nk lockdown has a hole on 4.3

Jim Rosenberg
I'm a user of Ned Konz's lockdown package to achieve what I would call
"Kiosk mode": complete disabling of everything in the Squeak UI except for
what is allowed by "my" morphs. This works fine under 3.8. Today I tried it
on 4.3. It mostly works -- no world menu, halos don't come up, but on Linux
when I right-click (I forget which color button that is, I never did learn
Squeak mouse button colors ...) this menu *does* come up. For the World
this allows showing the docking bar, and from there you can get all kinds
of things. So this is a hole.

Has anyone run into this? Is there a fix?

Ned, you out there? [Trying Bcc ...]

-Thanks in advance, Jim

Re: nk lockdown has a hole on 4.3

Hannes Hirzel
Jim,

May I ask you for the reference to the source of Ned Konz's lockdown package?

--Hannes

On 1/9/13, Jim Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm a user of Ned Konz's lockdown package to achieve what I would call
> "Kiosk mode": complete disabling of everything in the Squeak UI except for
> what is allowed by "my" morphs. This works fine under 3.8. Today I tried it
>
> on 4.3. It mostly works -- no world menu, halos don't come up, but on Linux
>
> when I right-click (I forget which color button that is, I never did learn
> Squeak mouse button colors ...) this menu *does* come up. For the World
> this allows showing the docking bar, and from there you can get all kinds
> of things. So this is a hole.
>
> Has anyone run into this? Is there a fix?
>
> Ned, you out there? [Trying Bcc ...]
>
> -Thanks in advance, Jim

Re: nk lockdown has a hole on 4.3

Jim Rosenberg
> May I ask you for the reference to the source of Ned Konz's lockdown
> package?

Download here:

<http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/SqueakLockdown-nk.1.cs.gz>

Reference page:

<http://map.squeak.org/package/0c6d3bda-adbb-496a-ae84-8d4c145d14b5>

Re: nk lockdown has a hole on 4.3

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 10:04:19PM -0500, Jim Rosenberg wrote:

> I'm a user of Ned Konz's lockdown package to achieve what I would call
> "Kiosk mode": complete disabling of everything in the Squeak UI except for
> what is allowed by "my" morphs. This works fine under 3.8. Today I tried it
> on 4.3. It mostly works -- no world menu, halos don't come up, but on Linux
> when I right-click (I forget which color button that is, I never did learn
> Squeak mouse button colors ...) this menu *does* come up. For the World
> this allows showing the docking bar, and from there you can get all kinds
> of things. So this is a hole.
>
> Has anyone run into this? Is there a fix?
>
> Ned, you out there? [Trying Bcc ...]

Please let us know if you hear from Ned, it would be great to see his name
back on the list once in a while too :)

Dave

-Thanks in advance, Jim
In the Preference Browser, try disabling the morphic preference "generalizedYellowButtonMenu". This enables the personal menu which you can easily edit.

I tried this on OSX. With the generalizedYellowButtonMenu disabled. I filed in Ned's lockdown code. Then, following Ned's instructions, I invoked the "lock image down" from the personal yellow button menu and saved as a new image. This image produces no menus from the desktop, left, middle or right click.

[...]

With the generalizedYellowButtonMenu enabled, I get the same result you did. After lockdown, right clicking on the desktop brings up a mini world menu.

Does anybody know what this generalizedYellowButtonMenu is for? It just brings up a reduced version of the world menu which seems redundant. It also masks the nice personalizable yellow button menu which is actually useful.