'method source with it' generates 'Error: RemoteString past end of file'

'method source with it' generates 'Error: RemoteString past end of file'

espin
Hi all,
in order to investigate where WeakFinalizationList and
WeakFinalizerItem where used in
latest Trunk I issued 'method source with it' on the relevant string
but got a dialog with
'Error: RemoteString past end of file' as in attached dump.

This is reproducible using Squeak4.2-10160-alpha as from Squeak Trunk ftp [1]
and also updating it to latest Trunk; the VM I used is
   Squeak 4.2.5beta1U (Squeak VM 4.2.5b1)

Is this a bug in the VM?
Hope it helps
Bye
Enrico

[1] http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/
--
Enrico Spinielli
"Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"— Philip K. Dick

SqueakDebug.log (5K) Download Attachment

Re: 'method source with it' generates 'Error: RemoteString past end of file'

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Enrico Spinielli wrote:

> Hi all,
> in order to investigate where WeakFinalizationList and
> WeakFinalizerItem where used in
> latest Trunk I issued 'method source with it' on the relevant string
> but got a dialog with
> 'Error: RemoteString past end of file' as in attached dump.
>
> This is reproducible using Squeak4.2-10160-alpha as from Squeak Trunk ftp [1]
> and also updating it to latest Trunk; the VM I used is
>   Squeak 4.2.5beta1U (Squeak VM 4.2.5b1)
>
> Is this a bug in the VM?
No, your sources file seems to be shorter than it should be. It's size
should be 26002240 bytes. Print this to see the size:
(SourceFiles at: 1) size.

Levente

> Hope it helps
> Bye
> Enrico
>
> [1] http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/
> --
> Enrico Spinielli
> "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"˙˙ Philip K. Dick
> "Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."˙˙Mitchel Resnick

Re: 'method source with it' generates 'Error: RemoteString past end of file'

espin
Levente,
I re-downloaded the sources from Squeak ftp and all works fine: effectively
my .sources were smaller...why I do not know...maybe I copied from a Windows
machine with different line terminating chars?
I wonder ...

Anyway thanks a lot and sorry for the fuss
Bye
Enrico

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Enrico Spinielli wrote:

> Levente,
> I re-downloaded the sources from Squeak ftp and all works fine: effectively
> my .sources were smaller...why I do not know...maybe I copied from a Windows
> machine with different line terminating chars?
> I wonder ...

There was a release candidate (called 4.1.1) which included a shorter
sources file with the same name (SqueakV41.sources). It's size was
25912908 bytes. Maybe you were using the VM+sources file from that RC.

Levente

> Anyway thanks a lot and sorry for the fuss
> Bye
> Enrico
>

> 2010/8/12 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Enrico Spinielli wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> in order to investigate where WeakFinalizationList and
>>> WeakFinalizerItem where used in
>>> latest Trunk I issued 'method source with it' on the relevant string
>>> but got a dialog with
>>> 'Error: RemoteString past end of file' as in attached dump.
>>>
>>> This is reproducible using Squeak4.2-10160-alpha as from Squeak Trunk ftp
>>> [1]
>>> and also updating it to latest Trunk; the VM I used is
>>>  Squeak 4.2.5beta1U (Squeak VM 4.2.5b1)
>>>
>>> Is this a bug in the VM?
>>
>> No, your sources file seems to be shorter than it should be. It's size
>> should be 26002240 bytes. Print this to see the size:
>> (SourceFiles at: 1) size.
>>

>> Levente
>>
>>> Hope it helps
>>> Bye
>>> Enrico
>>>
>>> [1] http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/
>>> --
>>> Enrico Spinielli
>>> "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"˙˙ Philip K. Dick
>>> "Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."˙˙Mitchel Resnick
>>

> --
> Enrico Spinielli
> "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"˙˙ Philip K. Dick
> "Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."˙˙Mitchel Resnick

Re: 'method source with it' generates 'Error: RemoteString past end of file'

espin
indeed