meeting today for arranging media links for MMOX BOF meeting

meeting today for arranging media links for MMOX BOF meeting

LawsonEnglish
Hey all, sorry this is being sent out so late but we arranged the time
at the last second.

Background:

mmox is a proposed working group for the IETF that will have a Birds of
Feather meeting in March at the IETF 74 meeting.

mmox stands for "Massively Multiplayer Online X" [stuff] and is meant to
be a general working group to design interoperability protocols between
various virtual worlds.

A meeting will be held today (Wed, Feb 18, 2009) at 4PM Pacific Coast
Time in a Second Life venue to discuss the details/requirements for
setting up 2-way video streaming of the March BOF meeting to/from
participating virtual worlds.

Media stream meeting:

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Levenhall/89/205/105

The info about MMOX is found here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MMOX

Hope someone can attend and sorry for the last second notification. The
BOF meeting is still in the BOF planning stages... ;-)

Lawson English (Saijanai Kuhn in Second Life)

Re: meeting today for arranging media links for MMOX BOF meeting

Mark P. McCahill-2
I can attend - Mysterio Sinister is my name in SL

On Feb 18, 2009, at 4:08 PM, Lawson English wrote:

> Hey all, sorry this is being sent out so late but we arranged the
> time at the last second.
>

> Background:
>
> mmox is a proposed working group for the IETF that will have a Birds
> of Feather meeting in March at the IETF 74 meeting.
>
> mmox stands for "Massively Multiplayer Online X" [stuff] and is
> meant to be a general working group to design interoperability
> protocols between various virtual worlds.
>
> A meeting will be held today (Wed, Feb 18, 2009) at 4PM Pacific
> Coast Time in a Second Life venue to discuss the details/
> requirements for setting up 2-way video streaming of the March BOF
> meeting to/from participating virtual worlds.
>

> Media stream meeting:
>
> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Levenhall/89/205/105
>
> The info about MMOX is found here:
>
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MMOX
>
> Hope someone can attend and sorry for the last second notification.
> The BOF meeting is still in the BOF planning stages... ;-)
>

> Lawson English (Saijanai Kuhn in Second Life)

Re: meeting today for arranging media links for MMOX BOF meeting

Infinity Linden
hey mark! long time, no see!

        would be happy to have you attend, but i should warn people the
semantics of attending the meeting are "i volunteer to help."

it's been a while since i was on croquet-dev, so i don't know if
people have the background...

        linden lab and ibm have pulled together an ietf bof session to get
input from the community re: forming an ietf working group for
publishing application layer wire protocols for virtual world
interoperability.

        the time and location of the bof at the 74th ietf meeting in san
francisco is noted at: http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/74/calendar

                (on the calendar page, scroll down to the afternoon of the 24th,
where you'll see the mmox bof meeting listed)

        we have a draft charter at: http://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki/MmoxCharter

about the meeting today

        the ietf has in the past broadcasted video of face to face meetings
over the net, though it is not common practice.

        we have the requisite equipment for streaming video from the meeting
via rtsp

                this means you don't have to be in a virtual world to see it, but
opensim and second life support rendering rtsp video streams "in world"

        and we believe we have a solution (in terms of technology and
process) for getting comments / questions flowing into the meeting.

        the meeting is to discuss the precise details of the solution

        peeps should keep in mind that we still have to check site bandwidth
at the facility, and double check with the ietf "powers that be" that
our solution is copacetic

        minutes will be taken and distributed and comments will be solicited
on the mmox mailing list (so if you miss the meeting, it doesn't mean
you can't comment)

        if you show up at the meeting, you are implicitly volunteering to
assist in distributing the video feed to {fill in the name of your
favorite virtual world here} and getting commentary from that virtual
world into the non-virtual face to face meeting

questions or commens should probably come to me directly ([hidden email]
), i'm no longer on the croquet-dev list

-cheers
-meadhbh hamrick (aka infinity linden)

On Feb 18, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Mark P. McCahill wrote:

> I can attend - Mysterio Sinister is my name in SL
>

> On Feb 18, 2009, at 4:08 PM, Lawson English wrote:
>
>> Hey all, sorry this is being sent out so late but we arranged the
>> time at the last second.
>>

>> Background:
>>
>> mmox is a proposed working group for the IETF that will have a
>> Birds of Feather meeting in March at the IETF 74 meeting.
>>
>> mmox stands for "Massively Multiplayer Online X" [stuff] and is
>> meant to be a general working group to design interoperability
>> protocols between various virtual worlds.
>>
>> A meeting will be held today (Wed, Feb 18, 2009) at 4PM Pacific
>> Coast Time in a Second Life venue to discuss the details/
>> requirements for setting up 2-way video streaming of the March BOF
>> meeting to/from participating virtual worlds.
>>

>> Media stream meeting:
>>
>> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Levenhall/89/205/105
>>
>> The info about MMOX is found here:
>>
>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MMOX
>>
>> Hope someone can attend and sorry for the last second notification.
>> The BOF meeting is still in the BOF planning stages... ;-)
>>

>> Lawson English (Saijanai Kuhn in Second Life)

Re: meeting today for arranging media links for MMOX BOF meeting

LawsonEnglish
Hey all, sorry about lateness of announcement, but the meeting went
rather well:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MMOX/Chat_Logs/2009-2-19

for more info: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MMOX

See you at the mmox in some way or another.

Lawson