of the image file(s) to have 'nobody' for the 'Execute:' permission. No idea why.

With all that done, you should find that a d-click on the image file will run the latest VM for you.

Like I said, broken.

tim
Programming is an art form that fights back.

--
John-Reed Maffeo

Re: #installExtraPackages - fails on new install

timrowledge

> On 2020-10-27, at 9:02 AM, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tim,
> Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I will give it a try.

I hope it works ok - let me know if anytihng doesn't work out. One of the problems of trying to explain sometihng  'old news' to someone for whom it is 'new news' is forgetting sometihng important that just doesn't stand out any more.

> My OS skills on any platform are pretty basic so it may take me some time to sort it out. I have one other application that I have to install on the pi and it is giving me fits as well.
>
> BTW,  the phrase in your signature was most appropriate :-)

 They almost always are. It's supposedly random but I reckon I have an instance of WinterMute running in my system somewhere.

tim
Useful random insult:- If brains were taxed, he'd get a rebate.