newbie(ish) question (buttons)

Kelly-10

Hey guys,

Need a little help. I am trying to figure out how to use or (re-use buttons). I have a button to fire a script.
eg I have a sketch and when you press the button it runs around the playfield.

I want to be able to click the button a second time to stop the script.

I have tried many things but just cannot quite get there. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Regards

Kelly

Re: newbie(ish) question (buttons)

Markus Gälli-3
Hi Kelly,

> Need a little help. I am trying to figure out how to use or (re-use
> buttons). I have a button to fire a script.
> eg I have a sketch and when you press the button it runs around the
> playfield.
>
> I want to be able to click the button a second time to stop the
> script.
>
> I have tried many things but just cannot quite get there. Any
> suggestions?? Thanks

You could ask the label of your button, if it says: "run" then run
the sketch
_and_ change the label to "stop", and if it says "stop" vice versa.

"What makes sense to the user, often makes sense to the developer
too..." ;-)

Cheers,

Markus

Re: newbie(ish) question (buttons)

Arvind Grover

I made a numeric variable and a test that checks for odd/even numbers. The button adds to the counter causing the button to act like a start/stop button. See an image of this script here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60167034@N00/103835867/

arvind

Re: newbie(ish) question (buttons)

Markus Schlager-2
Hi Kelly,

A possible solution might be to use two scripts: the first on does the
spinning, the second one is reponsible of start and stop of the spinning
and uses a Boolean variable of the figure.

See the attached screenshot

Markus
 Markus Schlager               m.slg(at)gmx.de

buttonStartStop.png (60K) Download Attachment

Re: newbie(ish) question (buttons)

Darius Clarke
Hi Kelly,

This works for me.
Make a new variable by clicking the sketch's (v) button (right next to its name in the Viewer flap for the the sketch).
Give the field a name, like motionToggle.
Now make a script with a test. For the "test" part of the test structure, drag the new variable out of the flap and into the "test". Change the condition to "= true". Put your sketch motion in the "Yes" part of the test.
Check that the motionToggle variabe works controling the motion by toggling it from true to false in the flap.

Now on you button click script add another test.
If motionToggle is "true" assign it "false".
If motionToggle is "fales" assign it "true".

The attached gifs are similar to what you need, but not exactly .

Let us know if you need more help.

Cheers,
Darius

VariableButton.gif (2K) Download Attachment
VariableAssignment.gif (3K) Download Attachment
SketchTest.gif (6K) Download Attachment
ButtonTest.gif (7K) Download Attachment

RE : newbie(ish) question (buttons)

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDUM)
Hi Kelly,

A simple way to do this is using two buttons one for run and one for stop.

In the script for run you hide the button for run and show the button for stop
In the script for stop ou hide the button for stopand show the button for run

Then put the buttons at the same place.

>From the menu of a script editor, you  can get a button for running the script.

The commands hide and show are in the miscelanous category
see attached project

________________________________

example stop run.001.pr (54K) Download Attachment

RE : newbie(ish) question (buttons)

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDUM)
An other solution using the color of the button instead of a variable to control the state.

see attachment

Regards

________________________________

stop-start.gif (18K) Download Attachment

Re: newbie(ish) question (buttons)

Kelly-10
Hey guys,

The answer seems so obvious now! That's always the way I guess.

Thank you for all your suggestions, it's most appreciated.

Regards Kelly.

PS Markus I decided to go with your suggestion, thanks!

On 24/02/06, Markus Schlager <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kelly,

A possible solution might be to use two scripts: the first on does the
spinning, the second one is reponsible of start and stop of the spinning
and uses a Boolean variable of the figure.

See the attached screenshot

Markus

Label of a button Was: RE: newbie(ish) question (buttons)

"Hübner, Uwe"
Hi Squeakers.

I wonder if I've missed something.
How can I create a 'Label' of a button?
(I think a 'button' is something I've drawn and
 now tell it to act upon mouse-down, isn't it?)
If a Label means text embedded into a drawing,
how can I change that text?

Sincerely,

Uwe

> Need a little help. I am trying to figure out how to use or (re-use
> buttons). I have a button to fire a script.
> eg I have a sketch and when you press the button it runs around the
> playfield.
>
> I want to be able to click the button a second time to stop the
> script.
>
> I have tried many things but just cannot quite get there. Any
> suggestions?? Thanks

You could ask the label of your button, if it says: "run" then run
the sketch
_and_ change the label to "stop", and if it says "stop" vice versa.

"What makes sense to the user, often makes sense to the developer
too..." ;-)

Cheers,

Markus

Re: Label of a button Was: RE: newbie(ish) question (buttons)

Markus Gälli-3
Hi Uwe,

indeed, my mail was a bit short... ;-)

Two ways of doing it:

1.) Assuming you are using an up-to-date squeakland-image click on
the color-pipette-halo of your morph (might be chift-click, depends
on the morph, haven't explored the differences yet) and then the
button labeled "button" on the bottom. ;-)
There you can add a label. You can set the text of the label by
opening a viewer on it. Go to the "text"-category and type in your
label in the characters setter. (It is a bit strange that one cannot
change the label in the dialog directly). From there you can also
drag put the label setter for reasons described in my last mail below.

2.) Take out a text morph of the supplies-flap, embed it into your
button, and proceed as above. The advantage of doing so is that you
can change the text and the font directly.

Cheers,

Markus

p.s. I actually found out about the first option only last week,
after sending below mail.
EToys for the constructivistic explorer: "Always get a new surprise
feature from time to time..." ;-)

On Mar 1, 2006, at 1:08 PM, Hübner, Uwe wrote:

> Hi Squeakers.
>
> I wonder if I've missed something.
> How can I create a 'Label' of a button?
> (I think a 'button' is something I've drawn and
>  now tell it to act upon mouse-down, isn't it?)
> If a Label means text embedded into a drawing,
> how can I change that text?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Uwe

Dear Markus,
thanks for the 'extended' answer.
Unfortunately I could not follow your description.

I did the following:

1. I worked with Squeakland image 3.8-05 latest update: #531

2. I drew an 'Ellipse' and filled it
   (that should become my 'button')

3. The balloon of the 'color-pipette-halo'
   says: 'Repaint'.
   Shift-Click: Back in the paint tool.
   Ctrl-Click: I get a menu (must be the same
   for every halo) that lists:

        grab
        copy to paste buffer
        delete
      .
        .
        .
        debug

But neither a button, nor an entry 'button'.

Cheers,
Uwe

1.) Assuming you are using an up-to-date squeakland-image click on
the color-pipette-halo of your morph (might be chift-click, depends
on the morph, haven't explored the differences yet) and then the
button labeled "button" on the bottom. ;-)
There you can add a label. You can set the text of the label by
opening a viewer on it. Go to the "text"-category and type in your
label in the characters setter. (It is a bit strange that one cannot
change the label in the dialog directly). From there you can also
drag put the label setter for reasons described in my last mail below.

2.) Take out a text morph of the supplies-flap, embed it into your
button, and proceed as above. The advantage of doing so is that you
can change the text and the font directly.

Cheers,

Markus

p.s. I actually found out about the first option only last week,
after sending below mail.
EToys for the constructivistic explorer: "Always get a new surprise
feature from time to time..." ;-)

On Mar 1, 2006, at 1:08 PM, Hübner, Uwe wrote:

> Hi Squeakers.
>
> I wonder if I've missed something.
> How can I create a 'Label' of a button?
> (I think a 'button' is something I've drawn and
>  now tell it to act upon mouse-down, isn't it?)
> If a Label means text embedded into a drawing,
> how can I change that text?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Uwe

This is bizarre. If I don't press any key at all and hover over the
pipette in 3.8-05 #531 I get the following:

After pressing it (without shift), I get:

And then I can press the button "Button" on the bottom...

Does that help? But believe me, the other way is simpler, tell your
ellipse to "accept drops" using the red handle, then just grab a text
morph from the supplies and embed it.
Open a viewer on the text and drag out the "characters"-setter found
in the basic category into your buttonDown script.

Cheers,

Markus

pipette.png (7K) Download Attachment
propSheet.png (23K) Download Attachment

Re: Label of a button Was: RE: newbie(ish) question (buttons)

"Hübner, Uwe"
No, it isn't.
We both just talked of
differend things that have the same name!

I 'painted' the ellipse.
You 'drew' it out of the 'Supplies' flap.

If I take it from the Supplies-flap, I can now
follow your describtion exactly!

Many thanks
and sorry for the inconvenience!

Kind regards,
Uwe

> Unfortunately I could not follow your description.
>
> I did the following:
>
> 1. I worked with Squeakland image 3.8-05 latest update: #531
>
> 2. I drew an 'Ellipse' and filled it
>    (that should become my 'button')
>
> 3. The balloon of the 'color-pipette-halo'
>    says: 'Repaint'.
This is bizarre. If I don't press any key at all and hover over the
pipette in 3.8-05 #531 I get the following:

Re: Label of a button Was: RE: newbie(ish) question (buttons)

Kim Rose
As far as the balloon instructions...

I believe it may be one of you is using a
"Squeak" image and the other "Squeakland".  The
paint/repaint balloon help/reaction is due to a
preference -- the default in the Squeakland image
is to "get a property sheet from halo".  It might
be you are using an image that does not have this
preference selected.

The other thing is a sketch will have a
grey/repaint handle in the halo and an
ellipse/non-sketch will have the bright
pink/color picker/dropper handle.

  -- Kim

At 1:28 PM +0100 3/2/06, Markus Gaelli wrote:

>Hi Uwe,
>
>>thanks for the 'extended' answer.
>>Unfortunately I could not follow your description.
>>
>>I did the following:
>>
>>1. I worked with Squeakland image 3.8-05 latest update: #531
>>
>>2. I drew an 'Ellipse' and filled it
>>    (that should become my 'button')
>>
>>3. The balloon of the 'color-pipette-halo'
>>    says: 'Repaint'.
>This is bizarre. If I don't press any key at all
>and hover over the pipette in 3.8-05 #531 I get
>the following:
>

>Attachment converted: MAC OSX 10.4.5:pipette.png (PNGf/«IC») (001FEDBD)
>After pressing it (without shift), I get:
>

>Attachment converted: MAC OSX 10.4.5:propSheet.png (PNGf/«IC») (001FEDBE)
>And then I can press the button "Button" on the bottom...
>
>Does that help? But believe me, the other way is
>simpler, tell your ellipse to "accept drops"
>using the red handle, then just grab a text
>morph from the supplies and embed it.
>Open a viewer on the text and drag out the
>"characters"-setter found in the basic category
>into your buttonDown script.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Markus
>
>>    Shift-Click: Back in the paint tool.
>>    Ctrl-Click: I get a menu (must be the same
>>    for every halo) that lists:
>>
>> grab
>> copy to paste buffer
>> delete
>>       .
>> .
>> .
>> debug
>>
>>But neither a button, nor an entry 'button'.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Uwe

Bob Arning
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:28:44 +0100 Markus Gaelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Uwe,
>
>> thanks for the 'extended' answer.
>> Unfortunately I could not follow your description.
>>
>> I did the following:
>>
>> 1. I worked with Squeakland image 3.8-05 latest update: #531
>>
>> 2. I drew an 'Ellipse' and filled it
>>    (that should become my 'button')
>>
>> 3. The balloon of the 'color-pipette-halo'
>>    says: 'Repaint'.
>This is bizarre. If I don't press any key at all and hover over the
>pipette in 3.8-05 #531 I get the following:

Sounds like Uwe actually drew an ellipse with the painting tools while Markus used an EllipseMorph. For Uwe's method, there is a Repaint (meaning painting tools) halo and another halo which may be on the left or right, may be magenta or light-gray and may say Property sheet or Change color - all depending on halo preferences set in the preferences tool.

Cheers,
Bob

Re: Label of a button Was: RE: newbie(ish) question (buttons)

Kelly-10
Uwe,

If you hold down the shift button while selecting the change color button on the halo you will get the options that Marcus has been talking about.

Regards

Kelly