David Faught
Attached is a screen capture of an object loaded into Croquet from
Blender using the Ogre XML file format.  As you can see, the
star-shaped object appears to not be recognizing the associated
TMaterial.  There is only 1 TMaterial in the object's materialList,
and the object's faceGroups properly (I think) reference the TMaterial
as index 1.  The material is strictly colors, there is no associated
texture image.

The thing that is a little weird about this is that when I select the
mirror window's frame, as shown in the capture, the object turns grey
(although not in the mirror - don't think I really care about that).

Any ideas as to what is going on here?  I am more interested in
getting the TMaterial to work properly than in what is going on with
the greyness.

Thanks for any help.
Dave

P.S. I apologize for sending an image which makes the email much
bigger.  I do try to keep them small.  Hopefully nobody minds too
much.

ScreenShot015s.png (84K) Download Attachment

Re: loading 3D models

David A. Smith-3
My guess is this is a lighting artifact. This could be related to
computing incorrect normals - or it might just be a directional light
that is coming from the opposite side.

DAS

David Faught wrote:

> Attached is a screen capture of an object loaded into Croquet from
> Blender using the Ogre XML file format.  As you can see, the
> star-shaped object appears to not be recognizing the associated
> TMaterial.  There is only 1 TMaterial in the object's materialList,
> and the object's faceGroups properly (I think) reference the TMaterial
> as index 1.  The material is strictly colors, there is no associated
> texture image.
>
> The thing that is a little weird about this is that when I select the
> mirror window's frame, as shown in the capture, the object turns grey
> (although not in the mirror - don't think I really care about that).
>
> Any ideas as to what is going on here?  I am more interested in
> getting the TMaterial to work properly than in what is going on with
> the greyness.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Dave
>
> P.S. I apologize for sending an image which makes the email much
> bigger.  I do try to keep them small.  Hopefully nobody minds too
> much.

Re: loading 3D models

Howard Stearns-3
If I recall correctly, the Ogre importer (or the part of it that
built the mesh) was hardwired to use only one material.

On Sep 23, 2007, at 12:39 PM, David Faught wrote:

> Attached is a screen capture of an object loaded into Croquet from
> Blender using the Ogre XML file format.  As you can see, the
> star-shaped object appears to not be recognizing the associated
> TMaterial.  There is only 1 TMaterial in the object's materialList,
> and the object's faceGroups properly (I think) reference the TMaterial
> as index 1.  The material is strictly colors, there is no associated
> texture image.
>
> The thing that is a little weird about this is that when I select the
> mirror window's frame, as shown in the capture, the object turns grey
> (although not in the mirror - don't think I really care about that).
>
> Any ideas as to what is going on here?  I am more interested in
> getting the TMaterial to work properly than in what is going on with
> the greyness.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Dave
>
> P.S. I apologize for sending an image which makes the email much
> bigger.  I do try to keep them small.  Hopefully nobody minds too
> much.
> <ScreenShot015s.png>

Re: loading 3D models

Brad Fowlow-2
Hi David,

This probably isn't the "real" issue
(the Ogre/XML importer  I think does some fairly crude simplifications
when it loads submeshes)
but might help while trying to sort things out...

In some versions of the TMesh compatibility routines
that (I think) Ogre importing uses,
there was a nonsense material-index setup bug when strips were loaded.

The attached change to TMesh deals with that.   It may or may not apply
depending on which version of TMesh and TMeshX
are in the Croquet-Objects you're using.

- brad

On Sep 23, 2007, at 10:39 AM, David Faught wrote:

> Attached is a screen capture of an object loaded into Croquet from
> Blender using the Ogre XML file format.  As you can see, the
> star-shaped object appears to not be recognizing the associated
> TMaterial.  There is only 1 TMaterial in the object's materialList,
> and the object's faceGroups properly (I think) reference the TMaterial
> as index 1.  The material is strictly colors, there is no associated
> texture image.

MaterialIndex.1.cs (1K) Download Attachment

Re: loading 3D models

David Faught
On 9/23/07, Brad Fowlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi David,

Hi Brad,

> This probably isn't the "real" issue
> (the Ogre/XML importer  I think does some fairly crude simplifications
> when it loads submeshes)
> but might help while trying to sort things out...

Yes, I have already fixed up the submesh parsing and building, so that
there are proper faceGroups with the right materialList indices.
Looking further along the line, I now think that the real problem that
I am seeing is because the rendering of the TAnimatedMesh that UMN's
Skeletal Animation uses appears to assume that the model has image
textures, which the ones I have right now don't.  I have found a
couple other issues with assumptions that were made that should be
more general.

> In some versions of the TMesh compatibility routines
> that (I think) Ogre importing uses,
> there was a nonsense material-index setup bug when strips were loaded.
>
> The attached change to TMesh deals with that.   It may or may not apply
> depending on which version of TMesh and TMeshX
> are in the Croquet-Objects you're using.

Thanks for your help.  I will check it out.

> - brad

Regards,
Dave