learning Morphic

Mark Volkmann
My GUI programming background is mainly Java Swing. I'm trying to get
a feel for programming with Morphic. Browsing through the list of
classes, I'm not seeing lots of basic things I'd expect. Maybe Morphic
is dramatically different. I'm trying to find basic things like text
fields, checkboxes, radio buttons, push buttons, lists, tables, trees,
etc.

I've searched for Morphic tutorials. Most seem to focus on custom
graphics rather than these basic GUI widgets.

Where should I start?

---
Mark Volkmann

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: learning Morphic

Matthias Korn-4
Hi,

I am actually facing the same problem - not understanding the
differences between all the morphs and what they actually do.

Things I found most interesting so far (after asking here on the list):
- the Morphic chapter by John Maloney:
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/morphic.final.pdf
- this PluggableMorphs tutorial:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2962
- and the various GUI builders:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2914 (BobsUI)
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5607 (ToolBuilder)
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3836 (Maui)

Hope there is more, though!?

Regards,
Matthias

Am Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:59:56 -0500
schrieb Mark Volkmann <[hidden email]>:

> My GUI programming background is mainly Java Swing. I'm trying to
> get a feel for programming with Morphic. Browsing through the list
> of classes, I'm not seeing lots of basic things I'd expect. Maybe
> Morphic is dramatically different. I'm trying to find basic things
> like text fields, checkboxes, radio buttons, push buttons, lists,
> tables, trees, etc.
>
> I've searched for Morphic tutorials. Most seem to focus on custom
> graphics rather than these basic GUI widgets.
>
> Where should I start?
>
> ---
> Mark Volkmann

Re: learning Morphic

Mark Volkmann

On Oct 10, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Matthias Korn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am actually facing the same problem - not understanding the
> differences between all the morphs and what they actually do.
>
> Things I found most interesting so far (after asking here on the
> list):
> - the Morphic chapter by John Maloney:
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/morphic.final.pdf

This is interesting, but I'm amazed that in 38 pages it doesn't
provide a single example of create a text field where the user can
enter data.

> - this PluggableMorphs tutorial:
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2962

The descriptions of the demos sound good, but code is only provided
for the button demos. It's not clear how to get to other demo code.

> - and the various GUI builders:
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2914 (BobsUI)
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5607 (ToolBuilder)
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3836 (Maui)
>

> Hope there is more, though!?
>
> Regards,
> Matthias
>

> Am Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:59:56 -0500
> schrieb Mark Volkmann <[hidden email]>:
>
>> My GUI programming background is mainly Java Swing. I'm trying to
>> get a feel for programming with Morphic. Browsing through the list
>> of classes, I'm not seeing lots of basic things I'd expect. Maybe
>> Morphic is dramatically different. I'm trying to find basic things
>> like text fields, checkboxes, radio buttons, push buttons, lists,
>> tables, trees, etc.
>>
>> I've searched for Morphic tutorials. Most seem to focus on custom
>> graphics rather than these basic GUI widgets.
>>
>> Where should I start?
>>
>> ---
>> Mark Volkmann

---
Mark Volkmann

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: learning Morphic

Matthias Korn-4
Hi,

Am Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:41:22 -0500
schrieb Mark Volkmann <[hidden email]>:

[..]
> > - this PluggableMorphs tutorial:
> > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2962
>
> The descriptions of the demos sound good, but code is only provided
> for the button demos. It's not clear how to get to other demo code.

In the .pr file there is the code for all three types (Buttons,
TextBox, Lists). I guess the other PluggableMorphs are similar.

Regards,
Matthias

Re: learning Morphic

Mark Volkmann
On Oct 10, 2008, at 9:47 AM, Matthias Korn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:41:22 -0500
> schrieb Mark Volkmann <[hidden email]>:
>
> [..]
>>> - this PluggableMorphs tutorial:
>>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2962
>>
>> The descriptions of the demos sound good, but code is only provided
>> for the button demos. It's not clear how to get to other demo code.
>
> In the .pr file there is the code for all three types (Buttons,
> TextBox, Lists). I guess the other PluggableMorphs are similar.
Ah ... I didn't see that link before.
I haven't run across .pr files yet. What opens those?

---
Mark Volkmann

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: learning Morphic

Karl Ramberg
Mark Volkmann wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2008, at 9:47 AM, Matthias Korn wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:41:22 -0500
>> schrieb Mark Volkmann <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> [..]
>>>
>>> The descriptions of the demos sound good, but code is only provided
>>> for the button demos. It's not clear how to get to other demo code.
>>
>> In the .pr file there is the code for all three types (Buttons,
>> TextBox, Lists). I guess the other PluggableMorphs are similar.
>
> Ah ... I didn't see that link before.
> I haven't run across .pr files yet. What opens those?
It's a Squeak project file. Open with FileList.

Karl

Re: learning Morphic

Herbert König
Hello Mark,

MV> Ah ... I didn't see that link before.
MV> I haven't run across .pr files yet. What opens those?

well, a project. You can think of a project like a switchable Linux
Desktop. World Menu, Open, Morphic Project opens a new one.

They can be nested, jumped to and deleted. And saved to .pr files.

So if you load your pluggableDemo.pr your desktop will be replaced by
that project. You get back via World Menu, previous project.

Each project carries its own changeset which gets the current cs when you
enter that (never used cs myself).

I use Squeak Projects to work on different aspects of my Software
projects.

For example in one Project I have Browsers, Workspaces, Inspectors of
my model classes while in another Project I might have Browsers on my
database connection classes.

Switching projects is faster than opening or expanding Browser
Windows.

Herbert

Re: learning Morphic

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Mark Volkmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
My GUI programming background is mainly Java Swing. I'm trying to get a feel for programming with Morphic. Browsing through the list of classes, I'm not seeing lots of basic things I'd expect. Maybe Morphic is dramatically different. I'm trying to find basic things like text fields, checkboxes, radio buttons, push buttons, lists, tables, trees, etc.

I've searched for Morphic tutorials. Most seem to focus on custom graphics rather than these basic GUI widgets.

Where should I start?

Yea, they're... er... not there. IMHO Squeak has only rudimentary support for GUIs, despite people raving about Morphic.

I tried with Morphic and gave up. For simple stuff, it works okay. If you do more complex stuff, you end up wasting too much time making stuff work. And then when it does work, it looks like... Morphic.

I now use ToolBuilder; it should be installed in your image. It was originally written as a cross-platform base for making all the Squeak tools work on Morphic, MVC, Tweak etc, and was originally designed only to have enough functionality to make the basic Squeak tools work. There's some example code but otherwise no documentation as far as I know. If you want me to, I could write some documentation for it.

There's also wxSqueak and SqueakGTK, which use native widgets. I don't know much about them. You could also use Seaside to make web applications which look like anything else does in a web browser, but then you'll be in the unfortunate position of making a GUI using a markup language originally designed for sharing hyperlinked documents over a stateless network protocol.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re[2]: learning Morphic

Herbert König
Hello Mark,

MvdG> I've searched for Morphic tutorials. Most seem to focus
MvdG> on custom graphics rather than these basic GUI widgets.

MvdG> Where should I start?

don't know if it's a place to start but UI enhancements is a project
that focuses IMHO on crating Windows like UI#s for business apps.

When searching the links I saw it now is named Polymorph

http://www.squeaksource.com/@aob5MWusoehQm7WG/anhdA6Ah

Herbert

Re[3]: learning Morphic

Herbert König
Well,

HK> don't know if it's a place to start but UI enhancements is a project
HK> that focuses IMHO on crating Windows like UI#s for business apps.
creating that should be. At least I learned a new English word :-)

Herbert