non-GUI Croquet-base server?

Mikhail Y. Zvyozdochkin
Hello, Croquet community!
I'm interesting in creating of client/server virtual worlds. I think
about Croquet SDK as engine for it, and I have a question, which I can't
answer.

Can I implement world server (based on Croquet SDK) without GUI, running
as a daemon on physical server on internet hosting?
Or Croquet _required_ GUI for all applications, include server? (After
exploring of demos and overview of documentation it seems that last
version is true. :( )

In last case it's serious restriction of internet application of Croquet
SDK, because typical (and, in most cases, optimal) hosting now is a
standalone UNIX server with SSH access for admin.

Thanks.

With the best regards,
  Mikhail Zvyozdochkin

Re: non-GUI Croquet-base server?

Ralph Johnson
> Can I implement world server (based on Croquet SDK) without GUI, running
> as a daemon on physical server on internet hosting?
> Or Croquet _required_ GUI for all applications, include server? (After
> exploring of demos and overview of documentation it seems that last
> version is true. :( )

The current system, as shipped, requires a GUI.  But it should be
pretty easy to change it so that it doesn't require a GUI.  The hard
part is providing good content, making a version that will run on an
internet server is easy.

People will need to run Croquet on their computers, with a GUI.  But
they could connect to a server and get content from it.  So, the
server would just be a permanent repository.

-Ralph

Re: non-GUI Croquet-base server?

Erik Anderson-9
Jeez, and the fact that this is not on the FAQ made me think that not too many people were asking for this, I join the list for a week and someone else already is asking for it?  How often do people ask for this?

I'm interested in doing something about this, but as I have zero knowledge I'm not committing to anything until I get some free time and finish that online book on smalltalk.  This may seem like a simple project to you people, but it's probably a bit overwhelming to me until I actually start writing some code (and get more than an hour a day to look at this?).  I'm assuming that once I get a server running in the full Croquet install that I just need to start from an empty squeak image, install Monticello, and then bring in just the non-UI Croquet classes.

Like I said, I don't actually expect to succeed, but it will definately be a learning process.  It would be nice to have something show up on the "available croquet worlds" page though.  And then maybe I can talk to someone other than myself.