macintosh carbon VM goes to legacy status.

macintosh carbon VM goes to legacy status.

johnmci
The macintosh carbon VM is going into a legacy support state.

Why?

ESUG has provided me with some funds to help build a new 32/64 bit Cocoa (intel/ppc) based Squeak VM, please don't forget to thank them for supporting the community.

Today based on the iPhone VM tree and many more hours of effort I managed to start up a 64 bit intel based Cocoa VM using a 32bit squeak image.

I still have a "bit" more to go in order to get the keyboard logic to correctly mimic the older carbon behaviour,  so I won't start public beta testing until the end of the month.
And it only feels like a sea of "warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size" to work thru, but previous efforts by folks like David T Lewis has reduced that to I think
a manageable issue.

If you are interested in alpha testing the VM please email me privately and I'll see if I can get you a workable VM by the end of next week.

The primary project goal is to:

Build a new cocoa based 32/64bit intel/ppc VM with an MIT license, basically from scratch, to enable the ability to use a 32bit image or 64bit image.

Some other objectives:

To build it from scratch using the 4.2.2 VM as a reference
To ensure the xcode project can build both an OSX VM and a iPhone VM.
Port as little code from the past, excluding the Socket and basic file I/O logic.
Other plugins address as needed.

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: macintosh carbon VM goes to legacy status.

Bert Freudenberg
On 14.11.2009, at 03:56, John M McIntosh wrote:

> The macintosh carbon VM is going into a legacy support state.
>
> Why?
>
> ESUG has provided me with some funds to help build a new 32/64 bit Cocoa (intel/ppc) based Squeak VM, please don't forget to thank them for supporting the community.
>
> Today based on the iPhone VM tree and many more hours of effort I managed to start up a 64 bit intel based Cocoa VM using a 32bit squeak image.
>
> I still have a "bit" more to go in order to get the keyboard logic to correctly mimic the older carbon behaviour,  so I won't start public beta testing until the end of the month.
> And it only feels like a sea of "warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size" to work thru, but previous efforts by folks like David T Lewis has reduced that to I think
> a manageable issue.
>
> If you are interested in alpha testing the VM please email me privately and I'll see if I can get you a workable VM by the end of next week.
>
> The primary project goal is to:
>
> Build a new cocoa based 32/64bit intel/ppc VM with an MIT license, basically from scratch, to enable the ability to use a 32bit image or 64bit image.
>
> Some other objectives:
>
> To build it from scratch using the 4.2.2 VM as a reference
> To ensure the xcode project can build both an OSX VM and a iPhone VM.
> Port as little code from the past, excluding the Socket and basic file I/O logic.
> Other plugins address as needed.

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Yay! Thanks ESUG :)

Hope this will make it easier to revamp the browser plugin, too?

- Bert -

Re: Re: macintosh carbon VM goes to legacy status.

johnmci

On 2009-11-14, at 6:53 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Yay! Thanks ESUG :)
>
> Hope this will make it easier to revamp the browser plugin, too?
>
> - Bert -

Certainly as part of the rewrite I have to re-architecture the browser support API. At the moment
that supports Netscape 1.x which on the macintosh under < 10.5 pushs os-9 carbon events to us.

But on 10.6+ it by default pushes cocoa events.

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882