pending mac vm 3.8.11b2 universal

johnmci
I had hoped to push the 3.8.11b2 universal out, but we needed just
one more test, then I decided to recompile all the plugins. Because
of the platform change I'm altering how plugins are loaded, in
3.8.11b2 forward we will load them from the application resource
folder and ignore other locations unless we cannot find them in the
resources folder.  This is because non-universal plugins aren't run
under rosetta and what you get back is the plugin failed to load,
which is very confusing.

That is taking awhile to confirm and test, really the issue is that
we need a proper test suite to confirm the VM platform specific code
works as expected. For
example although we've had people poke at the universal VM for a few
weeks now, no-one realized the sound plugin didn't actually work
right because
of endianess issues, or that type and creator codes on files are
being reversed because Apple stores that meta data in Big endian form
only.

One thing that would be good are a few folks that would be willing to
run down a spreadsheet of
functionality and make SUnits to check the suggested results, not
only would this ensure the macintel
Vm is healthily it could be used to cross check answers from other VM
implementations (aka windows/unix/Risc/PDA?)

So, hopefully in a few days we should have a VM available, til then
be patient.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: pending mac vm 3.8.11b2 universal

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi john

where can I find the list of topics to require tests?

On 11 mars 06, at 00:20, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I had hoped to push the 3.8.11b2 universal out, but we needed just
> one more test, then I decided to recompile all the plugins. Because
> of the platform change I'm altering how plugins are loaded, in
> 3.8.11b2 forward we will load them from the application resource
> folder and ignore other locations unless we cannot find them in the
> resources folder.  This is because non-universal plugins aren't run
> under rosetta and what you get back is the plugin failed to load,
> which is very confusing.
>
> That is taking awhile to confirm and test, really the issue is that
> we need a proper test suite to confirm the VM platform specific
> code works as expected. For
> example although we've had people poke at the universal VM for a
> few weeks now, no-one realized the sound plugin didn't actually
> work right because
> of endianess issues, or that type and creator codes on files are
> being reversed because Apple stores that meta data in Big endian
> form only.
>
> One thing that would be good are a few folks that would be willing
> to run down a spreadsheet of
> functionality and make SUnits to check the suggested results, not
> only would this ensure the macintel
> Vm is healthily it could be used to cross check answers from other
> VM implementations (aka windows/unix/Risc/PDA?)
>
> So, hopefully in a few days we should have a VM available, til then
> be patient.

> =====
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =====

Re: pending mac vm 3.8.11b2 universal

johnmci
Likely I need to assemble a list of the support code functions on a
wiki somewhere. However I've a Sophie team meeting here
on vancouver island all week, so I doubt I'll get to it this week.

On 11-Mar-06, at 8:02 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Hi john
>
> where can I find the list of topics to require tests?
>
> On 11 mars 06, at 00:20, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> I had hoped to push the 3.8.11b2 universal out, but we needed just
>> one more test

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: pending mac vm 3.8.11b2 universal

johnmci
Earlier this evening I managed to compile a suite of plugins and get
a Mac universal VM and plugin setup for running Sophie.
Still a bit more testing, I happen to now know the services plugin
doesn't work because of a endian issue with OSType

> On 11 mars 06, at 00:20, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> I had hoped to push the 3.8.11b2 universal out, but we needed just
>> one more test,

===