[jim.p.davis@gmail.com: [Newbies] A squeak machine?]

David T. Lewis
This question was posted on the "beginners" list, but I suspect that
the inhabitants of vm-dev might be better able to provide an answer.

Dave

----- Forwarded message from Jim Davis <[hidden email]> -----

Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 01:20:23 -0700
From: "Jim Davis" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Newbies] A squeak machine?

Hi,
I'm just a post silicon test engineer for a company that is developing a
object oriented medium grain parallel processor on a chip. It's quite a bit
like a FPGA, but the chip implements ALU state machines and table lookup
logic. It has multiply / accumulate (dot product) units, datapath muxes and
lots of memory. The kicker is it's a tagged architecture, with 5 bits riding
shotgun on the 16 bits of data. That's 8 bits of tag and  2 ready bits for a
real-world 32 bit object.  I've heard talk in the office that a
harvard/princeton machine demo hack implementation would be nice, but  that
seems really 1950's .My first thought was to build a FORTH machine, or a
bunch of forth machines, But Squeak seems really attractive and it goes well
with the object oriented mindset of the company and the chip.
So? do you think I should burn a couple hundred hours of my own time trying
to cook this up?
BTW: this thing runs at 1 GHz and has 256 alu's,  64 macs,  tons of
registers and scratch and  2X266 Mhz 40 bit ddr2 dram interfaces with 256
Mwords of store..
AKA: Mr Jones.
Just how do I implement a parallel or massivly pipeline(d) squeak machine?

----- End forwarded message -----

Re: A squeak machine?

Bert Freudenberg-3
Indeed - is Jecel on this list?

- Bert -

Am 05.05.2006 um 12:54 schrieb David T. Lewis:

> This question was posted on the "beginners" list, but I suspect that
> the inhabitants of vm-dev might be better able to provide an answer.
>
> Dave
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Jim Davis <[hidden email]> -----
>
> Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 01:20:23 -0700
> From: "Jim Davis" <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Newbies] A squeak machine?
>
> Hi,
> I'm just a post silicon test engineer for a company that is
> developing a
> object oriented medium grain parallel processor on a chip. It's
> quite a bit
> like a FPGA, but the chip implements ALU state machines and table
> lookup
> logic. It has multiply / accumulate (dot product) units, datapath
> muxes and
> lots of memory. The kicker is it's a tagged architecture, with 5
> bits riding
> shotgun on the 16 bits of data. That's 8 bits of tag and  2 ready
> bits for a
> real-world 32 bit object.  I've heard talk in the office that a
> harvard/princeton machine demo hack implementation would be nice,
> but  that
> seems really 1950's .My first thought was to build a FORTH machine,
> or a
> bunch of forth machines, But Squeak seems really attractive and it
> goes well
> with the object oriented mindset of the company and the chip.
> So? do you think I should burn a couple hundred hours of my own
> time trying
> to cook this up?
> BTW: this thing runs at 1 GHz and has 256 alu's,  64 macs,  tons of
> registers and scratch and  2X266 Mhz 40 bit ddr2 dram interfaces
> with 256
> Mwords of store..
> AKA: Mr Jones.
> Just how do I implement a parallel or massivly pipeline(d) squeak
> machine?
> ----- End forwarded message -----

Re: A squeak machine?

timrowledge
Jim, if you have a standard C compiler and ansi libraries you should
be able to get a basic VM running fairly quickly. As an example, it
only took a few days to get a vm running on a custom StrongARM
machine we built at Interval Research some years ago and that
included a couple of revisions of the firmware to fix bugs.

If you don't have an ansi/C system.... well it might be a bit harder.
And making use of the unique features of the machine is definitely a
bunch more work!

If I understand you correctly, you have a 32 bit data word with an
*extra* 10 bits of tagging?  Except you mention a 40bit memory
system, so I must have missed something.

> BTW: this thing runs at 1 GHz and has 256 alu's,  64 macs,  tons of
> registers and scratch and  2X266 Mhz 40 bit ddr2 dram interfaces
> with 256
> Mwords of store..
Sound fun. Does it have a TCM? That would be nice facility.

> Just how do I implement a parallel or massivly pipeline(d) squeak
> machine?
Good question. I think the answer to that is something along the
lines of <dr.evil>One *million*euros!</dr.evil>
Or alternatively contact me directly and we might be able to arrange
something.

tim
ASCII to  ASCII, DOS to DOS.