managing windows in squeak

peter h meadows
Hi. I'm new to smalltalk and squeak. I'd like to know how experienced
users manage the windows when programming with squeak. I often have a lot
of windows open and struggle to find the right one. Are there keyboard
shortcuts for switching between windows? Is it possible to program without
using the mouse at all? Does squeak have 'virtual desktops' or something
like that?

Re: managing windows in squeak

cedreek
Hi Peter

> Hi. I'm new to smalltalk and squeak. I'd like to know how experienced users
> manage the windows when programming with squeak. I often have a lot of
> windows open and struggle to find the right one. Are there keyboard
> shortcuts for switching between windows?

There are some if you load key mappers packages
(http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1844). I find not very useful  (maily
because not intuitive, usual) though but I haven't spent lot of time
investigating.

> Is it possible to program without
> using the mouse at all?

Nope, as far as I know and this is quite annoying ! I'd love to have
such a possibility... or maybe just a touch-screen :)

> Does squeak have 'virtual desktops' or something
> like that?

Not really, Maybe you can use projects for that and switch between
them, but I don't

There seem to be only negative answers... you have a window menu where
there are several nice options, like collapse all, close all... This
menu is accessible through the open menu.

I also find UIEnhancement quite handy mainly because of the lower bar
where all windows can be minimized and also there is an overview (a la
vista) when passing the mouse over them (search UIEnhancement in
squeaksource). Also, I always use the double click on the upper border
that maximizes windows. I only work on maximized windows. Actually I'm
thinking tweaking my images so that all windows opens maximized.

Hope this is of some kind of help. I'm pretty sure you can get some
keyboard mapping eeasily too.

Cheers,

Cédrick

Re: managing windows in squeak

Michael Davies-2
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM, cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I also find UIEnhancement quite handy mainly because of the lower bar
>  where all windows can be minimized and also there is an overview (a la
>  vista) when passing the mouse over them (search UIEnhancement in
>  squeaksource).

UI Enhancements also gives you Cmd-LeftArrow and Cmd-RightArrow to
switch between windows

Re: managing windows in squeak

David Mitchell-10
For Squeak, I like keyboards with a pointing device nearby.
Particularly like the pointing stick keyboards.

A lot of interaction seems to require the mouse a little here and there.

The popup menus are great though, especially that you can type any
part of the menu text to narrow down the selection.

I pop new windows like crazy and then use windows, delete unchanged
windows, a lot. I also make a browser window and a Monticello window
uncloseable (so they don't close easily).

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:16 AM, peter h meadows <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi. I'm new to smalltalk and squeak. I'd like to know how experienced users
> manage the windows when programming with squeak. I often have a lot of
> windows open and struggle to find the right one. Are there keyboard
> shortcuts for switching between windows? Is it possible to program without
> using the mouse at all? Does squeak have 'virtual desktops' or something
> like that?

Re: managing windows in squeak

Herbert König
Hello Peter,

phm> Hi. I'm new to smalltalk and squeak. I'd like to know how experienced
phm> users manage the windows when programming with squeak. I often have a lot
phm> of windows open and struggle to find the right one. Are there keyboard
to have less windows:

Using Explorer (Alt Shift I on Win) instead of Inspector can save
Windows but has no auto update.

Tracing Messages Browser has a hierarchical senders / implementors
list in its top window and the selected method in the bottom window.
Find it on www.squeaksource.com, navigate to projects and search for
tracing.

I'm still on 3.8, don't know if it works in later versions.

phm> Does squeak have 'virtual desktops' or something
phm> like that?

I use projects for that. The context menu has an entry "personalize"
there you can find how to jump to a project. I customised it to jump
to my projects. Each project usually has about two browsers and two
workspaces open. If you disable "project zoom" in preferences (World
menu, appearence, preferences) the switching between projects is fast.

And don't forget to look into Damien Cassous's dev images which have a
lot of tools for development pre installed.
http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html

Herbert

Re: managing windows in squeak

Chris Kassopulo-2
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:17:17 +0200, Herbert König wrote:

> Tracing Messages Browser has a hierarchical senders / implementors list
> in its top window and the selected method in the bottom window. Find it
> on www.squeaksource.com, navigate to projects and search for tracing.
>
> I'm still on 3.8, don't know if it works in later versions.

Hello Herbert,

How do you start Tracing Messages Browser?
I have it installed in a 3.9 image but can't figure out how to run it.

Chris

Re: Re: managing windows in squeak

Herbert König
Hello Chris,

CK> How do you start Tracing Messages Browser?
CK> I have it installed in a 3.9 image but can't figure out how to run it.

it just changes the function of senders / implementors in the normal
Browser. In some time I had a problem by using the buttons in the
Browser, I had to use Alt m after selecting a method. There was a fix
from Marcus Denker which corrected this in RB.

If you are in the TMB the senders.. buttons work as expected. If you
select a method with may senders you can drag over the unwanted ones
in the top pane, shift right click and select "remove from this
Browser".

Herbert

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:49:16 +0200, Herbert König wrote:

> CK> How do you start Tracing Messages Browser? CK> I have it installed
> in a 3.9 image but can't figure out how to run it.
>
> it just changes the function of senders / implementors in the normal
> Browser. In some time I had a problem by using the buttons in the
> Browser, I had to use Alt m after selecting a method. There was a fix
> from Marcus Denker which corrected this in RB.
>
> If you are in the TMB the senders.. buttons work as expected. If you
> select a method with may senders you can drag over the unwanted ones in
> the top pane, shift right click and select "remove from this Browser".

I was expecting a whole different browser.

The latest version from Monticello works well in 3.9:
    Tracing Messages Browser-cmm.19

Dependencies:
    Ma base additions-cmm.34
    Ma exception handling-cmm.12