learning in dynamic coding environment (and blender)

1 message Options

learning in dynamic coding environment (and blender)

Paul Sheldon-2
Following Americo, I set up Workspace and Transcript windows to check out using class objects messages.

Plodding through doing its seems a bit tedious when one is kept aware of where it is going "making casual games using blender".

I started to remember how newtonscript was based on smalltalk (the system programmers studied smalltalk first as a language model and then went on to define the newtonscript language). So, I am in good company because I have already studied newtonscript and gotten used to the idea of an inspector that lets you test code instantly before you put it inside an application. I recalled the powerful intuitions that I got about newtonscript's dynamic scoping with the words "object born into an environment". This had contextual or experiential meaning to me at the time, the sort of thing one captures, not in words, but in the folklore of a subject material.

I am falling on keyboard shortcuts and method spelling checks so I don't have to go back into the lesson to find out how to capitalise letters in the methods. This stuff has to get wired in, as a fundamental dance pattern must be, as kids learn a video game experientially very fast. One must honor that sort of human activity and, until you pass into trying out your own examples,  over and over through his examples, just "do it".

However, so far, while getting this facility in inspecting live what happens when we program, we aren't getting how to use polymorphism to construct whole languages and operating systems while making them surveyable to individual user/programmers.

Long ago at a motorola conference, the intuition of this is held by network programmers and sadly the formalisation of this had been a different world. Since, as rapid oop development environments have come out of the closet of industrial secrecy, the folklore and formal might have "married" a bit and marriage is a bit more mature than simple outsourcing to Brazil.

;-)

We are, by Americo so far, dosed with only examples of methods of classes, eg. class string and orderedCollection.
1. I note, however, this is a lot less tedious than if I had never studied any other object oriented language such as objective C Next derivative or newtonscript.
2. I further note, a lot lot less tedious than if I had ever learned scripting c shells .
3. Steve Jobs at D5 quoted Alan Kay saying that software motivates hardware and you bootstrap into hardware with a "monitor" or "text editor" to make programs.

If one, however, imagines that one does not have any solitude to, without embarrassment, be tedious, one's life becomes a shallow fascade. One might get traumatized into believing that one either must either spend all time alone with one's own thoughts or steal everyone else's thoughts and sell them.

In fact, there are always third alternatives ... .