[newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

123

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

csrabak
I miss, perhaps because I'm used to in other Smalltalks. . .

Em 16/12/2009 08:45, Damien Cassou < [hidden email] > escreveu:

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM, alesch  wrote:
> I remember I used a menu item in Squeak, but I cannot find in Pharo.

You can't. Do you misss that feature?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

csrabak
I suggest simple text files with a known extension (.ws is normally used by some Smalltalks, so we could use it to avoid extension pollution...)

Em 16/12/2009 09:51, Cédrick Béler < [hidden email] > escreveu:

I think this is a valuable feature.

Should we save in a particular file extension (.wst ? or simply text files ?) so that we can also have load opening from a a list of files of that format. This would be nice for tutorials instead of saving workspace content in a method.

Cédrick

2009/12/16 alesch <[hidden email]>

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:45, Damien Cassou [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM, alesch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I remember I used a menu item in Squeak, but I cannot find in Pharo.

You can't. Do you misss that feature?

Yes I do.

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

csrabak
OK.  I agree that this advice is important enough to make part of the Welcome message we're
suggesting to bring back too.

OTOH, is we could version the scripts that would be very nice!

Em 16/12/2009 15:16, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

So send it back and we will integrate it.
No problem. But really you should use class side methods and versioned these damned scripts.

Stef

> Stef,
>
> I also miss the ready ability to save a workspace.  With respect, it is not your place to dictate working methods.  You are correct that one can easily over-use workspaces and under-use class methods.  However, one can also over-use class methods when a new test case is more appropriate.
>
> Rather than removing basic features, we should add capabilities to encourage good practice by making things as easy as possible.  Dolphin's IDE extensions are a nice feature that I *really* miss in Pharo.  One thing I added is a way to create test case methods based on a currently selected method.  Each class can specify a TestCase subclass, and the methods were automatically named based on the selected method's name; the code is generated and proposed for optional compiling with warning of conflicts.
>
> Bill

Re: File Browser (was: Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?)

csrabak
If you go to more... you get this in a Windows machine.

HTH

--
Cesar Rabak

Em 16/12/2009 19:19, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

Thanks this is really strange.
I do not see why on windows it would be different but good catch.
Can you enter a bug entry ?

Stef

PharoFileBrowser-II.PNG (164K) Download Attachment

Re: File Browser (was: Re: [newbee ] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?)

csrabak
FWIW it happens the same way in the image updated to 11105.

Em 16/12/2009 22:06, [hidden email] escreveu:

If you go to more... you get this in a Windows machine.

HTH

--
Cesar Rabak

Em 16/12/2009 19:19, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

Thanks this is really strange.
I do not see why on windows it would be different but good catch.
Can you enter a bug entry ?

Stef

On Dec 16, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> Quoting Stéphane Ducasse :
>

>> Can you show what you get?
>>

> Sure, I attached it. The screenshot was taken from an 1.1-11105 image. (Note that the mouse pointer is on the first list item, but you can't see it, because it's a windows machine...)
>

> Levente_______________________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list

Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?

Ramiro Diaz Trepat-2
Hi Igor, nothing "stops" your cut / paste ability, but I believe that is not the right question.
I work with VW Smalltalk and at wrok we also have different images for different sides of the busines.
It may be dirty and arguable to use scripts instead of a class for your scripts full of class methods, but if you do want to save quite a few scripts/workspaces, it is much more handy to keep them in a directory of saved workspeces, than start opening and closing a whole lot of old images until you find the one that bit of code that you wanted and then, yes, copy and paste it to your new image.
Cheers

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/12/16 Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]>:
> I really miss that feature.
> In my oppinion it is very useful when you regularly use different images, or when you frequently rebuild your development image from newer versions.
> Also, I wonder if the Package Browser should be removed completely since it does not even open now when you select it as preferred.
> Cheers

What prevents you from copying the workspace text, open your favorite
text editor, paste text there and save it in a file?

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On Dec 17, 2009, at 12:34 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> OK.  I agree that this advice is important enough to make part of the Welcome message we're
> suggesting to bring back too.
>
> OTOH, is we could version the scripts that would be very nice!

We can: you have class methods.

> Em 16/12/2009 15:16, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:
>

> So send it back and we will integrate it.
> No problem. But really you should use class side methods and versioned these damned scripts.
>
> Stef
>

>> Stef,
>>
>> I also miss the ready ability to save a workspace.  With respect, it is not your place to dictate working methods.  You are correct that one can easily over-use workspaces and under-use class methods.  However, one can also over-use class methods when a new test case is more appropriate.
>>
>> Rather than removing basic features, we should add capabilities to encourage good practice by making things as easy as possible.  Dolphin's IDE extensions are a nice feature that I *really* miss in Pharo.  One thing I added is a way to create test case methods based on a currently selected method.  Each class can specify a TestCase subclass, and the methods were automatically named based on the selected method's name; the code is generated and proposed for optional compiling with warning of conflicts.
>>
>> Bill

If a brave soul send the code we will just add it.
No doubt. If this is useful it does not hurt us.

Stef
On Dec 17, 2009, at 2:15 AM, Ramiro Diaz Trepat wrote:

> Hi Igor, nothing "stops" your cut / paste ability, but I believe that is not the right question.
> I work with VW Smalltalk and at wrok we also have different images for different sides of the busines.
> It may be dirty and arguable to use scripts instead of a class for your scripts full of class methods, but if you do want to save quite a few scripts/workspaces, it is much more handy to keep them in a directory of saved workspeces, than start opening and closing a whole lot of old images until you find the one that bit of code that you wanted and then, yes, copy and paste it to your new image.
> Cheers

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2009/12/16 Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]>:
> > I really miss that feature.
> > In my oppinion it is very useful when you regularly use different images, or when you frequently rebuild your development image from newer versions.
> > Also, I wonder if the Package Browser should be removed completely since it does not even open now when you select it as preferred.
> > Cheers
> >
> What prevents you from copying the workspace text, open your favorite
> text editor, paste text there and save it in a file?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks this is really strange.
> I do not see why on windows it would be different but good catch.
> Can you enter a bug entry ?

I don't have a google account, so someone else will have to.

Levente

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, [hidden email] wrote:

> If you go to more... you get this in a Windows machine.

Note that other items a repeated too, like "decompress to file",
"changelist browser", "fileIn entire file", etc

Levente

HTH

--
Cesar Rabak

Em 16/12/2009 19:19, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

Thanks this is really strange.
I do not see why on windows it would be different but good catch.
Can you enter a bug entry ?

Stef

On Dec 16, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> Quoting Stéphane Ducasse :
>

>> Can you show what you get?
>>

> Sure, I attached it. The screenshot was taken from an 1.1-11105 image. (Note that the mouse pointer is on the first list item, but you can't see it, because it's a windows machine...)
>

> Levente_______________________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list

Re: File Browser (was: Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?)

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/12/17 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, [hidden email] wrote:

If you go to more... you get this in a Windows machine.

Note that other items a repeated too, like "decompress to file", "changelist browser", "fileIn entire file", etc

weird....maybe we should use a Set for that collection ?

Levente

HTH

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> 2009/12/17 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>
>
>> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>  If you go to more... you get this in a Windows machine.
>>>

>> Note that other items a repeated too, like "decompress to file",
>> "changelist browser", "fileIn entire file", etc
>>

> weird....maybe we should use a Set for that collection ?
What about finding the cause and fixing the bug?

Levente

>> Levente
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Cesar Rabak
>>
>> Em 16/12/2009 19:19, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] >
>> escreveu:
>>

>> Thanks this is really strange.
>> I do not see why on windows it would be different but good catch. Can you
>> enter a bug entry ?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Dec 16, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>>
>>  Quoting Stéphane Ducasse :

>>> Sure, I attached it. The screenshot was taken from an 1.1-11105 image.
>>> (Note that the mouse pointer is on the first list item, but you can't see
>>> it, because it's a windows machine...)
>>>

>>> Levente_______________________________________________
>>> Pharo-project mailing list
>>> [hidden email]

Re: File Browser (was: Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?)

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/12/17 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

2009/12/17 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, [hidden email] wrote:

 If you go to more... you get this in a Windows machine.

Note that other items a repeated too, like "decompress to file",
"changelist browser", "fileIn entire file", etc

weird....maybe we should use a Set for that collection ?

What about finding the cause and fixing the bug?

Of course that would be better. It is always easy to say that.

In addition, for Windows-only bugs we are very limited. Seems few pharo people use windows, or at least that are active in the community. There are bugs that may be since a lot of time and nobody said nothing.

Levente

Levente

HTH

--

escreveu:

Thanks this is really strange.
I do not see why on windows it would be different but good catch. Can you
enter a bug entry ?

Stef

On Dec 16, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

 Quoting Stéphane Ducasse :

Can you show what you get?

Sure, I attached it. The screenshot was taken from an 1.1-11105 image.
(Note that the mouse pointer is on the first list item, but you can't see
it, because it's a windows machine...)

Levente_______________________________________________
Pharo-project mailing list

Re: File Browser (was: Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?)

normally you do not need to have one.
may be somebody will infirm that (this would be stupid that people are forced to have a gmail account).

Stef

On Dec 17, 2009, at 10:09 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> 2009/12/17 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> If you go to more... you get this in a Windows machine.
>>>>

>>> Note that other items a repeated too, like "decompress to file",
>>> "changelist browser", "fileIn entire file", etc
>>>

>> weird....maybe we should use a Set for that collection ?
>
> What about finding the cause and fixing the bug?

Yes I was thinking the same :)

I have only macs around me so I cannot try.
May be we get a match in the file list for ZIP, zip, ZiP or something like that.

Re: File Browser (was: Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?)

Nicolas Cellier
2009/12/17 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> On Dec 17, 2009, at 10:09 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>>> weird....maybe we should use a Set for that collection ?
>>
>> What about finding the cause and fixing the bug?
>
> Yes I was thinking the same :)
>
> I have only macs around me so I cannot try.
> May be we get a match in the file list for ZIP, zip, ZiP or something like that.
>
> Stef

I didn't look at all, but just a guess: anything to do with keys not
returning a Set anymore ?

Nicolas

Re: File Browser (was: Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?)

levente can you print

FileList allRegistered allRegisteredServices

On my image I get

SimpleServiceEntry: (ChangeSet --- fileIntoNewChangeSet:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (ChangeList --- browseStream:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (ChangeList --- browseRecentLogOnPath:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (ChangeList --- browseCompressedChangesFile:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (FileContentsBrowser --- browseStream:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (FilePackage --- conflictsWithUpdatedMethods:)
FileModifyingSimpleServiceEntry: (FileStream --- removeLineFeeds:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (FileStream --- fileIn:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (Form --- importImage:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (Form --- openImageInWindow:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (Form --- setBackgroundFromImageFileNamed:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (GZipReadStream --- viewContents:)
FileModifyingSimpleServiceEntry: (GZipReadStream --- saveContents:)
FileModifyingSimpleServiceEntry: (GZipWriteStream --- compressFile:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (MCVersionReader --- loadVersionStream:fromDirectory:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (MCVersionReader --- mergeVersionStream:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (MCVersionReader --- openVersionFromStream:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (MczInstaller --- loadVersionFile:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (Morph --- fromFileName:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (NaturalLanguageTranslator --- mergeTranslationFileNamed:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (SARInstaller --- installSAR:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (TTCFont --- newTextStyleFromTTFile:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (TTFontReader --- openTTFFile:))

On Dec 16, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> Quoting Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>

>> Can you show what you get?
>>

> Sure, I attached it. The screenshot was taken from an 1.1-11105 image. (Note that the mouse pointer is on the first list item, but you can't see it, because it's a windows machine...)
>

> Levente<pharofilebrowser.png>_______________________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list

Re: File Browser (was: Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?)

Levente Uzonyi-2
This code:
Transcript open.
FileList allRegisteredServices do: [ :each | Transcript show: each; cr ]

Prints this:
[...]
FileModifyingSimpleServiceEntry: (NSGZipWriteStream --- compressFile:)
FileModifyingSimpleServiceEntry: (NSDecoderGZipWriteStream --- compressFile:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (AnimatedImageMorph --- openGIFInWindow:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (Form --- setBackgroundFromImageFileNamed:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (ScorePlayerMorph --- playMidiFile:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (NSGZipReadStream --- viewContents:)
FileModifyingSimpleServiceEntry: (NSGZipReadStream --- saveContents:)
SimpleServiceEntry: (NSDecoderGZipReadStream --- viewContents:)
FileModifyingSimpleServiceEntry: (NSDecoderGZipReadStream --- saveContents:)

Levente

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> levente can you print
>
> FileList allRegistered allRegisteredServices
>
> On my image I get
>
> SimpleServiceEntry: (ChangeSet --- fileIntoNewChangeSet:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (ChangeList --- browseStream:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (ChangeList --- browseRecentLogOnPath:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (ChangeList --- browseCompressedChangesFile:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (FileContentsBrowser --- browseStream:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (FilePackage --- conflictsWithUpdatedMethods:)
> FileModifyingSimpleServiceEntry: (FileStream --- removeLineFeeds:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (FileStream --- fileIn:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (Form --- importImage:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (Form --- openImageInWindow:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (Form --- setBackgroundFromImageFileNamed:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (GZipReadStream --- viewContents:)
> FileModifyingSimpleServiceEntry: (GZipReadStream --- saveContents:)
> FileModifyingSimpleServiceEntry: (GZipWriteStream --- compressFile:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (MCVersionReader --- loadVersionStream:fromDirectory:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (MCVersionReader --- mergeVersionStream:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (MCVersionReader --- openVersionFromStream:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (MczInstaller --- loadVersionFile:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (Morph --- fromFileName:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (NaturalLanguageTranslator --- mergeTranslationFileNamed:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (SARInstaller --- installSAR:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (TTCFont --- newTextStyleFromTTFile:)
> SimpleServiceEntry: (TTFontReader --- openTTFFile:))
>

> On Dec 16, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> Quoting Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>

>>> Can you show what you get?
>>>

>> Sure, I attached it. The screenshot was taken from an 1.1-11105 image. (Note that the mouse pointer is on the first list item, but you can't see it, because it's a windows machine...)

>> Pharo-project mailing list
>> [hidden email]

Re: File Browser (was: Re: [newbee] How do I save the contents of a Workspace?)

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks.
It seems that nile registered its own streams which makes sense.

Stef

123