newbie trouble building Squeak VM on Mac

newbie trouble building Squeak VM on Mac

Michael Haupt-3
Hi,

it's my first attempt ever to actually build a Squeak VM, hence the
crosspost to both the beginners' and VM dev lists.

I have checked out the latest VM sources from svn today, run the
configure script (for the unix platform - I have a G4 PowerBook
running Mac OS X 10.4.7), and issued "make Squeak.app".

Eventually, the build stops with an error:

/Users/haupt/squeakvm/squeak-svn/platforms/unix/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/sqUnixOpenGL.h:26:7:
error: #error *** cannot find gl.h

Huh. Apparently the configure script thought there was OpenGL on the
machine, didn't it? Anyway, where / how can I obtain that file or
exclude OpenGL support?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Re: newbie trouble building Squeak VM on Mac

Michael Haupt-3
Hi again,

On 7/3/06, Michael Haupt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have checked out the latest VM sources from svn today, run the
> configure script (for the unix platform - I have a G4 PowerBook
> running Mac OS X 10.4.7), and issued "make Squeak.app".
>
> Eventually, the build stops with an error:
>
> /Users/haupt/squeakvm/squeak-svn/platforms/unix/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin/sqUnixOpenGL.h:26:7:
> error: #error *** cannot find gl.h

now that was a stupid question. :-)

Running configure with the --without-x option did the trick. Quite obviously so.

Best,

Michael

Re: newbie trouble building Squeak VM on Mac

Ian Piumarta
Hi Michael,

> /Users/haupt/squeakvm/squeak-svn/platforms/unix/plugins/
> B3DAcceleratorPlugin/sqUnixOpenGL.h:26:7:
> error: #error *** cannot find gl.h
>
> Huh. Apparently the configure script thought there was OpenGL on the
> machine, didn't it? Anyway, where / how can I obtain that file

If you're building vm-display-X11 then gl.h is /usr/X11R6/include/GL/
gl.h.  It comes with the X11 SDK.

For vm-display-Quartz the file is part of the OpenGL framework: /Sys/
Lib/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers/gl.h.  It comes with Mac OS X.

The usual reason for confusion about gl.h availability is that the
build cannot find the xmkmf program.  If you do have the X11 SDK
installed then make absolutely sure /usr/X11R6/bin is in your PATH
before you try to build the VM.

Cheers,
Ian

Re: Re: newbie trouble building Squeak VM on Mac

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Ian,

On 7/3/06, Ian Piumarta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The usual reason for confusion about gl.h availability is that the
> build cannot find the xmkmf program.  If you do have the X11 SDK
> installed then make absolutely sure /usr/X11R6/bin is in your PATH
> before you try to build the VM.

thank you very much! Indeed, the X11 bin directory is not in the path,
so I'll try it once more with that. (Even though it works fine with
the --without-x option...)

Best,

Michael