minimum code wait--translations of "saving the world is not enough"

1 message Options

minimum code wait--translations of "saving the world is not enough"

Paul Sheldon-2
Having been in international colleges (dorms with frustrated natives
attempting to translate into English), I can sort of guess what someone
in a foreign wiki is trying to say in constructing English with bad
command of the grammar.

To some extent, this involves forgiving my mind for not "getting" the
bad grammatical constructions and permitting my mind to make its own
constructions.

To a writer/programmer, even his own bad English is a blessing, as it
means he has work to do and things are going to get better .

Abe Arkoff speaks of the social self that, in defense mechanisms,
projects fault finding on those who they fear may find fault. In
particular, in the link I gave (from the tutorials Monica mentioned
awhile back), Americo might find fault because he was bold enough to
write a wiki and give it away for better writers of English who did not,
themselves, dare yet . So, the Arkoff defense mechanism would be to find
fault with his English .

To paraphrase to us rabbits : "Take the clut out of thine own viewpoint"
(though I think the opening page was Americo's gag about Viewpoint
Research's supposed viewpoint).

I have broken past my fears of not being able to mind read grammar
construct to getting into description of the smalltalk grammar which is
a multi-language universal for OLPC.

http://www.dmu.com/crb/crb5.html

"A group of Smalltalk Classes (including methods etc.) is called: an
image. Different "images" of Smaltalk can be distributed by different
companies, user groups, entities etc. By example: the image distributed
by the group "Squeakland" is different of that distributed by the group
"Croquet". If YOU create new subClasses and/or methods, you can save
your work (we call this a "big save" - we will talk about this soon)
creating YOUR "image"."

Well, so what the Brazilian mispelled and used bad grammar, eg. "By
example". If he talks about the big save, he'll also talk about the
little saves. Just imagine a kind fellow with a foreign accent trying to
explain something obscure to you and you just might understand; I did.

Having broken past my initial fears that always begin learning/trying
something new, I might, however, get stuck in what I call "editorial
mode" and not be able to continue reading where the author comes into
his own and is in the universal language. I might consider myself
invested in rewriting rather than simply "understanding" for myself .

There must be a balance in such things or you go to movies and just
critique, don't enjoy them, provide extremely dry company and never get
any dates, even with imaginary people.

;-)

My studies of languages was not so I could think in the language, but
rather understand what people were trying to say translating into my
mother tongue, to do science rather than be an English major and compete
with Garrison Keeler (who I like immensely) on our National Public
Radio's Prairie Home Companion. I may not be "good" at my own mother
tongue to those who don't also wish to "understand".

Yesterday, I took patches from wikipedia and Wolfram Mathworld to solve
a so called Brachistochrone problem "my" way. The reference staged the
mathematics in a human machine, an integrand didn't have a variable, x,
so a theorem was invoked involving prerequisite courses to structure the
solution.

Well, hoooorah.

Instead, I confirmed the parametric solution so obtained knowing
ultimately I would have the apparatus in computer algebra rather than my
head to get a parametric solution with a one liner if I didn't get
bogged down with a historical human apparatus invested in itself .

The investments of people might have them arrogantly claim that they
"define" what "understanding" is. One must guard one's individual
freedom to "understanding" for one's self or a life can become joyless
seeking of approval of folks who make their living disapproving .

In a sense, one must be Cocky, in that theme song I proposed .

Euler and Lagrange invented the Brachistochrone problem, Leibnitz and
Newton fought over who had really understood it first, some guy with a
lake house remarked in banal politeness to my frustrations with it at a
jazz concert : "I suppose there must be some sort of use for it", while
the fictional spiderman 2 knew it was "of use"; dang, it led to the
calculous.

;-)

I'm getting the syntax!

atta boy Americo.