isThisEverCalled (was: RC-3 ready)

Chris Muller-3
Hi Stef, I tried dragging method to another category it both a
HierarchyBrowser and a SystemBrowser but could not seem to reproduce
that.  Which method did you move and what type of browser?

> Could we remove all #isThisEverCalled sends from the release image ? Because
> I don't think it's the responsibility of the end user to help developers
> know what should be deprecated. Especially by raising a debugger at their
> face...

Yesterday in the board meeting there was a question about whether
there are any "end users" who use Squeak or is it just all developers.
 Like you, I believe there are and that for Squeak to be a viable
platform for them debuggers should not be popping up.  :)

But those calls to #isThisEverCalled are put in with conservatism --
they should _not_ be getting hit and so I would really like to know
how you reached this..

Re: isThisEverCalled (was: RC-3 ready)

Stéphane Rollandin
Hi,

Actually in my own code I have a version of
TransferMorph>>justDroppedInto:event: that is adpated from an earlier
version than yours from 2010. This is because I wanted to send
#adaptToWorld: in case the transfer morph lands on the World (I have of
course implemented #adaptToWorld: in TransferMorph). I actually don't
need the call to #dropNotifyRecipient that is in that previous version,
but it was there so I left it there at the time.

So, no real problem and I did overreact a little, sorry. Just the way it
happened felt like some kind of agression.

I guess I'm too sensitive... :)

Re: isThisEverCalled (was: RC-3 ready)

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 06:03:38PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:

> Yesterday in the board meeting there was a question about whether
> there are any "end users" who use Squeak or is it just all developers.

I am an end user :)

Dave

Re: isThisEverCalled (was: RC-3 ready)

glenpaling
David T. Lewis wrote
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 06:03:38PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:

> Yesterday in the board meeting there was a question about whether
> there are any "end users" who use Squeak or is it just all developers.

I am an end user :)

Dave
Me too. I often work all day in Squeak.

Re: isThisEverCalled (was: RC-3 ready)

Colin Putney-3

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 06:03:38PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:

> Yesterday in the board meeting there was a question about whether
> there are any "end users" who use Squeak or is it just all developers.

I am an end user :)

Interesting. What do you use Squeak for?

Colin

RE: isThisEverCalled (was: RC-3 ready)

Ron Teitelbaum

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 06:03:38PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>> Yesterday in the board meeting there was a question about whether
>> there are any "end users" who use Squeak or is it just all developers.
>I am an end user :)

>Interesting. What do you use Squeak for?

>Colin

I'm an end user.

Ron Teitelbaum
www.3dicc.com

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 06:03:38PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>> Yesterday in the board meeting there was a question about whether
>> there are any "end users" who use Squeak or is it just all developers.
>I am an end user :)

>Interesting. What do you use Squeak for?

>Colin

I'm an end user.

<sigh>. What do you use Squeak for?

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:17:19PM -0500, Colin Putney wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 06:03:38PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
> > >
> > > Yesterday in the board meeting there was a question about whether
> > > there are any "end users" who use Squeak or is it just all developers.
> >
> > I am an end user :)
> >

> Interesting. What do you use Squeak for?

I use Squeak for all sorts of things that used to require applications.
Writing notes, calculating my income taxes, you name it. It took me some
time to get comfortable with Smalltalk, but I rarely open a spreadsheet any
more. It's just easier to do things in Squeak. I also use Squeak for the
fun of it. I don't watch TV or play video games, but I enjoy working on
things in Squeak just to pass the time.

I do not use Squeak for anything related to my day job, and I do not do
Squeak work for money, so I guess that too makes me a "user".

One of the things that I like about Squeak is that I do not feel like
there is a distinction between users and developers. I am a user who
figured out how to be a developer, but I prefer not to think in terms of
those categories.

Dave

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:43 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

One of the things that I like about Squeak is that I do not feel like
there is a distinction between users and developers. I am a user who
figured out how to be a developer, but I prefer not to think in terms of
those categories.

Well, sure, any categorization or generalization ends up misrepresenting the complexity and richness of reality.  But that can be useful at times!

The discussion that came up in the board meeting was around how to manage packages that aren't part of the release image. We tried to understand the role of SqueakMap in terms of several different analogies - CPAN, Ruby Gems, PyPI, Debian, HomeBrew, the App Store. That last one, the App Store, brought up the question of intended audience: the App Store was certainly a break-through for users of Apple products, but developers often need finer granularity and control than the App Store provides.

So maybe there are really two audiences for Squeak: "users," who, like you, run Squeak as a general purpose computing environment, and "developers," who use Squeak to produce more specialized artifacts.

If this is the case, we need to understand how the two groups overlap and where they differ. Perhaps Squeak needs both an App-Store-like tool *and* a CPAN-like tool, with clear distinctions about when they should be used.

Colin