original ST-80 fonts

Wolfgang Helbig-2
Hi,

I am in the midst of porting Smalltalk-80-V2, released April 1, 1983, to
Squeak 1.18. So far it works fine, but I am missing the original strike
fonts, that made up the original DefaultTextStyle. (12 10-point fonts
and 12 12-point fonts) that seem to be part of the said image. Any hints
at how to get at the *.st files? I already found the PaloAlto-12 Font,
but that turned out not to be what I am looking for. Are those vintage
fonts gone for ever?

Hope not,

Greetings
Wolfgang

Re: original ST-80 fonts

Dan Ingalls
Wolfgang Helbig <[hidden email]>  wrote...

>I am in the midst of porting Smalltalk-80-V2, released April 1, 1983, to
>Squeak 1.18. So far it works fine, but I am missing the original strike
>fonts, that made up the original DefaultTextStyle. (12 10-point fonts
>and 12 12-point fonts) that seem to be part of the said image. Any hints
>at how to get at the *.st files? I already found the PaloAlto-12 Font,
>but that turned out not to be what I am looking for. Are those vintage
>fonts gone for ever?
>
>Hope not,

Hi, Wofgang -

I'm a bit confused by your message.  The fonts are *in* the image, so they are definitely not lost forever.  And what do you mean by the *.st files?  I am guessing that you are getting the source code to run on the Squeak VM, and that you want .st files that would create the fonts in Squeak.  Is that right?

I have that image running in Squeak (see attached image), but I see no fileOut code for StrikeFont.  I suppose we could copy over the fileOut code from Squeak, get it to run in my St80, and fileOut all the fonts in DefaultTextStyle.  Is this what you want?

        - Dan

St80.gif (18K) Download Attachment

RE: original ST-80 fonts

Sean Glazier-3
Do you have the original c source for running that image I wonder?

Sean

Things are really bad when only a fictional character has the right thing to
say...
"So this is how liberty dies; to the sound of thunderous applause..."
--Padme, SW3

Wolfgang Helbig <[hidden email]>  wrote...

>I am in the midst of porting Smalltalk-80-V2, released April 1, 1983, to
>Squeak 1.18. So far it works fine, but I am missing the original strike
>fonts, that made up the original DefaultTextStyle. (12 10-point fonts
>and 12 12-point fonts) that seem to be part of the said image. Any hints
>at how to get at the *.st files? I already found the PaloAlto-12 Font,
>but that turned out not to be what I am looking for. Are those vintage
>fonts gone for ever?
>
>Hope not,

Hi, Wofgang -

I'm a bit confused by your message.  The fonts are *in* the image, so they
are definitely not lost forever.  And what do you mean by the *.st files?  I
am guessing that you are getting the source code to run on the Squeak VM,
and that you want .st files that would create the fonts in Squeak.  Is that
right?

I have that image running in Squeak (see attached image), but I see no
fileOut code for StrikeFont.  I suppose we could copy over the fileOut code
from Squeak, get it to run in my St80, and fileOut all the fonts in
DefaultTextStyle.  Is this what you want?

        - Dan

RE: original ST-80 fonts

Dan Ingalls
 "Sean Glazier" <[hidden email]>  asked...

>Do you have the original c source for running that image I wonder?

The original source wasn't in C.  It was Nova assembler plus microcode for various Xerox processors.  However there's one in Smalltalk in the blue book.  And the Squeak VM is very close, except for its object memory which is much nicer.  I do have this Squeak version of Hobbes that runs it, but it's not as simple as you might hope.

I think a couple of folks wrote interpreters in C for that image, so you might still find one.  I'd ask on comp.lang.smalltalk.  I think Stoney Ballard's was in C, but he changed the object memory too.

Good luck
        - Dan

Re: original ST-80 fonts

Randal L. Schwartz

Dan> The original source wasn't in C.  It was Nova assembler plus microcode
Dan> for various Xerox processors.  However there's one in Smalltalk in the
Dan> blue book.  And the Squeak VM is very close, except for its object memory
Dan> which is much nicer.  I do have this Squeak version of Hobbes that runs
Dan> it, but it's not as simple as you might hope.

Dan> I think a couple of folks wrote interpreters in C for that image, so you
Dan> might still find one.  I'd ask on comp.lang.smalltalk.  I think Stoney
Dan> Ballard's was in C, but he changed the object memory too.

Wasn't the version on the Tek Magnolia in C?

That's the one I ran ST80 with, for a few months until I left to get
a real job.

RE: original ST-80 fonts

Wolfgang Helbig-2
Hi Sean,
"Sean Glazier" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you have the original c source for running that image I wonder?

No. I do not have an ST80 image. Instead I file in class descriptions
from an ST80 source file into an Squeak 1.18 image. Before filing in, I
rename the classes, i. e. View into ST80View. I started this process
without renaming, but that crashed my image to often during file in. One
of the classes is ST80DefaultTextStyle that is supposed to contain 24
fonts, instances of ST80StrikeFont. These StrikeFonts naturally are not
distributed with the ST80 sources file and thats why I am looking for
them.

Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: original ST-80 fonts

Wolfgang Helbig-2
Dan Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm a bit confused by your message.
Sorry.
> The fonts are *in* the image, so they are definitely not lost forever.
Yes, but I do not have an image running ST80 sources. This is the target
of my little project.
>And what do you mean by the *.st files?
Sorry, typing error. I meant *.sf files. Like in PaloAlto.sf2.
> I am guessing that you are getting the source code to run on the Squeak VM,
exactly
> and that you want .st files that would create the fonts in Squeak.  Is that right?
I fact, .sf files, because I thought that StrikeFonts where distributed
as .sf files. But I learned, that this is not so.

> I have that image running in Squeak (see attached image),
Fantastic! This is just what I am trying to achieve: ST80 classes
running in a Squeak image!

> but I see no fileOut code for StrikeFont.  I suppose we could copy over
> the fileOut code from Squeak, get it to run in my St80, and fileOut
> all the fonts in DefaultTextStyle.  Is this what you want?
Exactly!

But what I really want by now is your image :-) Can you distribute it?
Or are there legal reasons
not to?

Thanks a lot for your kind reply!

Greetings