package browsers

Nick
Hi,

What is the difference between the "Package Universe Browser" and
"SqueakMap Package Loader"?

On a related question, I'm trying to understand the difference between
packages listed in SqueakMap/Universe Browser and those listed in the
"Monticello Browser". I understand that Monticello is a version
control system which contains the latest although not necessarly
stable release code whereas the packages listed in SqueakMap/Universe
Browser should link to stable releases of the code. Is this
understanding correct? Is packaging part of an image release cycle or
a separate process?

Thanks again

Nick

Re: package browsers

Michael van der Gulik-3
Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the difference between the "Package Universe Browser" and
> "SqueakMap Package Loader"?
>
> On a related question, I'm trying to understand the difference between
> packages listed in SqueakMap/Universe Browser and those listed in the
> "Monticello Browser". I understand that Monticello is a version
> control system which contains the latest although not necessarly
> stable release code whereas the packages listed in SqueakMap/Universe
> Browser should link to stable releases of the code. Is this
> understanding correct? Is packaging part of an image release cycle or
> a separate process?

Okay; for starters, it's all a big mess. That's what you get with lots
of contributers with lots of ideas. I don't think the mess is a bad
thing; good ideas will survive and bad ideas will eventually be replaced.

SqueakMap is a published list of packages that has been in Squeak from
3.4 through to 3.9. The idea is that you can just download and install a
package easily from within the SqueakMap browser. Unfortunately, there's
no guarantee that the package you select will work with the version of
Squeak you're running.

The Universe Browser is new in 3.10, and follows the same idea, but now
the packages in a "universe" are known to work together well. For
example, there's a "3.10" universe, that, in theory, you should be able
to load and use any package from. That's the extent of my knowledge.

Like you say, Monticello is a version control tool where each "version"
is a package file (with the extension ".mcz"). While it can load
packages, that's not its intention. It only stores the locations of
available repositories for a package as a convenience to the developer.

Michael.

Re: package browsers

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 5/25/07 11:42 PM, "Michael van der Gulik" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> The Universe Browser is new in 3.10, and follows the same idea, but now
> the packages in a "universe" are known to work together well. For
> example, there's a "3.10" universe, that, in theory, you should be able
> to load and use any package from. That's the extent of my knowledge.
The Universe Browser is not new.
What is new is 3.10 have it as default instead SqueakMap.
3.10 goals are establish a high quality process (all test should be green)
and be more user friendly.
Also the user could hit the updates button as in earlier releases and have
his/her image up to date.
We believe at the end of release people could load any in the 3.10 Universe
without troubles.
I put a FunSqueak 3.10 image (non official) for people could play with new
and old friends into ftp://squeak.cobss.ch, thanks Klaus

Edgar