Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

object instance browser?

projectVALIS
Is there a way to browse the ecosystem of objects in a Smalltalk image? I'm not talking about the class browser, what I'm looking for is a way to see what objects have actually been instantiated and what their state is. 

David Holiday 
-------------------------------------------------
San Diego State University

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: object instance browser?

Herbert König
Hi David,

In the Browser on any class right click, then 'more' then 'inspect instances'. You get an I inspector on an Array with all instances. Click on any instance, Press Alt + i for an inspector on this particular instance or Alt + I (capitol I) for an Explorer. Explorer gets slow on big collections.

Works on any object. I suggest you browse Squeak by Example to learn more about the tools in Squeak. (references, chase pointers for exploring the ecosystem of objects)

Cheers

Herbert

Am 31.12.2013 08:53, schrieb David Holiday:
Is there a way to browse the ecosystem of objects in a Smalltalk image? I'm not talking about the class browser, what I'm looking for is a way to see what objects have actually been instantiated and what their state is. 

David Holiday 

Reply | Threaded
|

Herbert König
Oh and if you have an image to waste:

In a workspace "Object allSubInstances explore" (!!!DON'T DO IT!!!) This is just so you learn how to get an Explorer or inspector on the result of an expression.

You can do: (1.0 + 1) inspect, but how boring is that :-))

Cheers

Herbert

Am 31.12.2013 10:08, schrieb Herbert König:
Hi David,

In the Browser on any class right click, then 'more' then 'inspect instances'. You get an I inspector on an Array with all instances. Click on any instance, Press Alt + i for an inspector on this particular instance or Alt + I (capitol I) for an Explorer. Explorer gets slow on big collections.

Works on any object. I suggest you browse Squeak by Example to learn more about the tools in Squeak. (references, chase pointers for exploring the ecosystem of objects)

Cheers

Herbert

Am 31.12.2013 08:53, schrieb David Holiday:

David Holiday 

Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg
In reply to this post by projectVALIS
On 31.12.2013, at 08:53, David Holiday <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way to browse the ecosystem of objects in a Smalltalk image?

Yes, multiple ones in fact. This is a major reason working in Smalltalk feels more immediate than in other environments.

> I'm not talking about the class browser, what I'm looking for is a way to see what objects have actually been instantiated and what their state is.

The basic tool for this is called an Inspector. Whenever you have an expression, like "3 + 4", you press cmd-i to "inspect it", which opens an inspector on the result. This works in any text area. Try for example inspecting "self" in a class browser, and you will inspect the underlying class object (which the browser shows a high-level view of).

In the Inspector you see the objects referenced by this object (via instance variables or indexed fields) in the left panel. Select any of them and choose "inspect" from the context menu (or press cmd-i again). This way you can inspect all the objects in the system.

A more modern tool than the Inspector (which was around 40 years ago already) is the Object Explorer. It presents you a tree view of an object and its "children", which again are the instance variables and indexed fields of the object. Open it with cmd-shift-i (or "explore" in the context menu).

You can also do the reverse. If you choose "objects pointing to this value" you get an inspector showing all the objects that directly point to this object. Similarly there is a "reverse explorer", which you can open by selecting "explore pointers".

There are two roots to all the objects in the system:

Smalltalk specialObjectsArray

which basically holds everything the Virtual Machine needs to know about, and in turn almost every object in the whole image, and

thisContext

which is the current execution context, holding onto temporary objects. When a garbage collection is performed, any object not reachable form either of these two roots is removed from memory.

An "interesting" global object to explore is

Project current

which holds your current workspace, in particular

Project current world

, the root of all morphs in the world. And of course

Smalltalk

itself is the dictionary that holds all global objects, including all classes (unless they are defined in a non-global environment).

There is also a low-level way to enumerate all objects in memory. "self someObject" will return the very first object in memory (which happens to be the nil object), and "anObject nextObject" will return the next one:

| object count |
        count := 0.
        object := self someObject.
        [0 == object]
                whileFalse: [count := count + 1.
                        object := object nextObject].
        count

Interestingly, this also finds objects that are due to be garbage-collected. For example, if you accidentally closed a text window, there is a good chance its contents will still be in memory, and can be retrieved using an expression like

ByteString allInstances last: 10

This makes use of the someInstance/nextInstance methods, which are similar to someObject/nextObject, but restricted to instances of one class only.

Hope you have fun poking around in the world of objects :)

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg
Make a Welcome Workspace with this info :-)

Cheers,
Karl

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, multiple ones in fact. This is a major reason working in Smalltalk feels more immediate than in other environments.

> I'm not talking about the class browser, what I'm looking for is a way to see what objects have actually been instantiated and what their state is.

The basic tool for this is called an Inspector. Whenever you have an expression, like "3 + 4", you press cmd-i to "inspect it", which opens an inspector on the result. This works in any text area. Try for example inspecting "self" in a class browser, and you will inspect the underlying class object (which the browser shows a high-level view of).

In the Inspector you see the objects referenced by this object (via instance variables or indexed fields) in the left panel. Select any of them and choose "inspect" from the context menu (or press cmd-i again). This way you can inspect all the objects in the system.

A more modern tool than the Inspector (which was around 40 years ago already) is the Object Explorer. It presents you a tree view of an object and its "children", which again are the instance variables and indexed fields of the object. Open it with cmd-shift-i (or "explore" in the context menu).

You can also do the reverse. If you choose "objects pointing to this value" you get an inspector showing all the objects that directly point to this object. Similarly there is a "reverse explorer", which you can open by selecting "explore pointers".

which basically holds everything the Virtual Machine needs to know about, and in turn almost every object in the whole image, and

thisContext

which is the current execution context, holding onto temporary objects. When a garbage collection is performed, any object not reachable form either of these two roots is removed from memory.

Project current

Project current world

Smalltalk

itself is the dictionary that holds all global objects, including all classes (unless they are defined in a non-global environment).

There is also a low-level way to enumerate all objects in memory. "self someObject" will return the very first object in memory (which happens to be the nil object), and "anObject nextObject" will return the next one:

| object count |
        [0 == object]
        count

Interestingly, this also finds objects that are due to be garbage-collected. For example, if you accidentally closed a text window, there is a good chance its contents will still be in memory, and can be retrieved using an expression like

This makes use of the someInstance/nextInstance methods, which are similar to someObject/nextObject, but restricted to instances of one class only.

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg
Hey, I wrote it, you make the workspace, deal? ;)

Happy New Year, btw.

- Bert -

On 31.12.2013, at 12:37, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cheers,
Karl

thisContext

Project current

Project current world

Smalltalk

| object count |
        [0 == object]
        count

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Herbert König
In reply to this post by Bert Freudenberg
Merci vielmals.

Am 31.12.2013 11:27, schrieb Bert Freudenberg:
> Yes, multiple ones in fact. This is a major reason working in
> Smalltalk feels more immediate than in other environments.
Great explanation scrubbed
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-3
Great post, I learned some new things.

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 4:27 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31.12.2013, at 08:53, David Holiday <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to browse the ecosystem of objects in a Smalltalk image?
>
> Yes, multiple ones in fact. This is a major reason working in Smalltalk feels more immediate than in other environments.
>
>> I'm not talking about the class browser, what I'm looking for is a way to see what objects have actually been instantiated and what their state is.
>
> The basic tool for this is called an Inspector. Whenever you have an expression, like "3 + 4", you press cmd-i to "inspect it", which opens an inspector on the result. This works in any text area. Try for example inspecting "self" in a class browser, and you will inspect the underlying class object (which the browser shows a high-level view of).
>
> In the Inspector you see the objects referenced by this object (via instance variables or indexed fields) in the left panel. Select any of them and choose "inspect" from the context menu (or press cmd-i again). This way you can inspect all the objects in the system.
>
> A more modern tool than the Inspector (which was around 40 years ago already) is the Object Explorer. It presents you a tree view of an object and its "children", which again are the instance variables and indexed fields of the object. Open it with cmd-shift-i (or "explore" in the context menu).
>
> You can also do the reverse. If you choose "objects pointing to this value" you get an inspector showing all the objects that directly point to this object. Similarly there is a "reverse explorer", which you can open by selecting "explore pointers".
>
> There are two roots to all the objects in the system:
>
>         Smalltalk specialObjectsArray
>
> which basically holds everything the Virtual Machine needs to know about, and in turn almost every object in the whole image, and
>
>         thisContext
>
> which is the current execution context, holding onto temporary objects. When a garbage collection is performed, any object not reachable form either of these two roots is removed from memory.
>
> An "interesting" global object to explore is
>
>         Project current
>
> which holds your current workspace, in particular
>
>         Project current world
>
> , the root of all morphs in the world. And of course
>
>         Smalltalk
>
> itself is the dictionary that holds all global objects, including all classes (unless they are defined in a non-global environment).
>
> There is also a low-level way to enumerate all objects in memory. "self someObject" will return the very first object in memory (which happens to be the nil object), and "anObject nextObject" will return the next one:
>
>         | object count |
>         count := 0.
>         object := self someObject.
>         [0 == object]
>                 whileFalse: [count := count + 1.
>                         object := object nextObject].
>         count
>
> Interestingly, this also finds objects that are due to be garbage-collected. For example, if you accidentally closed a text window, there is a good chance its contents will still be in memory, and can be retrieved using an expression like
>
>         ByteString allInstances last: 10
>
> This makes use of the someInstance/nextInstance methods, which are similar to someObject/nextObject, but restricted to instances of one class only.
>
> Hope you have fun poking around in the world of objects :)
>
> - Bert -
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Beginners mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners
Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg
I do it :-)

Happy new year!

Cheers,
Karl

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Happy New Year, btw.

- Bert -

Cheers,
Karl

thisContext

Project current

Project current world

Smalltalk

| object count |
        [0 == object]
        count

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Bert Freudenberg wrote
if you accidentally closed a text window, there is a good chance its contents will still be in memory, and can be retrieved using an expression like
Oh boy, that's great… really could've used that a few times ;)
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg
Posted to the inbox. I don't have login for trunk

Karl

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Happy New Year, btw.

- Bert -

Cheers,
Karl

thisContext

Project current

Project current world

Smalltalk

| object count |
        [0 == object]
        count

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg
On 04.01.2014, at 20:03, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Posted to the inbox. I don't have login for trunk
>
> Karl

Thanks! Moved to trunk.

- Bert -