muO screencast

Stéphane Rollandin
hello,

I have started making screencasts demonstrating the muO system for
experimental musical composition, currently based on Squeak 3.8

here is the reading by a thorough user (myself :) of a piece of
interactive documentation:

http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/muo/tour1/tour.html

Re: muO screencast

Ian Trudel-2
Stéphane,

The same presentation with sound would have been incredible. You'd
have to agree that it's bit weird to present a musical composition
system by its look only. The first thing I want to know when I look at
it is what kind of sounds and music it produces. :)

Ian.

http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: muO screencast

Stéphane Rollandin
> The same presentation with sound would have been incredible. You'd
> have to agree that it's bit weird to present a musical composition
> system by its look only. The first thing I want to know when I look at
> it is what kind of sounds and music it produces. :)

yeah, I know it's ridiculous. the problem is that I cannot record sound
along with screen on my lousy computer :(

Re: muO screencast

Ian Trudel-2
2010/4/2 Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:
>> The same presentation with sound would have been incredible. You'd
>> have to agree that it's bit weird to present a musical composition
>> system by its look only. The first thing I want to know when I look at
>> it is what kind of sounds and music it produces. :)
>
> yeah, I know it's ridiculous. the problem is that I cannot record sound
> along with screen on my lousy computer :(

I understand. You could perhaps add a music created by muO as a
background music to the video. A simple video editing software would
allow you to do that even on a lousy computer. It's better than
nothing, really. Nothing is awful.

Ian.
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: muO screencast

LawsonEnglish
Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

> hello,
>
> I have started making screencasts demonstrating the muO system for
> experimental musical composition, currently based on Squeak 3.8
>
> here is the reading by a thorough user (myself :) of a piece of
> interactive documentation:
>
> http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/muo/tour1/tour.html
>
> Stef

That will be a killer iPad app, especially if you can add voice-over
annotations for the tutorials.

Lawson

Re: muO screencast

Squeak List
i don't exactly understand the "ridiculous" part...

what "lousy computer" are you using to make such an interesting program? just curious of your setup.

i will try to follow along this weekend and see what it sounds like.

mostly - THANK YOU... you are finding ways to make this more interesting than it already was.

BRAVO!!!

ken

2010/4/2 Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:
>> The same presentation with sound would have been incredible. You'd
>> have to agree that it's bit weird to present a musical composition
>> system by its look only. The first thing I want to know when I look at
>> it is what kind of sounds and music it produces. :)
>
> yeah, I know it's ridiculous. the problem is that I cannot record sound
> along with screen on my lousy computer :(

I understand. You could perhaps add a music created by muO as a
background music to the video. A simple video editing software would
allow you to do that even on a lousy computer. It's better than
nothing, really. Nothing is awful.

Ian.
--
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: muO screencast

Stéphane Rollandin
> especially if you can add voice-over
> annotations for the tutorials.

I agree in priciple (despite my strong french accent), but here the
tutorial is only an interactive perusing of some already existing
written documentation; what would be the point in a voice-over repeating
what is written and can be read easily just by hitting the pause button ?

The real documentation is in the muO image, and is much more fun than a
screencast...

regards,

Re: muO screencast

Stéphane Rollandin
> I understand. You could perhaps add a music created by muO as a
> background music to the video.

About the "music created by muO" part: muO is best seen as an ecosystem
of reified musical concepts and representations, that requires from its
end-user that he actually understands what he is doing and what kind of
data he is processing, and how.

As far as composition is concerned, it's up to the composer to do the
work. The software only (tremendously) helps.

The screencast here only illustrates the composition by projection
paradigm; it shows a musical phrase being sculpted and constantly
changing. Well at most times that "musical" phrase would just sound awful !

So, muO does not create music per se. Of course an interactive toy for
fast and easy music making could be built using muO; as such it would be
a kind of composition in itself.

best,

Re: muO screencast

LawsonEnglish
Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>> especially if you can add voice-over
>> annotations for the tutorials.
>
> I agree in priciple (despite my strong french accent), but here the
> tutorial is only an interactive perusing of some already existing
> written documentation; what would be the point in a voice-over
> repeating what is written and can be read easily just by hitting the
> pause button ?
>
> The real documentation is in the muO image, and is much more fun than
> a screencast...
>
> regards,

Actually, not everyone learns well by reading, and it is difficult to
read and watch a demonstration at the same time.

Lawson

Re: muO screencast

Stéphane Rollandin
> Actually, not everyone learns well by reading, and it is difficult to
> read and watch a demonstration at the same time.

As I said, just hit the pause button, and the demonstration stops. I am
just *not* going to double the already existing documentation by
screencasts with voice-over. I much prefer spend the time it would
require setting-up some more documentation since there is still a lot to
cover.

I am actually a bit surprised by these expectations about screencasts I
got from you and Ian. As Squeak users, I would expect people on this
list to prefer the actual interaction with the software and its
interactive documentation over a plain and dumb screencast. It is much
more fun and meaningful to learn about muO from inside muO, just as it
is the case for Squeak itself.

regards,

Re: muO screencast

Ian Trudel-2
Stéphane,

What was your objective when you have created this screencast? Reading
your messages makes me believe that the documentation is good enough
to not need any screencast. It may not be useful in respect to
documentation. You are however talking about a demo. A demo is a mean
to grab people's attention and subsequent interest in your project. In
that respect, I believe you are misusing your greatest asset: sound.
Music and sounds created by muO playing in background would be more
than enough even without a voice over. It's a good tradeoff anyway.

Many of us are also very busy. You make the assumption that we would
rush to try your system right away. Yet I had to contact you to obtain
muO's homepage because it wasn't all that clear. I like the approach
that you have undertaken for your system and I hope to be able to try
it some time later but it is pooled after whatever else have to be
done first. My point is that your demo (and whole project) fight for
our attention against many other things.

On top of that you expect us to "buy" a sound system by looking at its
colours... and by pressing pause once in a while to admire the blinks.
Now I may be a bit too business minded but that would "sell" squat. :p

I am sure that trying will unveil a wonderful system but this is as
long as you get people's attention and interest long enough for them
to download your system and actually try it. Besides, it is just
feedback rather than expectations and you can do however you please.
No worries. :)

Ian.

http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: muO screencast

Stéphane Rollandin
> Stéphane,
>
> What was your objective when you have created this screencast?

I don't remember exactly when, but clearly at some point someone told me
I should do screencasts :)

This screencast I just uploaded is there for me to point to whenever
there is a need for it. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Since it shows how to use the documentation, it is also a kind of
introduction to the documentation, so to say.

The bottom line is that I find it very difficult to explain what muO is
and how it works to people that do not know what is Squeak. So the
screencast is also an introduction to Morphic, hopefully useful in
demonstrating what I mean when I say that the software is very dynamic.

> Reading
> your messages makes me believe that the documentation is good enough
> to not need any screencast.

Definitely. There is not enough of it, by far, but hopefully the
existing documentation is good.

> A demo is a mean
> to grab people's attention and subsequent interest in your project. In
> that respect, I believe you are misusing your greatest asset: sound.
> Music and sounds created by muO playing in background would be more
> than enough even without a voice over. It's a good tradeoff anyway.

You are probably right but it is definitely not my goal to grab people's
attention in such a general manner. I know for sure that only a tiny
fraction of the computer music community would be interested in muO. I
try to gather enough good-quality pieces of information for having such
people simply know that muO exists; it is clear from my point of view
that once they are aware of this, it's up to them to go further.

Actually it would really bother me if suddenly two thousand people were
to believe they can make music easily with muO. It is just not the case.
muO is difficult to use. I am convinced it can be very useful to a
handful of people, as much as I am convinced it is much too complex and
demanding for everybody else.

Also I have to disagree that my greatest asset is sound. It is not. I am
not a good enough composer to dare attract people with my sounds :)

> Many of us are also very busy. You make the assumption that we would
> rush to try your system right away.

I think you're making an assumption about my assumptions :)

I just made public a screencast; nothing more. Since Edgar put muO in
its FunSqueak image I reckoned there might be an interest here about this.

The funny thing to me at this point is that it took you more time to
discuss the screencast with me than to: see the screencast, google "muo
squeak", download the image, play with the documentation, hear sounds.

I appreciate your feedback, but I don't understand why the feedback is
about the screencast, not about muO. Something went the wrong route here :)

> On top of that you expect us to "buy" a sound system

Please, why should any piece of information be considered advertising ?
I really don't get it. I have nothing to sell, there is nothing to buy.
I have no interest whatsoever for the wrong kind of persons getting in
touch with me about a piece of software that is not for them. I'm
definitely not advertising muO. muO has been there for years, evolving
quietly; from time to time I make a little noise about it here and
there, some people contact me and it's ok like that.

My domain is research, not marketing. I despise marketing. Please don't
confuse me with a salesman; it's insulting.

regards,

Re: muO screencast

LawsonEnglish
Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

> [...]
> sounds.
>
> I appreciate your feedback, but I don't understand why the feedback is
> about the screencast, not about muO. Something went the wrong route
> here :)
>
>> On top of that you expect us to "buy" a sound system
>
> Please, why should any piece of information be considered advertising
> ? I really don't get it. I have nothing to sell, there is nothing to
> buy. I have no interest whatsoever for the wrong kind of persons
> getting in touch with me about a piece of software that is not for
> them. I'm definitely not advertising muO. muO has been there for
> years, evolving quietly; from time to time I make a little noise about
> it here and there, some people contact me and it's ok like that.
>
> My domain is research, not marketing. I despise marketing. Please
> don't confuse me with a salesman; it's insulting.

A grants proposal is a form of marketing. There's marketing for money,
and marketing to make sure people know something is available that they
might want to use.

Both require many of the same skills, IMHO.

Lawson

Re: muO screencast

Ian Trudel-2
2010/4/3 Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:
> Also I have to disagree that my greatest asset is sound. It is not. I am not
> a good enough composer to dare attract people with my sounds :)

This is not what I meant anyway. I mean something that would show off
what muO is capable of. You have shown me a page with some
compositions and it gave me already a better idea. That would be good
enough to start with, I would say.

>> Many of us are also very busy. You make the assumption that we would
>> rush to try your system right away.
>
> I think you're making an assumption about my assumptions :)

We could argue on this one. Not sure it would benefit any of us though. :)

> The funny thing to me at this point is that it took you more time to discuss
> the screencast with me than to: see the screencast, google "muo squeak",
> download the image, play with the documentation, hear sounds.

I did better. I have contacted you and then looked around what you've done.

> I appreciate your feedback, but I don't understand why the feedback is about
> the screencast, not about muO. Something went the wrong route here :)

You're right and that's exactly what I am telling you. You have
sparked interest in the screencast rather than the system. :P

>> On top of that you expect us to "buy" a sound system
>
> Please, why should any piece of information be considered advertising ? I
> really don't get it. I have nothing to sell, there is nothing to buy. I have
> no interest whatsoever for the wrong kind of persons getting in touch with
> me about a piece of software that is not for them. I'm definitely not
> advertising muO. muO has been there for years, evolving quietly; from time
> to time I make a little noise about it here and there, some people contact
> me and it's ok like that.
>
> My domain is research, not marketing. I despise marketing. Please don't
> confuse me with a salesman; it's insulting.

Let's not insult marketing and sales people. :)

Are you saying that you don't have to "sell" your ideas for research
projects? I have never heard of such thing. Everybody has to convince
others of something at some point.

> regards,
>
> Stef

Ian.
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: muO screencast

Stéphane Rollandin
> Are you saying that you don't have to "sell" your ideas for research
> projects?

That's the least you can expect when you're doing research on your own.

Re: muO screencast

Stéphane Rollandin
> A grants proposal is a form of marketing.

Sure, but I'm not asking for a grants.

... although if someone is willing to send me a lot of money, I may
accept it, provided that nothing is expected in return :)

Stef