latestVersion gets a little bit confused with nested versions

latestVersion gets a little bit confused with nested versions

Paul DeBruicker
For the updated ConfigurationOfSeaside30 another problem I'm running
into is that on Pharo

ConfigurationOfSeaside30 load

determines that the version310gemstone is the latestVersion and then
loads nothing.  On pharo the spec for #version310gemstone is empty so
the blessing is the default value of #release.  What should be the
defaultBlessing for a nested version that does not apply to the platform
of interest?  Is there a way to check whether or not a nested version is
appropriate for a platform and if not exclude it from the latestVersion
calculation?

I think the problem will go away once all the blessings for 3.1 change
from #development to #release but any time there is a new #development
version this problem may appear again.

Thanks

Paul

Re: latestVersion gets a little bit confused with nested versions

Paul DeBruicker
On 12/16/2012 10:08 AM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:

> For the updated ConfigurationOfSeaside30 another problem I'm running
> into is that on Pharo
>

> ConfigurationOfSeaside30 load
>

> determines that the version310gemstone is the latestVersion and then
> loads nothing.  On pharo the spec for #version310gemstone is empty so
> the blessing is the default value of #release.  What should be the
> defaultBlessing for a nested version that does not apply to the platform
> of interest?  Is there a way to check whether or not a nested version is
> appropriate for a platform and if not exclude it from the latestVersion
> calculation?

adding :

version spec packages list notEmpty

to the select block in latestVersion fixes my issue.

> I think the problem will go away once all the blessings for 3.1 change
> from #development to #release but any time there is a new #development
> version this problem may appear again.
>

> Thanks
>
> Paul

Re: latestVersion gets a little bit confused with nested versions

Dale Henrichs
Paul,

#latestVersion should not be used anymore.

You should be using the symbolic version #stable and control the version that gets loaded on a platform by platform basis by specifying which version is the #stable version...

Dale