minimal croquet for OLPC?

Chris DiGiano
I'd like to create an interactive 3D / 2.5D application for the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Computer. Does anyone know if the machine will be able to handle Croquet? Does anyone have experience creating a minimal Croquet image?

Chris

Chris DiGiano, Ph.D.
Center for Technology in Learning <http://ctl.sri.com>
SRI International
Visiting Researcher, Univ. of Colorado at Boulder

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: minimal croquet for OLPC?

Brad Fuller
Chris DiGiano wrote:
> I'd like to create an interactive 3D / 2.5D application for the One
> Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Computer. Does anyone know if the machine will
> be able to handle Croquet? Does anyone have experience creating a
> minimal Croquet image?
It's just a 2D machine. No 3D acceleration., AFAIK.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: minimal croquet for OLPC?

Bert Freudenberg
On Nov 13, 2006, at 18:13 , Chris DiGiano wrote:

> I'd like to create an interactive 3D / 2.5D application for the One
> Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Computer. Does anyone know if the machine
> will be able to handle Croquet? Does anyone have experience
> creating a minimal Croquet image?

There is no OpenGL support on the machine. I tried Squeak's software
3D renderer, but it is as slow as expected given the hardware. So you
definitely want to use 2D.

There is a version of Tweak built on top of Croquet without any 3D,
you would have to ask Andreas for that. This might be a reasonable
candidate to try for OLPC. You can still get a so-called "A-Test"
OLPC developer board which has pretty much the same performance
numbers as the final machine.

- Bert -

Re: minimal croquet for OLPC?

Darius Clarke
Hi Chris,

I believe the OLPC is designed to be used online, connected to the internet most of the time. If your 3D 2.5D doesn't need to be run locally and isn't dependent on low latency (i.e. first person shooter), then (perhaps) the 3D can be video streamed from a powerful hosted server running something like Croquet and interactive input returned through normal web page interface widgets.

Cheers,
Darius

Re: minimal croquet for OLPC?

Chris DiGiano
A crazy idea, but worth keeping in mind. Thanks!

Chris

On Nov 13, 2006, at 12:57 PM, Darius Clarke wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I believe the OLPC is designed to be used online, connected to the
> internet most of the time. If your 3D 2.5D doesn't need to be run
> locally and isn't dependent on low latency (i.e. first person
> shooter), then (perhaps) the 3D can be video streamed from a
> powerful hosted server running something like Croquet and
> interactive input returned through normal web page interface widgets.
>
> Cheers,
> Darius

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: minimal croquet for OLPC?

Chris DiGiano
I've started looking into Tweak on your suggestion. This looks very
promising, since I could probably get away with Tweak 2D and then use
some canned animations to give the feel of things "flipping over" and
such. I will try and track down Andreas to find out how he slimmed
down Croquet. Being fairly new to Squeak, perhaps you could also tell
me if there are any generic tools for reliably stripping an image
down to only the necessary classes to support a project?

Chris