linux 64bit vm running a 32 bit images - networking vm crash

12

Re: linux 64bit vm running a 32 bit images - networking vm crash

David T. Lewis

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 12:44:01PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 31-May-07, at 9:39 AM, Martin Kuball wrote:
>
> >Well, I'm running a 64bit Linux and I don't want to change into a
> >32bit
> >environment to run squeak. That's all.
>
> Somebody is going to have to explain this to me. Why would you have
> to "change into a 32bit environment" ?

On a 64-bit machine, a 32-bit VM has to use the appropriate runtime
libraries. If you build a 32-bit VM on a 64-bit system, you have to link
to the right libraries. Google "linux 64-bit 32-bit" for the annoying
details. This is really not a big deal, but who wants to figure out that
kind of stuff, especially if you are building your own VM and you are
already running on a perfectly good 64-bit machine.

Hmmm, even more especially if you are building an application that is
supposed to be portable across a wide variety of target machines. It
works on RISC OS, but not on AMD64? Go figure.

Dave

Re: linux 64bit vm running a 32 bit images - networking vm crash

timrowledge

On 31-May-07, at 5:41 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 12:44:01PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>> On 31-May-07, at 9:39 AM, Martin Kuball wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I'm running a 64bit Linux and I don't want to change into a
>>> 32bit
>>> environment to run squeak. That's all.
>>
>> Somebody is going to have to explain this to me. Why would you have
>> to "change into a 32bit environment" ?
>
> On a 64-bit machine, a 32-bit VM has to use the appropriate runtime
> libraries.

Oh, duh. '64 bit' makes noises in my head about 64 bit OOPs. Never mind.

tim
<-------- The information went data way -------->

Re: linux 64bit vm running a 32 bit images - networking vm crash

Bryce Kampjes

tim Rowledge writes:
 > >> Somebody is going to have to explain this to me. Why would you have
 > >> to "change into a 32bit environment" ?
 > >
 > > On a 64-bit machine, a 32-bit VM has to use the appropriate runtime
 > > libraries.
 >
 > Oh, duh. '64 bit' makes noises in my head about 64 bit OOPs. Never mind.

There's also the possibility that the AMD64 instruction set is
faster than AMD32 especially if you're using a 32 bit image so
are not paying for extra memory bandwidth for each oop. The reason
is increasing the number of registers from 8 (6-7 usable) to 16.

This may not matter for the interpreter given branch mispredicts
due to decoding.

Bryce

Re: linux 64bit vm running a 32 bit images - networking vm crash

Philippe Marschall

2007/5/31, Martin Kuball <[hidden email]>:

> Am Thursday 31 May 2007 schrieb tim Rowledge:
> > Martin - and others of course - what exactly do you want a 64bit vm
> > for? Do you really need more than 4gb sized object memory spaces?
> > What benefit is there to running a 64bit integer baesed vm with a
> > 32bit oop based image? Perhaps I'm forgetting something but it
> > doesn't seem like anything terribly useful.
> >
> > tim
> > --
> > tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> > Strange OpCodes: SSAN: Stop, and See if Anyone Notices
>
> Well, I'm running a 64bit Linux and I don't want to change into a 32bit
> environment to run squeak. That's all. And it works for me. The memory
> access bug is fixed. And if I get some positive feedback from Philippe
> about the network bug I will  post a CS for VMMaker.

Sorry it took me so long. Seaside works (did before), Monticello
crashes no more.
So I'd say it works for me so far.

There are of course a lot of plugins who don't work (cast from pointer
to integer of different size). Many of them I don't miss (graphic,
sound, ...). Among those I miss cUrl, could anybody get this to
compile? But UUID works.

Cheers
Philippe

> From my point of view it's just a matter of having the choice. And I think
> people should have the choice If we can provide it.
>
> Martin

12