making an avatar track a Web-cam

Howard Stearns
The youtube video below is stunning. Be sure to go through at least 1:30.

How can we either get or reproduce the tracking data from the video feed to
animate avatars in Croquet?

(I mean, like, drop everything, quit your job, and make this work in Croquet by
like next week.)

-H

Florent THIERY wrote on [hidden email]:
> We can do the same analogy with 3D avatar animation VS video stream.
> If we managed to track a user's body movement in realtime using a
> camera/webcam (as many as the avatar's degrees of liberty allow it),
> we could animate avatars without transferring the video itself,
> resulting in much lighter data flow.... That's why i'm pretty sure
> that Video_To_3D automatic reconstruction/modelization will give
> online 3D a huge boost (apart from games). Check out this awesome
> logitech video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Gn2TyEyHw

[Florent also has pointed out http://mxrtoolkit.sourceforge.net/ and
http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Membres/Lionel.Reveret/animated-speakers/index.html]

Re: making an avatar track a Web-cam

Howard Stearns
I forgot to mention, http://www.oddcast.com has had a nice little business doing
this BY HAND in 2D since 1999. Much easier to just capture it. (Try clicking
repeatedly on one of the oddcast avatars as it speaks.)

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
office:+1-608-262-3724
mobile:+1-608-658-2419

Re: making an avatar track a Web-cam

Howard Stearns
Brilliant!

It looks like the concept in Wiebe Baron's code is to just track gross movement
of colors from one 2D frame to the next.  That alone is enough to make an
avatar's head bob around to match a person in front of a camera.

I imagine the next step is to do this on pre-processed (filtered) frames to get
edges (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2411), maybe broken into separate parts by
nothing more than what region they're in.

Finally, nostrils moving closer to one side or the other of the big oval tells
you direction.

The cool 3D stuff
(http://flawedlogic.org/2007/02/25/incredible-morphable-facial-model/ and
www-evasion.imag.fr, below) is a huge step beyond that, but how much might be
achieved with just this much?

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Division of Information Technology
mailto:[hidden email]
jabber:[hidden email]
office:+1-608-262-3724
mobile:+1-608-658-2419

3D Video Avatar technology -- Silhouette by IVN, Inc.

Philippe Van Nedervelde

Check out the "Silhouette" technology by Integrated Virtual networks (IVN) -- http://www.ivn3.com/technology0.php

As I have been the Chief Operations Officer of IVN for some time, I am very familiar with the Silhouette technology, and even contributed to it to some extent. Silhouette, a patented invention by L.A. patent lawyer and IVN-founder William Benman,... is still rough around the edges, including literally. Speaking from personal experience, I can testify that it does work though.

Simply put, you point a generic webcam at the place where you normally sit. Background can be totally arbitrary, as long as there is no or very little movement in it. No blue or green background needed as with classical chromakeying. After hitting a key to set this background, you come into view and the software extracts -makes a 'silhouette' of- your (moving) video image in real time from each frame. Your moving Silhouetted video image is then transposed unto a (otherwise transparent) polygon inside a (multi-user) 3D virtual world (such as CyberTown, which William Benman bought from Blaxxun USA quite a few years ago) and your voice's audio VOIP-stream is 3D spatialized with its source roughly at the location of your head. Instead of a user's regular avatar there now is now a real-time moving video avatar. For the rest, one uses such a Silhouette video-av in just the same way as one uses regular avs.

Some notes:

- Heavily protected by patents made by the inventor who is himself a very astute patent lawyer. So, don't even think about it. Some of the relevant patents are referenced online -- see USPTO Patent # 5784546 and USPTO Patent # 5966130. Google on http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Integrated+Virtual+Networks+patent&btnG=Search

- So far, upper body only. So it -naturally- only displays (extracted and transposed) video of the parts of your body which your webcam sees. (Part of my involvement was providing a seamlessly aligning "rest-of-the-body" solution... which was not quite implemented yet the last time I used Silhouette myself.)

- The Silhouetted real-time video sprite itself is 2D -- flat video. When, inside of a 3D virtual world, you go and look around the back of a Silhouette-based avatar, you see the same video as on the front, but mirrored. (Here too, one of the original goals of my involvement was to look into and possibly develop ways of not only providing the rest of the body below the shoulders, but also in full 3D. One obvious way which was explored was mapping the real-time Silhouetted video stream unto a one-mesh-fits-all polygon mesh of a generic head & shoulders. That works relatively well for men, as long as they don't have long or big hair. For women with long or big hair, it does not work, unless you provide them with a set of template 3D meshes to drape their Silhouetted video on which roughly suit the 3D space occupied by their heirdo of that particular moment. That still results -for those cases- in an often unsatisfactory hit-or-miss solution. The variety of 3D volumes occupied by female heirdos out there is just too big a space to do justice with a small set of 3D mesh templates.

If there is interest in this from the Croquet community, I can offer to be the interface to IVN and William Benman to negoatiate a friendly licensing agreement.)

Philippe Van Nedervelde
E-SPACES
SkypeID:  philippevannedervelde
http://www.e-spaces.com/lbw/portfolio/portfolio_time.htm

Re: 3D Video Avatar technology -- Silhouette by IVN, Inc.

David P. Reed
Well, to each his own.   If you got a valid patent, good luck on
figuring out a business model beyond trolling.

The world can probably find an alternative for 17 years.

Philippe Van Nedervelde wrote:

> [...]
> big hair. For women with long or big hair, it does not work, unless
> you provide them with a set of template 3D meshes to drape their
> Silhouetted video on which roughly suit the 3D space occupied by their
> heirdo of that particular moment. That still results -for those cases-
> in an often unsatisfactory hit-or-miss solution. The variety of 3D
> volumes occupied by female heirdos out there is just too big a space
> to do justice with a small set of 3D mesh templates.
>
> If there is interest in this from the Croquet community, I can offer
> to be the interface to IVN and William Benman to negoatiate a friendly
> licensing agreement.)
>
> Philippe Van Nedervelde
> E-SPACES
> SkypeID:  philippevannedervelde
> http://www.e-spaces.com/lbw/portfolio/portfolio_time.htm

Re: 3D Video Avatar technology -- Silhouette by IVN, Inc.

Ric Moore
On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 18:58 -0400, David P. Reed wrote:
> Well, to each his own.   If you got a valid patent, good luck on
> figuring out a business model beyond trolling.
>
> The world can probably find an alternative for 17 years.
That's the RedHat/Linux approach. Stay cleanly away from patents that
aren't open-sourced. My openGL problems would go away over night if they
would release their driver code. We might consider using ogg Vorbis
instead of mp3 as there are plenty of patent disputes over this file
format. Suppose Croquet becomes wildly popular, and the mp3 guy's lawyer
comes around for the rent overdue since the beginning. It happens.
Ogg-Vorbis actually seems to be a better music format anyway. Then there
is ogg-theora for video. All free and unencumbered. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: 3D Video Avatar technology -- Silhouette by IVN, Inc.

Brad Fuller-3
Ric Moore wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 18:58 -0400, David P. Reed wrote:
>
>> Well, to each his own.   If you got a valid patent, good luck on
>> figuring out a business model beyond trolling.
>>
>> The world can probably find an alternative for 17 years.
>>
> That's the RedHat/Linux approach. Stay cleanly away from patents that
> aren't open-sourced. My openGL problems would go away over night if they
> would release their driver code. We might consider using ogg Vorbis
> instead of mp3 as there are plenty of patent disputes over this file
> format. Suppose Croquet becomes wildly popular, and the mp3 guy's lawyer
> comes around for the rent overdue since the beginning. It happens.
> Ogg-Vorbis actually seems to be a better music format anyway. Then there
> is ogg-theora for video. All free and unencumbered. Ric

+1 on ogg for audio.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com
+1 (408) 799-6124

Re: 3D Video Avatar technology -- Silhouette by IVN, Inc.

Bert Freudenberg

On Apr 4, 2007, at 1:30 , Brad Fuller wrote:

> Ric Moore wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 18:58 -0400, David P. Reed wrote:
>>
>>> Well, to each his own.   If you got a valid patent, good luck on
>>> figuring out a business model beyond trolling.
>>>
>>> The world can probably find an alternative for 17 years.
>>>
>> That's the RedHat/Linux approach. Stay cleanly away from patents that
>> aren't open-sourced. My openGL problems would go away over night
>> if they
>> would release their driver code. We might consider using ogg Vorbis
>> instead of mp3 as there are plenty of patent disputes over this file
>> format. Suppose Croquet becomes wildly popular, and the mp3 guy's
>> lawyer
>> comes around for the rent overdue since the beginning. It happens.
>> Ogg-Vorbis actually seems to be a better music format anyway. Then
>> there
>> is ogg-theora for video. All free and unencumbered. Ric
>>
> +1 on ogg for audio.

http://mailman.laptop.org/pipermail/etoys/2007-March/000468.html

Or cached since the server seems down:

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:XPuW8580N_YJ:mailman.laptop.org/
pipermail/etoys/2007-March/000468.html

- Bert -

Further re Silhouette

Philippe Van Nedervelde
David & Les,

I'm not a patent lawyer either.  (I also am not the inventor of Silhouette, nor do I own shares in IVN or presently have a business interest in Silhouette).

Imnasho, Silhouette definitely is an interesting approach to doing avs which are much more expressive than the relatively static usual avs. It works too. Kinda.

I do not know whether or not Benman's patents re his Silhouette video avatar technology hold water and would prevail in court. Given that Benman is a patent lawyer by trade, the odds are good that he did his homework properly though. I for one would not like to go to court over something invented as well as patented by a patent lawyer.

Although... I occasionally pointed out products to Benman which I thought came close to Silhouette and asked him if they infringed his patent or not. In the case of the EyeToy, for instance, he felt it did not. So far, I cannot recall a single product I pointed out to him which he felt infringed on his patent.

As to finding alternatives, that may not be necessary. I believe Benman may be persuaded to very friendly licensing terms. IVN indeed has found it relatively challenging to date to market the Silhouette license and to get it being used by any significant number of users. So a distribution platform like OpenCroquet with its ambitions of -given half a chance- even going so far as replacing the 2D web as humanity's default interface to online information and services... is definitely attractive.

Should that approach not yield satisfying results, I believe -preferably subject to verification (of the full Benman patents -- I am not sure the full text of all of them are online) by a patent lawyer- Benman's patents may not cover the case where one drapes otherwise unprocessed video of a person over a 3D mesh. I mean, where that video is the full unprocessed frame. In other words, if you use straight video without extracting the video of just the person from the background. I can think of a few ways to use that approach and essentially end up with a similar result... and perhaps yielding a result that is even better than Silhouette.

By the way -full disclosure- I presently do not work for IVN (only worked for IVN on a consultancy basis too at that) plus I own no shares in IVN or any business associated with it or William Benman. I do maintain a friendly relationship with him.

David P. Reed wrote:
Well, to each his own.   If you got a valid patent, good luck on figuring out a business model beyond trolling.

The world can probably find an alternative for 17 years.

Les wrote:
Hi, Phillippe,
	I read the two patent listings that came up on Google, and as that runs
it is a trivial extension of prior art.  The means described have been
available from a number of image manipulation packages for many years.

	I cannot argue patent applicability, as I am not an attorney, but
simply a programmer with over 3 decades of experience.

	However what I have proposed is much more complex, and may or may not
be easily produced.  It is much closer to puppet animation technology,
and matches with work done in Blender and several other 3D packages only
adding the facial tracking capability.

Regards,
Les H

Re: Further re Silhouette

David P. Reed
I am not totally opposed to patents, and have several, mostly assigned
to prior employers, as well as having some patent applications in
process.   Patents obtained by patent lawyers, however, are especially
worth being wary of, because it is unfortunately possible to construct a
patent that is less than an invention and more a gaming of the patent
system.   Lawyers can certainly invent, but if the invention is not
"useful" except as a way of collecting fees from more complete
inventions that solve the problems of making something truly useful like
a productized form, it is a bit odorous, at least to me.   Reduction to
practice has become somewhat vestigial in the patent system, whereas
once upon a time one had to show a working model and discuss how it
would really be useful.

There is standard advice to engineers given by many patent lawyers -
never do a patent search.  The reason appears to be because if it can be
shown that you had ever seen a patent that is litigated against you, you
will be liable for additional (treble?) damages - knowing infringement
is worse than accidental infringement, knowing omission of prior art in
a filing is worse than accidental omission.

Since open source code is typically licensed for free (unless one uses a
multiple license business model), and in the case of GPL has been held
to be an implicit royalty-free license for all patents embodied in the
GPL code to be used in any legitimate use of the code, the engineer
should probably take even greater pains to avoid *knowing*
infringement.   Thus, I try to avoid reading about patents, and suggest
that others try to avoid that as well.   There is no duty to read the
patent literature, and lots of risk, apparently.

> [...]

> David P. Reed wrote:
>> Well, to each his own.   If you got a valid patent, good luck on
>> figuring out a business model beyond trolling.
>>
>> The world can probably find an alternative for 17 years.
>>
> Les wrote:
> Hi, Phillippe,
> I read the two patent listings that came up on Google, and as that runs
> it is a trivial extension of prior art.  The means described have been
> available from a number of image manipulation packages for many years.
>
> I cannot argue patent applicability, as I am not an attorney, but
> simply a programmer with over 3 decades of experience.
>
> However what I have proposed is much more complex, and may or may not
> be easily produced.  It is much closer to puppet animation technology,
> and matches with work done in Blender and several other 3D packages only

Re: Further re Silhouette

David A Smith
I have been following that rule as well. It is a real pain. What do you
think about the PTO posting pending patents for open comment? In theory,
this would give us experts a chance to weigh in on a patent before it is
actually granted. However, if you follow the corporate "don't look"
model, this puts you in just as much jeapardy. Does HP or other big
hi-tech companies have a policy about this?

You never write anymore...

David

David P. Reed wrote:

> [...]
>>> Well, to each his own.   If you got a valid patent, good luck on
>>> figuring out a business model beyond trolling.
>>>
>>> The world can probably find an alternative for 17 years.
>>>
>> Les wrote:
>> Hi, Phillippe,
>>     I read the two patent listings that came up on Google, and as
>> that runs
>> it is a trivial extension of prior art.  The means described have been
>> available from a number of image manipulation packages for many years.
>>
>>     I cannot argue patent applicability, as I am not an attorney, but
>> simply a programmer with over 3 decades of experience.
>>     However what I have proposed is much more complex, and may or may
>> not
>> be easily produced.  It is much closer to puppet animation technology,
>> and matches with work done in Blender and several other 3D packages only

Further re Silhouette

Philippe Van Nedervelde
Comments in context below.

David P. Reed wrote:
I am not totally opposed to patents, and have several, mostly assigned to prior employers, as well as having some patent applications in process.
PVN: Same here.

Patents obtained by patent lawyers, however, are especially worth being wary of, because it is unfortunately possible to construct a patent that is less than an invention and more a gaming of the patent system.   Lawyers can certainly invent, but if the invention is not "useful" except as a way of collecting fees from more complete inventions that solve the problems of making something truly useful like a productized form, it is a bit odorous, at least to me.
PVN: "My" patent lawyers (not Benman's office) also educated me re some less than edifying practices by patent lawyers gaming the system. To the best of my experience and understanding, that did not and does not apply to Benman. To his credit, his personal interest in 3D graphics, multi-user virtual worlds, metaverses etc. long predates his filing of these patents. Importantly, instead of squatting his patents, he has nearly bankrupted himself in paying out of his own pocket for virtually all of the actual development (and marketing etc.) of the Silhouette technology, the Nexos platform etc. His acquisition of CyberTown from Blaxxun -again paid for from his own pocket- also testifies in favor of his genuine, personally invested, long-standing interest in online VR as a platform for community-building, education, as business and as a technology. I believe he also has a degree in electronic engineering or such... and has filed patent for other inventions of his own. I even seem to recall that he originally got interest in (patent) law because he had had some ideas as an engineering student or before... which he wanted to patent.

[...]

Since open source code is typically licensed for free (unless one uses a multiple license business model), and in the case of GPL has been held to be an implicit royalty-free license for all patents embodied in the GPL code to be used in any legitimate use of the code, the engineer should probably take even greater pains to avoid *knowing* infringement.   Thus, I try to avoid reading about patents, and suggest that others try to avoid that as well.   There is no duty to read the patent literature, and lots of risk, apparently.
PVN: Makes a lot of good sense to me.

Bringing all this back home: how about combining the best of the "puppeteering-by-webcam" method with the "video-draped-over-a-static-3D-mesh" approaches?  The net result would be an av made of a rigged mesh sporting a live video texture of the webcam-user... and this rigged mesh would make certain movements and deformations  driven by puppeteering-info gotten from the very same webcam feed.

For example, the nostrils-within-oval could be used for changing the direction of gaze of the deformable mesh, thereby altering the 3D surface onto which the live video of the person -looking left or right as might be the case- is displayed. Note that to get satisfying results, one may want to not only deform the 3D mesh, but also the video itself, so as to help the video stay registered on key points -pupils, nose-tip and chin for instance- with corresponding locations on the deformable 3D mesh.

To further enhance fidelity, an approach using 2 web-cameras looking at the face of the user from two different (but set and thus known) angles, would likely yield even better results.

I cannot recall anybody doing that or trying that, so this would be a novel approach which was arrived at collaboratively here on this list. seems to me it would yield the most expressive avatars yet.

~ Philippe ~

Re: Further re Silhouette

David P. Reed
HP's policy about reading patent filings posted for comment is not clear
to me.   I should ask, and if there is a policy, I might be able to
comment on it.  Perhaps there are no corporate policies yet.   I often
ask these questions and get asked what I think.

If I am asked about a specific patent or filing because someone wants to
challenge it or assert it against me, I will read it and suggest prior
art, etc.

Of course there is an obvious risk there.   I happen to have (along with
others from my research group at Interval) a patent that is very close
(if not directly reading on) Microsoft's SenseCam, which is being
developed by my friend Gordon Bell's group at MS.  So, out of a sense of
the complex ironies involved, I have repeatedly sent links to that
patent to Gordon and others at MS when they talk about this in the usual
Wired Mag hype outlets.  One side effect of that is that if Gordon's
team subsequently gets a patent or deploys the tech without referencing
the patent, there is evidence of "knowing".  Of course, my view is that
it's better than "submarining" the patent and then asking for billions
when it works.

The deeper point comes close to home, because I spent a few months of my
life defending Lotus against the "Refac" patent (the first software
patent granted, on a poorly documented implementation of the Topological
Sort algorithm that dates back to 1934 in mathematical literature, but
which was granted, apparently under the idea that "reasonable skill in
the art of programming" means that the inventor need not have studied
any math textbooks - that would have been "genius" skill according to
patent lawyers - patents are to protect ignorant inventors against those
who study math).   And I also found myself being asked to help defend
against a patent that was literally plagiarized phrase by phrase from my
Master's thesis by a strange series of events at Data General in the 1980's.

So the patent system is just full of wonderful and brilliant lawyers.