painting with Etoys

Rita Freudenberg
Hi all,

I'm just reading a thread on the sugar labs mailing list about paint
programs on the XO. Caroline Meeks is requesting a tool like Kid Pix
or Tux Paint on the XO, based on her experiences on a Preschool in
Boston.

That reminds me of a discussion about lowering the threshold into
Etoys by using it as a painting tool. I think, Yoshiki answered a
question about that. I'm not sure on which mailing list this
discussion took place. But nevertheless I think it is a very
interesting thought to have an Etoys version that maybe starts with
the paint tool open? I have seen children drawing happily with Etoys
and even remember Bert doing a nice project for our kids: he just put
a holder on the screen and prepared an animation script. The kids
could draw whatever they wanted and put their drawings in the holder,
thus changing the animation. They did that on my computer, but each of
them had it's own flap, where they stored their drawings. They did
that while I was away and showed it to me when I came back. It was so
lovely! (And I really liked to look in their flaps, seeing all the
objects floating around like the toys in their kid's room:)

So what do you think about that?

Greetings,
Rita

Re: painting with Etoys

K. K. Subramaniam
On Sunday 01 Mar 2009 6:49:47 pm Rita Freudenberg wrote:
> That reminds me of a discussion about lowering the threshold into
> Etoys by using it as a painting tool. I think, Yoshiki answered a
> question about that. I'm not sure on which mailing list this
> discussion took place. But nevertheless I think it is a very
> interesting thought to have an Etoys version that maybe starts with
> the paint tool open?
The paint tool interface is complicated for children who are not yet
functionally literate in the interface language. Artpad painter
(artpad.art.com/artpad/painter) does a better job in introducing painting to
young kids.

BTW, painting is not required to start composing etoys. The supplies bin
already has objects like Ellipse, Stars and Rectangles that can be put to
good use (e.g. http://community.ofset.org/index.php/Art_et_Squeak).

Subbu

Re: painting with Etoys

Karl Ramberg
Rita Freudenberg wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm just reading a thread on the sugar labs mailing list about paint
> programs on the XO. Caroline Meeks is requesting a tool like Kid Pix
> or Tux Paint on the XO, based on her experiences on a Preschool in
> Boston.
>
> That reminds me of a discussion about lowering the threshold into
> Etoys by using it as a painting tool. I think, Yoshiki answered a
> question about that. I'm not sure on which mailing list this
> discussion took place. But nevertheless I think it is a very
> interesting thought to have an Etoys version that maybe starts with
> the paint tool open? I have seen children drawing happily with Etoys
> and even remember Bert doing a nice project for our kids: he just put
> a holder on the screen and prepared an animation script. The kids
> could draw whatever they wanted and put their drawings in the holder,
> thus changing the animation. They did that on my computer, but each of
> them had it's own flap, where they stored their drawings. They did
> that while I was away and showed it to me when I came back. It was so
> lovely! (And I really liked to look in their flaps, seeing all the
> objects floating around like the toys in their kid's room:)
>
> So what do you think about that?

I think this is a great idea. Etoys can be a environment where kids make
their own applications or activity as they are called on XO.
I have a partly working tool that can save pictures to the Journal. That
way the rest of Etoys could be hidden so just the painting part
would be in focus.

This also reminds me, it would be nice to have a direct option in
Holders to be a flap.

Karl

RE: painting with Etoys

Pato Acevedo

Hi:
      We are a group of teachers participated in a group of self formation about Etoys in South America. Teachers participating in this course are  Uruguayans (xo), Argentins and other Spanish-speaking countries.
    About the question, we have a problem with the versions. Originally we used the Atenex´s version  but we try to maintain compatibility with Squeakland for Uruguayan´s Teachers can use the course in their xo´s. I think a new version not is a good idea. Perhaps a book Morphic supports different versions (include plug-in for the browser) with a comic style page and the holder, more a lot of images ready to use can be a good start. Remember in the Etoys xo there is not a  administrator pictures.  The tabs are a nice idea, too.

Sorry for my basic english skills. I wait you can to understand my ideas.

Our group: http://www.irisfernandez.com.ar/squeak/

One example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgLVLiHRCy8

cheers

Pato Acevedo

Casi 50 razones para tener el nuevo Messenger. ¡Conócelas aquí y bájate el nuevo!

Re: painting with Etoys

Paulo Drummond
 From the time a child understands and actually use some of the
functions of his/her fingers, any other (unnatural) interface will be
difficult to understand, and will require a more experienced kid (or
an adult) to show the first steps. Even with a real brush. Trial and
error -- or discovery learning -- is one of the first things a child
uses to develop his/her self-confidence.

I guess Etoys palette tool does a great job for kids of a certain age,
and it is certainly a first step for creating objects, no matter shape
this object may have.

So, yes, for a certaing age group, Etoys could well be preset to be
opened with the paint tool already on. It could "invite" them to
create almost immediately, just for the sake of creation (the object
concept could be introduced later). For more experienced groups, just
leave as it is now.

my 2ç

On Mar 1, 2009, at 1:28 PM, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Sunday 01 Mar 2009 6:49:47 pm Rita Freudenberg wrote:
>> That reminds me of a discussion about lowering the threshold into
>> Etoys by using it as a painting tool. I think, Yoshiki answered a
>> question about that. I'm not sure on which mailing list this
>> discussion took place. But nevertheless I think it is a very
>> interesting thought to have an Etoys version that maybe starts with
>> the paint tool open?
> The paint tool interface is complicated for children who are not yet
> functionally literate in the interface language. Artpad painter
> (artpad.art.com/artpad/painter) does a better job in introducing
> painting to
> young kids.
>
> BTW, painting is not required to start composing etoys. The supplies
> bin
> already has objects like Ellipse, Stars and Rectangles that can be
> put to
> good use (e.g. http://community.ofset.org/index.php/Art_et_Squeak).
>
> Subbu

RE: painting with Etoys

Nicholas Bennett
Rita,

From playing with etoy s with my kinds I think they'd love it.

One thing I remember we found a little distracting was that each painted object determined it's own size from what happened to be non-transparent and the image rendering seemed to be based on one of the corners. This meant that if you were trying to draw a bouncing ball you needed to put some extra marks to 'fix the frame' in which the ball appeared or you just ended up with a squirming ball sitting there. It's a good concept for kids to have to 'get', but once they got it it became a chore to work with. I'm not sure what could be a natural and/or easy way to address this.

regards,
Nicholas

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 14:19:47 +0100
> Subject: [Squeakland] painting with Etoys
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just reading a thread on the sugar labs mailing list about paint
> programs on the XO. Caroline Meeks is requesting a tool like Kid Pix
> or Tux Paint on the XO, based on her experiences on a Preschool in
> Boston.
>
> That reminds me of a discussion about lowering the threshold into
> Etoys by using it as a painting tool. I think, Yoshiki answered a
> question about that. I'm not sure on which mailing list this
> discussion took place. But nevertheless I think it is a very
> interesting thought to have an Etoys version that maybe starts with
> the paint tool open? I have seen children drawing happily with Etoys
> and even remember Bert doing a nice project for our kids: he just put
> a holder on the screen and prepared an animation script. The kids
> could draw whatever they wanted and put their drawings in the holder,
> thus changing the animation. They did that on my computer, but each of
> them had it's own flap, where they stored their drawings. They did
> that while I was away and showed it to me when I came back. It was so
> lovely! (And I really liked to look in their flaps, seeing all the
> objects floating around like the toys in their kid's room:)
>
> So what do you think about that?
>
> Greetings,
> Rita

Re: painting with Etoys

Hilaire Fernandes-4
2009/3/1 K. K. Subramaniam <[hidden email]>:

> BTW, painting is not required to start composing etoys. The supplies bin
> already has objects like Ellipse, Stars and Rectangles that can be put to
> good use (e.g. http://community.ofset.org/index.php/Art_et_Squeak).

As you are referring to these resources, the following page is a
better one for English speaking people:
http://community.ofset.org/index.php/Category:Etoys_English

Re: painting with Etoys

Rita Freudenberg
Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> 2009/3/1 K. K. Subramaniam <[hidden email]>:
>

>> BTW, painting is not required to start composing etoys. The supplies bin
>> already has objects like Ellipse, Stars and Rectangles that can be put to
>> good use (e.g. http://community.ofset.org/index.php/Art_et_Squeak).
>>

> As you are referring to these resources, the following page is a
> better one for English speaking people:
> http://community.ofset.org/index.php/Category:Etoys_English

Hilaire, this website is just amazing! We should add a link to the
squeakland website http://www.squeakland.org/resources/community/
What would you call it? Can you give 1-2 sentences for the description?

Greetings,
Rita

Rita Freudenberg
FIN-ISG
Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg
http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/isg/rita.html

Re: painting with Etoys

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Sun, 1 Mar 2009 14:19:47 +0100,
Rita Freudenberg wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm just reading a thread on the sugar labs mailing list about paint
> programs on the XO. Caroline Meeks is requesting a tool like Kid Pix
> or Tux Paint on the XO, based on her experiences on a Preschool in
> Boston.
>
> That reminds me of a discussion about lowering the threshold into
> Etoys by using it as a painting tool. I think, Yoshiki answered a
> question about that. I'm not sure on which mailing list this
> discussion took place. But nevertheless I think it is a very
> interesting thought to have an Etoys version that maybe starts with
> the paint tool open? I have seen children drawing happily with Etoys
> and even remember Bert doing a nice project for our kids: he just put
> a holder on the screen and prepared an animation script. The kids
> could draw whatever they wanted and put their drawings in the holder,
> thus changing the animation. They did that on my computer, but each of
> them had it's own flap, where they stored their drawings. They did
> that while I was away and showed it to me when I came back. It was so
> lovely! (And I really liked to look in their flaps, seeing all the
> objects floating around like the toys in their kid's room:)

Somehow it was hard to lookup but here it is:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/etoys/2008-November/002772.html

Adding Journal support etc., and polishing it up an it could be something.

However, the above test is tied to the existing paint tool and it
cannot overcome the downside of it.  A skelton paint widget and if
rest of parts are done in Etoys scripts, then making customized
versions would be much easier.  Abe-san and Takashi and others used to
make such bare-born versions so it might be worth to dig them up.

-- Yoshiki