license

Esteban Robles Luna
Hi list,
I want to know if I can develop and deploy an application in squeak,
charging the client with the cost of the development?
Regards
Esteban

Re: license

Esteban Robles Luna
May be the subject deserves more explanation.
I'm working with squeak and seaside for one of my clients. After I
have decided to implement the system in squeak and seaside one
question come up to my mind. Is there any restrictions in the use of
squeak for commercial purpose. I dont understand well the apple
license.
I hope someone help me
Regards
Esteban

--
Saludos
Esteban

RE: Re: license

Ron Teitelbaum
Esteban,

The simple answer to your question is you are free to do with squeak
anything you want.

The long answer is your mileage may very since I'm not a lawyer and I'm not
giving you any legal advice.  So if you are concerned you should contact a
lawyer.

You would not be the first one to be concerned about the squeakL from apple.
The community working hard to change that and we have made some progress.
The most likely outcome is http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/2.0.txt .
But the community was mostly interested in MIT:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

Read carefully,

I hope that helps!

Ron

Re: Re: license

Chiara-2
Hi, I'm reading the squeak licence, and there are several points tha I
don't fully understand.

"2. Permitted Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to copy,
install and use the Apple Software on an unlimited number of computers
under your direct control. You may modify and create derivative works
of the Apple Software ("Modified Software"), however, you may not
modify or create derivative works of the fonts provided by Apple
("Fonts"). ..."

**************
By "Fonts" it refers to the source of squeak? to the image? to the
original clases?
**************

"...You may distribute and sublicense such Modified Software only
under the terms of a valid, binding license that makes no
representations or warranties on behalf of Apple, and is no less
protective of Apple and Apple's rights than this License. You may
distribute and sublicense the Fonts only as a part of and for use with
Modified Software, and not as a part of or for use with Modified
Software that is distributed or sublicensed for a fee or for other
valuable consideration...."

**************
I cannot distribute the fonts if I charge my client for it?, again, fonts = ??
**************

"...If the Modified Software contains modifications, overwrites,
replacements, deletions, additions, or ports to new platforms of: (1)
the methods of existing class objects or their existing relationships,
or (2) any part of the virtual machine, then for so long as the
Modified Software is distributed or sublicensed to others, such
modified, overwritten, replaced, deleted, added and ported portions of
the Modified Software must be made publicly available, preferably by
means of download from a website, at no charge under the terms set
forth in Exhibit A below. ..."

**************
"Modified Software" reffers to modification to the fonts? For example
if I modify the Class Object, I must do it public, but, and here is my
question, if I extend Object whith my own class, must I do it publict
or no?
**************

"...You may transfer your rights under this License provided you
transfer this License and a copy of the Apple Software to a party who
agrees to accept the terms of this License and destroy any other
copies of the Apple Software in your possession. Your rights under
this License will terminate automatically without notice from Apple if
you fail to comply with any term(s) of this License."

On 8/15/06, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Esteban,
>
> The simple answer to your question is you are free to do with squeak
> anything you want.
>
> The long answer is your mileage may very since I'm not a lawyer and I'm not
> giving you any legal advice.  So if you are concerned you should contact a
> lawyer.
>
> You would not be the first one to be concerned about the squeakL from apple.
> The community working hard to change that and we have made some progress.
> The most likely outcome is http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/2.0.txt .
> But the community was mostly interested in MIT:
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
>
> Read carefully,
>
> I hope that helps!
>
> Ron

Saludos Chiara

"Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding."
Albert Einstein

Re: Re: license

stéphane ducasse-2
Basically I know a lot of companies doing money with Squeak so there
is no problem.
I wish you a lot of success! We need a lot of companies developing in
Squeak.
The system will then improve.

Stef

On 15 août 06, at 19:53, Esteban Robles Luna wrote:

> May be the subject deserves more explanation.
> I'm working with squeak and seaside for one of my clients. After I
> have decided to implement the system in squeak and seaside one
> question come up to my mind. Is there any restrictions in the use of
> squeak for commercial purpose. I dont understand well the apple
> license.
> I hope someone help me
> Regards
> Esteban
>

> On 8/15/06, Esteban Robles Luna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> I want to know if I can develop and deploy an application in squeak,
>> charging the client with the cost of the development?
>> Regards
>> Esteban
>>

> --
> Saludos
> Esteban

Re: Re: license

stéphane ducasse-2
In fact in earlier version of Squeak Apple fonts were used.
So now this clause does not hold anymore.

> Hi, I'm reading the squeak licence, and there are several points tha I
> don't fully understand.

:)

> "2. Permitted Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to copy,
> install and use the Apple Software on an unlimited number of computers
> under your direct control. You may modify and create derivative works
> of the Apple Software ("Modified Software"), however, you may not
> modify or create derivative works of the fonts provided by Apple
> ("Fonts"). ..."
>
> **************
> By "Fonts" it refers to the source of squeak? to the image? to the
> original clases?
> **************
>
> "...You may distribute and sublicense such Modified Software only
> under the terms of a valid, binding license that makes no
> representations or warranties on behalf of Apple, and is no less
> protective of Apple and Apple's rights than this License. You may
> distribute and sublicense the Fonts only as a part of and for use with
> Modified Software, and not as a part of or for use with Modified
> Software that is distributed or sublicensed for a fee or for other
> valuable consideration...."
>
> **************
> I cannot distribute the fonts if I charge my client for it?, again,
> fonts = ??
> **************
>
> "...If the Modified Software contains modifications, overwrites,
> replacements, deletions, additions, or ports to new platforms of: (1)
> the methods of existing class objects or their existing relationships,
> or (2) any part of the virtual machine, then for so long as the
> Modified Software is distributed or sublicensed to others, such
> modified, overwritten, replaced, deleted, added and ported portions of
> the Modified Software must be made publicly available, preferably by
> means of download from a website, at no charge under the terms set
> forth in Exhibit A below. ..."
>
> **************
> "Modified Software" reffers to modification to the fonts? For example
> if I modify the Class Object, I must do it public, but, and here is my
> question, if I extend Object whith my own class, must I do it publict
> or no?
> **************

Basically the point is that if you improve the system you should
normally
give it to the community but nobody will check your harddisk.
However if you fix something and help improving squeak then the next
time
it will be fixed and better :)

> "...You may transfer your rights under this License provided you
> transfer this License and a copy of the Apple Software to a party who
> agrees to accept the terms of this License and destroy any other
> copies of the Apple Software in your possession. Your rights under
> this License will terminate automatically without notice from Apple if
> you fail to comply with any term(s) of this License."
>
> On 8/15/06, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Esteban,
>>
>> The simple answer to your question is you are free to do with squeak
>> anything you want.
>>
>> The long answer is your mileage may very since I'm not a lawyer
>> and I'm not
>> giving you any legal advice.  So if you are concerned you should
>> contact a
>> lawyer.
>>
>> You would not be the first one to be concerned about the squeakL
>> from apple.
>> The community working hard to change that and we have made some
>> progress.
>> The most likely outcome is http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/
>> 2.0.txt .
>> But the community was mostly interested in MIT:
>> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
>>
>> Read carefully,
>>
>> I hope that helps!
>>
>> Ron

Re: Re: license

Chiara-2
> Basically the point is that if you improve the system you should
> normally
> give it to the community but nobody will check your harddisk.
> However if you fix something and help improving squeak then the next
> time
> it will be fixed and better :)

Ok, don't worry if I do any usefull tool it will apear in any repository :).

thakns.

--
Saludos Chiara

"Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding."
Albert Einstein

Re: Re: license

Esteban Robles Luna
Thanks for the reply.
The only problem I found with squeak is that morphic system is far
away from what a user expect a UI to be. Is there any chance of
implement a MVC with look and feel? I have seen that you can create a
MVC project, but widgets are not like OS widgets.
Another question I have is which is the class that "setup" the
environment. The one who creates the main window.
Esteban

On 8/15/06, Chiara <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Basically the point is that if you improve the system you should
> > normally
> > give it to the community but nobody will check your harddisk.
> > However if you fix something and help improving squeak then the next
> > time
> > it will be fixed and better :)
>
> Ok, don't worry if I do any usefull tool it will apear in any repository :).
>
> thakns.
>

> --
> Saludos Chiara
>
> "Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding."
> Albert Einstein

Saludos
Esteban

RE: Re: license

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi Esteban,

Check out wxSqueak which uses wxWidgets.  http://www.wxsqueak.org/

You should consider using Glade to build your interface:
http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/

You already know about seaside.

Hope that helps!

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Re: license

Damien Cassou-3
Chiara wrote:

> Hi, I'm reading the squeak licence, and there are several points tha I
> don't fully understand.
>
> "2. Permitted Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to copy,
> install and use the Apple Software on an unlimited number of computers
> under your direct control. You may modify and create derivative works
> of the Apple Software ("Modified Software"), however, you may not
> modify or create derivative works of the fonts provided by Apple
> ("Fonts"). ..."
>
> **************
> By "Fonts" it refers to the source of squeak? to the image? to the
> original clases?
> **************

In my opinion, by Fonts, they refer to Fonts as in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonts

Can somebody confirm ?

Re: Re: license

Chiara-2
> > By "Fonts" it refers to the source of squeak? to the image? to the
> > original clases?
>

> In my opinion, by Fonts, they refer to Fonts as in
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonts
>
> Can somebody confirm ?

jeje yes, I don't realize that until it was to late (the mail was sent).

Thanks anyway