newest etoys image?

Timothy Falconer
Hi all,

I'm making some narrated video walkthroughs of Etoys next week, to
help people get up to speed more easily.

I'd like to make them with the most current OLPC Etoys image so the
video looks identical to the XOs.   I'm building Sugar, etc, on a
Ubuntu box, and have the Chicago Etoys image (070726).

Questions:

1. Should I get the image from the sugar build?  (it builds Etoys
apparently, but not sure if it's the newest)

2. If not, is there a better place to get the newest one?

3. Are we code complete (at least with Etoys) for XO MP?

The videos will be for Project Waveplace (http://waveplace.com), but
I'll make them general enough for anyone to use.  I'll post them
publicly on the waveplace site.

Thanks,
Tim

Re: newest etoys image?

Bruce O'Neel-5
Hi,

Along these lines, the current squeakland image contains the Balloon
3D classes, but, the current etoys one does not.

Is it planned that the new squeakland image will have the 3D classes?

Thanks!

cheers

bruce

>I'm making some narrated video walkthroughs of Etoys next week, to
>help people get up to speed more easily.
>
>I'd like to make them with the most current OLPC Etoys image so the
>video looks identical to the XOs.   I'm building Sugar, etc, on a
>Ubuntu box, and have the Chicago Etoys image (070726).
>
>Questions:
>
>1. Should I get the image from the sugar build?  (it builds Etoys
>apparently, but not sure if it's the newest)
>
>2. If not, is there a better place to get the newest one?
>
>3. Are we code complete (at least with Etoys) for XO MP?
>
>The videos will be for Project Waveplace (http://waveplace.com), but
>I'll make them general enough for anyone to use.  I'll post them
>publicly on the waveplace site.
>
>Thanks,
>Tim

Re: newest etoys image?

Bert Freudenberg
On Sep 28, 2007, at 22:54 , Timothy Falconer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm making some narrated video walkthroughs of Etoys next week, to
> help people get up to speed more easily.

Great!

> I'd like to make them with the most current OLPC Etoys image so the
> video looks identical to the XOs.   I'm building Sugar, etc, on a
> Ubuntu box, and have the Chicago Etoys image (070726).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Should I get the image from the sugar build?  (it builds Etoys
> apparently, but not sure if it's the newest)

It is. Running inside the sugar jhbuild emulation should provided the
closes experience to an actual XO.

The only reason not to do that is if you want to make use of the
built-in screen scaling, for that you should do "make run" in the
etoys directory (or launch the install etoys script directly). Then
resize the window to 600x450 pixels and enable the screen scaling
(the squarish button in the toolbar).

> 2. If not, is there a better place to get the newest one?

To get the very latest, use the jhbuild one, and then load updates.

For convenience we make that image available here whenever there is a
git commit:

        http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip

All this should is described at

        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys

too.

> 3. Are we code complete (at least with Etoys) for XO MP?

No - although I do not expect major visual changes. The projects will
see a brush up - if only by translating them (including the launcher
with the clouds), and we intend to refine the sharing. But as long as
you stay with the actual etoys, that is, explaining how to do your
own projects, that should be very similar to the "first deployment"
version. I have no idea which build OLPC is planning to put on the
mass-produced machines, though.

> The videos will be for Project Waveplace (http://waveplace.com),
> but I'll make them general enough for anyone to use.  I'll post
> them publicly on the waveplace site.

Thank you!

- Bert -

blogging about constructionism, squeak, etc.

Timothy Falconer
Hi folks,

Once upon a time, I blogged daily about the semantic web.  After a
two year hiatus, I'm back to daily blogging, but this time my focus
is constructionism, Squeak, and OLPC.

Give "Big Fractal Tangle" a try, you might like what you read.

website: http://bigfractaltangle.com

feed: http://bigfractaltangle.com/index.rdf

Thanks,
Timothy Falconer