motion capture

Paul Sheldon-2
Director's cut on "The Mummy" shows the complexity
is a bit more than a single camera.

Years ago, seven cameras and retroreflective balls for dancers
ala Merce Cunningham.

I recall something (retroreflectors) had to be put on the face in "The
Mummy".

Long ago, Texas Instruments had a lunch colloquium
on such motion abstraction capture bandwidth compression
from a visiting prof of which I recall nothing.
They would recall.

Re: motion capture

Joshua Gargus-2

On Apr 3, 2007, at 11:07 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Director's cut on "The Mummy" shows the complexity
> is a bit more than a single camera.
>
> Years ago, seven cameras and retroreflective balls for dancers
> ala Merce Cunningham.
>
> I recall something (retroreflectors) had to be put on the face in "The
> Mummy".
>
> Long ago, Texas Instruments had a lunch colloquium
> on such motion abstraction capture bandwidth compression
> from a visiting prof of which I recall nothing.
> They would recall.

Was this the project that the prof discussed?

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~okan/papers/s2006/compression.html

Josh

Re: motion capture

Paul Sheldon-2
Joshua Gargus wrote :
"Was this the project that the prof discussed?
.../s2006/..."

No. Texas Instruments stopped lunch seminars before 1999
and this is more recent.
Since it was only one lunch seminar back then, I have vague recall.
I suspect image/audio understanding systems
for compression were the theme of the professor
(off an old polemic I read of at Stanford between image deblurring
early brain radiations and high level topological scene description
as being "the right stuff").
I believe they were mainly interested in faces,
so it might not even be the same people.
Texas Instruments, my intuition says, "changed".
Parts of TI were bought by more secretive folks.
They don't have public/scholar lunch seminars anymore.
They were helpful, recently tome, in giving links to DLP.
I wouldn't ask, especially since Joshua Gargus's link
is so much more current. I figured someone else more connected
could make effective inquiry if needed.

Maya used to have interface research links.