mp3 support in 3.10

smith02243
When I had installed 3.9 on my Linux box, I saw the MPEGPlayerMorph. However, sound did not work on 3.9 in ubuntu. So, with the help of the fedora image, I installed 3.10. Everything worked beautifully, except that the MPEGPlayerMorph was no longer there. I understand it's been culled from the image.

How can I install the MPEGPlayerMorph, or more specifically the StreamingMP3Sound class? StreamingMP3Sound is in the Sound-Synthesis category, and therefore the Sound package, apparently. Yet, in Monticello the Sound package, on souce.squeakfoundation.org/310, doesn't contain that class. Moreover, I can't find it the Package Universe Browser, even with I install "universes" from the SqueakMap Package Loader, which one site recommended

I am completely lost. All I want to do is play mp3 files.

Regards,

Re: mp3 support in 3.10

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 7/1/08 12:54 PM, "smith02243" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> When I had installed 3.9 on my Linux box, I saw the MPEGPlayerMorph. However,
> sound did not work on 3.9 in ubuntu. So, with the help of the fedora image,
> I installed 3.10. Everything worked beautifully, except that the
> MPEGPlayerMorph was no longer there. I understand it's been culled from the
> image.
>
> How can I install the MPEGPlayerMorph, or more specifically the
> StreamingMP3Sound class? StreamingMP3Sound is in the Sound-Synthesis
> category, and therefore the Sound package, apparently. Yet, in Monticello
> the Sound package, on souce.squeakfoundation.org/310, doesn't contain that
> class. Moreover, I can't find it the Package Universe Browser, even with I
> install "universes" from the SqueakMap Package Loader, which one site
> recommended
>
> I am completely lost. All I want to do is play mp3 files.

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6056
have the answer, if have questions send mail or try to find me on #squeak
IRC.

By the way, also on the page is how to have IRC on the image,

And remember.
Read the swiki, read the Squeak by example book

Edgar

Re: mp3 support in 3.10

smith02243
Thank you. I installed the .pr file and it worked fine, though when I installed it complained about a missing primitive, but that didn't seem to bother it too much.

When I tried to install the tests and IRC client on that page, however, I came across a "UndefinedObject-Kernel Objects PR" error. I put the URL of the Ladrillos server page in Monticello, though, and it worked fine. I gained the classes for the IRC client. I assume one has to construct the application oneself, as no object comes with it, from what I can tell.

It seems a little odd that to installing previously included packages one has to search the wiki for the functionality you need, chose the "SqueakLightII Unofficial 3.11", work out the server location for all the culled packages, enter that into Monticello, and then install it. Shouldn't there be an easier way? This is hardly user friendly.

I have read Squeak by Example, and am half way through another book on smalltalk, and I will start to use the wiki from now on. It's just a little sad I have to go through this labyrinth to find what I'm looking for.

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote

El 7/2/08 3:14 PM, "smith02243" <[hidden email]> escribió:
> I installed the .pr file and it worked fine, though when I
> installed it complained about a missing primitive, but that didn't seem to
> bother it too much.

I put the explain on the wiki page.
I test and was listening my music when I saved, so I guess the info about my
file was saved also and of course in a different computer could't be
loacated.

If you have the SqueakDebug.log for each complain the image , please send me
as is a very valuable way to polish.

> When I tried to install the tests and IRC client on that page, however, I
> came across a "UndefinedObject-Kernel Objects PR" error. I put the URL of
> the Ladrillos server page in Monticello, though, and it worked fine. I
> gained the classes for the IRC client. I assume one has to construct the
> application oneself, as no object comes with it, from what I can tell.

To this seems you don't load the last updates for SqueakLightII  from
server.
Again the SqueakDebug.log tell me some like

>> Error: Instances of UPackage are not indexable
>> 2 July 2008 11:04:56 am
>>
>> VM: Mac OS - a SmalltalkImage
>> Image: SqueakLight|II [latest update: #7191]
>>
>> SecurityManager state:
>> Restricted: false
>> FileAccess: true
>> SocketAccess: true
>> Working Dir Discovery:Users:admin:SqueakDevelop:SqueakLightII
>> Trusted Dir Discovery:Users:admin:SqueakDevelop:SqueakLightII
>> Untrusted Dir Discovery:Users:admin:Library:Preferences:Squeak:Internet:My
>> Squeak
>>
>> UPackage(Object)>>error:
>>     Receiver: an UPackage
>>     Arguments and temporary variables:
>>         aString:     'Instances of UPackage are not indexable'
>>     Receiver's instance variables:
>>         name:     'Shout'
>>         version:     an UVersion
>>         category:     an UPackageCategory
>> stroke so that th...etc...
>>         provides:     a Set()
>>         depends:     a Set('NewCompiler')
>>         url:     http://www.squeaksource.com/shout/Shout.3.15-tween.65.mcz
>>         homepage:     http://www.squeaksource.com/shout/
>>         maintainer:     ''
>>         squeakMapID:     nil

 >It seems a little odd that to installing previously included packages one
> has to search the wiki for the functionality you need, chose the
> "SqueakLightII Unofficial 3.11", work out the server location for all the
> culled packages, enter that into Monticello, and then install it. Shouldn't
> there be an easier way? This is hardly user friendly.

I on the way of having a "microUniverses" functionality for SqueakLightII
(see above)
You could be asked which packages you wish and a menu of package versions
the universes know for you choose and load.

I plan update the wiki page often and you could see the status from inside
of the image.

Being smaller and more modular means many you have on 3.9 or 3.10 lives out
of the image now.

In your case, you load mp3 and irc, but maybe another guy only loads the
LightWeb4.sar and have his own Comanche server.
Or could load the full Seaside +Plus.
Or load Etoys and nothing web related, etc.

Remember, is usable but still alpha.

Edgar