lessphic? may be a future for morphic

123

lessphic? may be a future for morphic

stephane ducasse
http:/piumarta.com/software/cola/canvas.pdf

BTW
one of these days it would be good to
        - identify the core of morphic (should not that be difficult)
        - rethink these parts
Because we need a small better done UI framework or simply implement
lessphic in Squeak

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

tblanchard
I is hard to get excited about adopting something when the author includes a statement like

"Please, please replace the system described herein at your earliest convenience with something infinitely better (maybe using generalised
relationships and constraints rather than hard-wired structure)"

But I am all for replacing the current pile of goo.

On Jan 29, 2008, at 11:25 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

http:/piumarta.com/software/cola/canvas.pdf

BTW
one of these days it would be good to
- identify the core of morphic (should not that be difficult)
- rethink these parts
Because we need a small better done UI framework or simply implement lessphic in Squeak

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Stef,

stephane ducasse wrote:
> http:/piumarta.com/software/cola/canvas.pdf
>
> BTW
> one of these days it would be good to
>     - identify the core of morphic (should not that be difficult)
>     - rethink these parts
This looks exactly what I'm doing with Morphic 3. Anybody willing to do
as you say is welcome to check what I'm doing, and work together. I
believe Morphic 3 can be the next UI framework for Squeak. Do you?

To read about Morphic 3, see
http://www.jvuletich.org/Smalltalks2007/St2007VuletichMorphic3TalkProposal.pdf
and http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_01.html .
> Because we need a small better done UI framework or simply implement
> lessphic in Squeak

Sure!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Jan 30, 2008 3:01 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stef,

stephane ducasse wrote:
> http:/piumarta.com/software/cola/canvas.pdf
>
> BTW
> one of these days it would be good to
>     - identify the core of morphic (should not that be difficult)
>     - rethink these parts
This looks exactly what I'm doing with Morphic 3. Anybody willing to do
as you say is welcome to check what I'm doing, and work together. I
believe Morphic 3 can be the next UI framework for Squeak. Do you?

To read about Morphic 3, see
http://www.jvuletich.org/Smalltalks2007/St2007VuletichMorphic3TalkProposal.pdf
and http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_01.html .

Some time in the next couple of years, I'll need a secure graphics API for my SecureSqueak project. The basic idea is that I need as thin a layer of abstraction as possible over various 2-D graphics targets: X11, MS Windows, Mac, Postscript/other printer APIs, OpenGL, VNC and possibly libraries such as Cairo. It would also need to do some event handling, as many events rely on a particular coordinate system. GUIs such as Morphic or Tweak would run on top of this.

Does your Morphic3 project have a base which could target all these? So far all I'm seeing is talk about bizarre coordinate systems.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

stephane ducasse
Hi juan

I know your project now I told you that several times so I repeat it
again:
If we cannot load Morphic 3 beside Morphic 2 then really few people
will be able to load it.
The transition phase will be difficult. So think again about it. If
you force people to chose
then you will not gain from them. Now if I can load Morphic 3 beside
Morphic2 then I'm sure people
may help to port elements from one to the other.
Look at the stream of Craig.

Stef

On Jan 30, 2008, at 3:01 AM, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> stephane ducasse wrote:
>> http:/piumarta.com/software/cola/canvas.pdf
>>
>> BTW
>> one of these days it would be good to
>>    - identify the core of morphic (should not that be difficult)
>>    - rethink these parts
> This looks exactly what I'm doing with Morphic 3. Anybody willing to
> do as you say is welcome to check what I'm doing, and work together.
> I believe Morphic 3 can be the next UI framework for Squeak. Do you?
>
> To read about Morphic 3, see http://www.jvuletich.org/Smalltalks2007/St2007VuletichMorphic3TalkProposal.pdf
>  and http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_01.html .
>> Because we need a small better done UI framework or simply
>> implement lessphic in Squeak
>>

> Sure!
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Gulik,

Morphic 3 supports arbitrary non-linear coordinate systems. I don't
understand how you envision rendering over those targets. Morphic 3 has
a rendering engine that renders on Squeak Display, as current Morphic's
canvases with Balloon 2D and BitBlt.

Please read my documents, and let's talk about coordinate systems!
Currently I have implemented Cartesian, LogX and a few cartographic.
Watch the demo at Smalltalks 2007 at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90TGhRZUSOo . It is worth watching even
if you don't understand my Spanish.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> Some time in the next couple of years, I'll need a secure graphics API
> for my SecureSqueak project. The basic idea is that I need as thin a
> layer of abstraction as possible over various 2-D graphics targets:
> X11, MS Windows, Mac, Postscript/other printer APIs, OpenGL, VNC and
> possibly libraries such as Cairo. It would also need to do some event
> handling, as many events rely on a particular coordinate system. GUIs
> such as Morphic or Tweak would run on top of this.
>
> Does your Morphic3 project have a base which could target all these?
> So far all I'm seeing is talk about bizarre coordinate systems.
>
> Gulik.
>

> --
> http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
> http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Stef,

It is all about objectives, priorities and resources. I'm not against
running M3 beside M2. And I'm not forcing people to chose. If you have
options (Morphic 2 / lessphic / Tweak / Morphic 3 / whatever) then you
need to chose. Don't blame me of that.

It is just that I don't want to spend my very little time on that. I
prefer to think and develop the design. However anyone can help. Let's
get to your objectives:

If your objective is to "- identify the core of morphic and - rethink
these parts" then whether you can load M3 beside M2 or not is pretty
irrelevant. You can just use my image. That's what I expect from people
wanting to discuss the ideas and help developing it. I mean, if you want
to rethink the core of Morphic, just start criticizing my documents and
what I've done so far.

If your objective is "Need to load it beside M2" then you can help. You can:
- work on it
- get a student or someone to work on it
- get Esug to sponsor me. If I could work full time on M3, things would
go much faster.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Ps. What do you mean by "the stream of Craig"?

stephane ducasse wrote:

> Hi juan
>
> I know your project now I told you that several times so I repeat it
> again:
> If we cannot load Morphic 3 beside Morphic 2 then really few people
> will be able to load it.
> The transition phase will be difficult. So think again about it. If
> you force people to chose
> then you will not gain from them. Now if I can load Morphic 3 beside
> Morphic2 then I'm sure people
> may help to port elements from one to the other.
> Look at the stream of Craig.
>
> Stef

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Bergel, Alexandre
Hi Michael,

> Some time in the next couple of years, I'll need a secure graphics
> API for my SecureSqueak project. The basic idea is that I need as
> thin a layer of abstraction as possible over various 2-D graphics
> targets: X11, MS Windows, Mac, Postscript/other printer APIs,
> OpenGL, VNC and possibly libraries such as Cairo. It would also
> need to do some event handling, as many events rely on a particular
> coordinate system. GUIs such as Morphic or Tweak would run on top
> of this.

You said "secure". Can you elaborate on this?

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Edgar J. De Cleene
Stef, Juan and all Squeakers:

I repeat here my last mail about this issue

Morphic 3.0 deserves lot more as "your stuff lack my XYZ needs" attitude.

In fact, is a beauty waiting gentlemen come to help !

As I said in "Discussion about development of Squeak 3.10"
<[hidden email]> , Juan convinces me as at this time he
should work in his image and don't try Morphic 3 runs in "normal" Squeak (as
I previous think, Stef)

I'm very sorry can't meet in person with Juan often and work together.

Juan, if you need I test some in Mac, XP, and Linux, I'm here.

Edgar

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Jason Johnson-5
On Jan 30, 2008 1:41 PM, Bergel, Alexandre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You said "secure". Can you elaborate on this?

I'm also confused by this.  For me a "secure" whatever means a
whatever that can't be broken into.

Do mean an API written with your namespace solution or do you actually
mean "stable"?

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Jan 31, 2008 1:41 AM, Bergel, Alexandre <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Michael,

> Some time in the next couple of years, I'll need a secure graphics
> API for my SecureSqueak project. The basic idea is that I need as
> thin a layer of abstraction as possible over various 2-D graphics
> targets: X11, MS Windows, Mac, Postscript/other printer APIs,
> OpenGL, VNC and possibly libraries such as Cairo. It would also
> need to do some event handling, as many events rely on a particular
> coordinate system. GUIs such as Morphic or Tweak would run on top
> of this.

You said "secure". Can you elaborate on this?

Untrusted code will be loaded, in bytecode form with dynamically rebound literals, from an untrusted remote server and executed locally. It would be able to render graphics, but not use the graphics / event-handling API to otherwise affect the running of any other remotely loaded untrusted code.

This includes the untrusted code being denied access to important objects and using excessive resources (cpu/memory/disk/network) such that the running of other code is affected.

For example, untrusted code will only be able to draw within the bounds of a Canvas passed to it. Draw commands outside this area will be clipped.

More here: http://gulik.pbwiki.com/SecureSqueak.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

On Jan 31, 2008 9:27 AM, Michael van der Gulik <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 31, 2008 1:41 AM, Bergel, Alexandre <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Michael,

> Some time in the next couple of years, I'll need a secure graphics
> API for my SecureSqueak project. The basic idea is that I need as
> thin a layer of abstraction as possible over various 2-D graphics
> targets: X11, MS Windows, Mac, Postscript/other printer APIs,
> OpenGL, VNC and possibly libraries such as Cairo. It would also
> need to do some event handling, as many events rely on a particular
> coordinate system. GUIs such as Morphic or Tweak would run on top
> of this.

You said "secure". Can you elaborate on this?

Untrusted code will be loaded, in bytecode form with dynamically rebound literals, from an untrusted remote server and executed locally. It would be able to render graphics, but not use the graphics / event-handling API to otherwise affect the running of any other remotely loaded untrusted code.

This includes the untrusted code being denied access to important objects and using excessive resources (cpu/memory/disk/network) such that the running of other code is affected.

For example, untrusted code will only be able to draw within the bounds of a Canvas passed to it. Draw commands outside this area will be clipped.

More here: http://gulik.pbwiki.com/SecureSqueak.

Sorry... I answered the question but didn't explain why.

I was hoping that Juan

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Jan 31, 2008 9:27 AM, Michael van der Gulik <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 31, 2008 1:41 AM, Bergel, Alexandre <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Michael,

> Some time in the next couple of years, I'll need a secure graphics
> API for my SecureSqueak project. The basic idea is that I need as
> thin a layer of abstraction as possible over various 2-D graphics
> targets: X11, MS Windows, Mac, Postscript/other printer APIs,
> OpenGL, VNC and possibly libraries such as Cairo. It would also
> need to do some event handling, as many events rely on a particular
> coordinate system. GUIs such as Morphic or Tweak would run on top
> of this.

You said "secure". Can you elaborate on this?

Untrusted code will be loaded, in bytecode form with dynamically rebound literals, from an untrusted remote server and executed locally. It would be able to render graphics, but not use the graphics / event-handling API to otherwise affect the running of any other remotely loaded untrusted code.

This includes the untrusted code being denied access to important objects and using excessive resources (cpu/memory/disk/network) such that the running of other code is affected.

For example, untrusted code will only be able to draw within the bounds of a Canvas passed to it. Draw commands outside this area will be clipped.

More here: http://gulik.pbwiki.com/SecureSqueak.

Sorry... I answered the question but didn't explain why.

I was hoping that Juan would have made an architectural separation at some point between a hardware abstracting API, with his Morphic 3 running on top of it. Ideally, these would be two separate projects; the hardware API would use handle basic drawing and event management, and Morphic 3 would process those events and do the fancy transformations.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

On Jan 31, 2008 12:04 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Gulik,

Morphic 3 supports arbitrary non-linear coordinate systems. I don't
understand how you envision rendering over those targets. Morphic 3 has
a rendering engine that renders on Squeak Display, as current Morphic's
canvases with Balloon 2D and BitBlt.

Please read my documents, and let's talk about coordinate systems!
Currently I have implemented Cartesian, LogX and a few cartographic.
Watch the demo at Smalltalks 2007 at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90TGhRZUSOo . It is worth watching even
if you don't understand my Spanish.

Could you give a few examples of where the arbitrary coordinate systems would actually be useful? This is the part I'm confused about - you're focussing on them a lot, but I don't see why.

I would have thought it would be up to the application to provide the logorithmic coordinate mappings rather than the GUI.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Juan Vuletich-4
To do rendering that is really pixel independent and support the non
linear geometric deformations implied by arbitrary coordinate systems
you can not use standard drawing primitives. Morphic 3 really needs a
new, custom rendering engine. Check the video of my demo. You'll
understand you can not do that with, for example, OpenGL.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2008 12:04 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Gulik,
>
>     Morphic 3 supports arbitrary non-linear coordinate systems. I don't
>     understand how you envision rendering over those targets. Morphic
>     3 has
>     a rendering engine that renders on Squeak Display, as current
>     Morphic's
>     canvases with Balloon 2D and BitBlt.
>
>     Please read my documents, and let's talk about coordinate systems!
>     Currently I have implemented Cartesian, LogX and a few cartographic.
>     Watch the demo at Smalltalks 2007 at
>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90TGhRZUSOo . It is worth watching even
>     if you don't understand my Spanish.
>

> Could you give a few examples of where the arbitrary coordinate
> systems would actually be useful? This is the part I'm confused about
> - you're focussing on them a lot, but I don't see why.
>
> I would have thought it would be up to the application to provide the
> logorithmic coordinate mappings rather than the GUI.

That how it is usually done. So that code is repeated in various
applications, the behavior is neither consistent nor correct (see my
approach to pixel independent rendering), there is duplicated effort,
many bugs appears, etc. Please do read
http://www.jvuletich.org/Smalltalks2007/St2007VuletichMorphic3TalkProposal.pdf
. Also read http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_02.html
and http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_032.html . I try
to make my point there. I don't know what to say but repeat what I wrote
there. If I'm not clear enough or you don't agree with me, tell me!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Jan 31, 2008 2:27 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Gulik,

Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2008 12:04 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Gulik,
>
>     Morphic 3 supports arbitrary non-linear coordinate systems. I don't
>     understand how you envision rendering over those targets. Morphic
>     3 has
>     a rendering engine that renders on Squeak Display, as current
>     Morphic's
>     canvases with Balloon 2D and BitBlt.
>
>     Please read my documents, and let's talk about coordinate systems!
>     Currently I have implemented Cartesian, LogX and a few cartographic.
>     Watch the demo at Smalltalks 2007 at
>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90TGhRZUSOo . It is worth watching even
>     if you don't understand my Spanish.
>

> Could you give a few examples of where the arbitrary coordinate
> systems would actually be useful? This is the part I'm confused about
> - you're focussing on them a lot, but I don't see why.
>
> I would have thought it would be up to the application to provide the
> logorithmic coordinate mappings rather than the GUI.

That how it is usually done. So that code is repeated in various
applications, the behavior is neither consistent nor correct (see my
approach to pixel independent rendering), there is duplicated effort,
many bugs appears, etc. Please do read
. Also read http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_02.html
and http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_032.html . I try
to make my point there. I don't know what to say but repeat what I wrote
there. If I'm not clear enough or you don't agree with me, tell me!

Could you give some examples of where a non-linear coordinate system would be useful? I don't understand why you would want them in the GUI rather than the application.

What other features does Morphic 3 have? All I'm seeing is "non-linear coordinate systems".

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Bert Freudenberg

On Jan 31, 2008, at 2:27 , Juan Vuletich wrote:

> To do rendering that is really pixel independent and support the
> non linear geometric deformations implied by arbitrary coordinate
> systems you can not use standard drawing primitives. Morphic 3
> really needs a new, custom rendering engine. Check the video of my
> demo. You'll understand you can not do that with, for example, OpenGL.

The way I would do your demo in OpenGL would be that every morph
renders to its own off-screen surface, and when compositing, it would
apply the non-linear transformation. This is now a standard
implementation technique, except it usually is not used for
projective geometry but for fancy effects (like the Genie effect when
minimizing Mac OS X windows).

Mind I did not understand what you said in the talk, just commenting
on the visuals ...

- Bert -

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Igor Stasenko
I'd like to hear, how this highly abstract structures and coordinate
systems can be designed in such manner, that it will be efficient for
rendering with high speed using pixel blitting operations and/or
hardware accelerated libraries (such as OpenGL).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Juan Vuletich-4

>     >
>     >
>     > Could you give a few examples of where the arbitrary coordinate
>     > systems would actually be useful? This is the part I'm confused
>     about
>     > - you're focussing on them a lot, but I don't see why.
>     >
>     > I would have thought it would be up to the application to
>     provide the
>     > logorithmic coordinate mappings rather than the GUI.
>     >
>     That how it is usually done. So that code is repeated in various
>     applications, the behavior is neither consistent nor correct (see my
>     approach to pixel independent rendering), there is duplicated effort,
>     many bugs appears, etc. Please do read
>     http://www.jvuletich.org/Smalltalks2007/St2007VuletichMorphic3TalkProposal.pdf
>     . Also read
>     http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_02.html
>     and http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_032.html .
>     I try
>     to make my point there. I don't know what to say but repeat what I
>     wrote
>     there. If I'm not clear enough or you don't agree with me, tell me!
>

> Could you give some examples of where a non-linear coordinate system
> would be useful? I don't understand why you would want them in the GUI
> rather than the application.
Yes. Logarithmic scales in music and technical applications, pentagrams
in music, geographic in maps, polar in math.
Having that in the GUI offers the same advantages of having Morphic
instead of implementing an ad hoc idea of graphic object in each
application.

> What other features does Morphic 3 have? All I'm seeing is "non-linear
> coordinate systems".

Morph specification that is agnostic about pixels and resolution. This
is the key to building GUIs that look good on screen with different dpi's.

Theorically correct antia aliasing ("the signal processing approach to
anti aliasing").

Better design that current Morphic, with simpler and smaller code.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

123